Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What is bad about Trials and how can they be fixed?

jackleminer55
jackleminer55
✭✭✭
So I have not yet done any Trials because I'm only Vet 1, but I have heard about how it is extremely hard to find groups to do Trials with. I would love to do them once I am a high enough level, but I would like to know two things:

First, what is so bad about them that so few people do them.

And second, for ZOS,what can ZOS do to make them better so that people will actually play them?
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Honestly, I think there is nothing wrong with trials. This is the most common activity for veteran guilds and there are hundreds of players doing them every night.
    Wololo.
  • jackleminer55
    jackleminer55
    ✭✭✭
    ok @Gyudan‌, I've just heard about how it is very hard to find a group to do them with.
  • jackleminer55
    jackleminer55
    ✭✭✭
    Also, how is the rewards for Trials? Do you get good loot and is the itemization in general pretty good? What about he incentive to do them?
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you are under veteran 10, I guess that it will be quite hard to find a group because everyone will simply assume that you cannot handle that content.
    (You don't have the gear or the experience, etc.)

I have been doing trials regularly since August with guildies and it's always been a lot of fun. Competing for the weekly leaderboards is always interesting.

I recently started doing them on another character that I've been leveling. Some random trial group was looking for a healer for Aetherian Archive and I joined with my VR12 templar. I didn't need to post an achievement to get in, but the group wasn't very organized and we wiped twice on the Mage (final boss) before some strategy improvements finally paid off and we completed it.

There are all kinds of players doing trials, from the groups completing it in under 10 minutes to the ones that still lack coordination and barely make it to the final boss. Keep leveling and you'll get to play trials too.

Edit:

As for the itemization, it depends on the trials. The Mage (Aetherian Archive) and The Warrior (Hel Ra Citadel) were added a while ago and still scale only to VR12. The Serpent (Sanctum Ophidia), however, has the best loot available in the game for stamina DPS. Don't expect to finish it with a casual group though, it is much more complicated than the first two.

The weekly rewards are one legendary trial item for each character present in the top100 leaderboards at the end of each week. These scale up to VR14.
    Edited by Gyudan on December 21, 2014 1:15AM
    Wololo.
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also, how is the rewards for Trials? Do you get good loot and is the itemization in general pretty good? What about he incentive to do them?

AA/Hel Ra - rewards are absolutely useless at this point

SO - Medium set is nice, other sets still suck

So, if you're interested in being a good stamina dps, then there's plenty of incentive for doing SO. Not so much for the magicka builds or tanks I'm afraid.

The jewelry/weapon sets are also sub-optimal (there are equal/better sets much more easily accessible).
  • Vahn
    Vahn
    Aether set is still the go to set for basically all magicka DPS builds right now, so there's plenty of reason to run trials.

I think what you are hearing about it being hard to find a group for trials is being able to find a group that will take someone new, a lot of people only want experienced players because they are aiming for speed runs with good times. So you have to find a group willing to run a training run for you to learn.
  • xMovingTarget
    xMovingTarget
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Only thing wrong with the Trials is The friggin' orb mechanic at Serpent. Its way too random. But other than that they are fine.

In my Opinion they are too easy and too short. ;)

Dat damn Nerf Train Hit Hard!
  • JuL1aN
    JuL1aN
    ✭✭
    Only thing wrong with the Trials is The friggin' orb mechanic at Serpent. Its way too random. But other than that they are fine.

I agree 100%.
    J-L-N | eXile
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    JuL1aN wrote: »

I agree 100%.

They were talking about "more traditional raids" a couple months back...
    We'll see when Murkmire comes out I guess :neutral_face:

I for one miss the big epic raids from other MMOs, where every boss dropped something useful & was a challenge to down and you rarely had to leave "empty handed", even if you only failed to kill the last of the multiple bosses.
    This sentiment actually applies to dungeons as well, not only trials.
    Edited by DDuke on December 29, 2014 1:13AM
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DDuke wrote: »

It's supposedly solo PVE, so I'm not sure if we'll get a new trial.
    Wololo.
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gyudan wrote: »

It's supposedly solo PVE, so I'm not sure if we'll get a new trial.

Wrothgar=solo PvE zone
    Murkmire=grp PvE zone (a la Craglorn)

But you're right, Wrothgar is actually the first of the zones to release (as stated by ZOS, can't remember where).

However, I wouldn't be 100% certain there won't be group content included as well, since they've only said the zone itself would be solo PvE (nothing about dungeons/trials possibly located in there).

I really hope it's not just solo PvE, because that would put the next PvE group content release 4-6 months away.
    I wonder how long SO is going to keep entertaining people...
    Edited by DDuke on December 29, 2014 2:23AM
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'v HEARD that its hard to find groups due to people wanting to do them in 10 minutes: these groups don't take casuals or newbies.
    Edited by Cody on January 4, 2015 4:51AM
  • xMovingTarget
    xMovingTarget
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I wonder how long SO is going to keep entertaining people...

*yawn* does that answer your question?
  • Kraen
    Kraen
    ✭✭✭
    Initial Trials like AA and Hel Ra were too easy because devs underestimated performance of players. That was fixed in Sanctum - it was and still is challenging Trial.

However, its almost 4 months out. Its boring, mainly because of no rewards = no reason to repeat it.

The only thing that is wrong about current Trials (SO) are people crying for additional nerfs. The content is "too hard", mechanics "too random" (I die sometimes, ZOS pls fix), and in the end, we´ll have content beatable by anyone within 20 minutes.

Suggestions: No additional nerfs, reward system
    So, if you're interested in being a good stamina dps, then there's plenty of incentive for doing SO.

All the Serpent sets are useless vs craft and PvP sets if you look at their usage in PvE. Including medium one.
    Edited by Kraen on January 10, 2015 4:45PM
    Finneas of Baby Face Bananas
    Free to Play? No, thx.