The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)

Were can you find/buy turpen

MadSuperHero
MadSuperHero
Soul Shriven
Hey i'm new to ESO and I just want to know where to find turpen or what it looks like or where to buy it from if its purchasable thanks
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    you can get it from deconstructing items of the color of the resin you need, or you can buy it from guild stores. You can also get it from hireling mail.

and welcome! :)
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the Wood Extraction passive, you have a chance to get woodworking ingredients when refining raw wood into planks. Without it, you only get the green ingredients, but with it you can get all colors, blue(that's turpen) purple and yellow.
  • DeLindsay
    DeLindsay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »
    With the Wood Extraction passive, you have a chance to get woodworking ingredients when refining raw wood into planks. Without it, you only get the green ingredients, but with it you can get all colors, blue(that's turpen) purple and yellow.
    Incorrect. You have a chance to get ANY color of Temper material regardless of having 0/3 in Extraction, including Legendary, but the chances of each tier go down and the tier goes up. Even with 3/3 there's still a chance you WON'T get the Temper material to decon from the equivalent item. Anything up to Epic you have a reasonable chance to get the Epic Temper with 0/3, Legendary has a very small chance with 0/3. With 3/3 Extraction you are still not guaranteed a 100% chance even with the Green tier of Tempers.

EDIT: Above comment applies to DECONSTRUCTION only.

OP, Green/Blue Tempers are a plague to Crafters, so you should be able to find them VERY cheap.
    Edited by DeLindsay on December 26, 2014 5:41PM
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DeLindsay wrote: »
    Incorrect. You have a chance to get ANY color of Temper material regardless of having 0/3 in Extraction, including Legendary, but the chances of each tier go down and the tier goes up. Even with 3/3 there's still a chance you WON'T get the Temper material to decon from the equivalent item. Anything up to Epic you have a reasonable chance to get the Epic Temper with 0/3, Legendary has a very small chance with 0/3. With 3/3 Extraction you are still not guaranteed a 100% chance even with the Green tier of Tempers.

OP, Green/Blue Tempers are a plague to Crafters, so you should be able to find them VERY cheap.

Well. I have played the game for several months without knowing that the extraction passives allow for blue+ to be gained while refining. I thought they only increase the chance of gaining a blue+ component when deconstructing items, so i did not buy the passive (skillpoints were precious, as i was doing all crafts on my main).

During those few months i got two crafts to 42+(virtually maxed out). And i did not get a single upgrade component from refining except for greens.

Take it for what it's worth.
  • DeLindsay
    DeLindsay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well. I have played the game for several months without knowing that the extraction passives allow for blue+ to be gained while refining. I thought they only increase the chance of gaining a blue+ component when deconstructing items, so i did not buy the passive (skillpoints were precious, as i was doing all crafts on my main).

During those few months i got two crafts to 42+(virtually maxed out). And i did not get a single upgrade component from refining except for greens.

I always thought the same thing until about 2 weeks ago. I have a single character with 3/3 Extraction in all professions so I can refine/decon on them and save the points on my other toons. I had always decon'd Epic+ on that character until I didn't care anymore since I'm sitting with almost 2 stacks of each type so I started decon'ing even Epics on my other alts that I'm still leveling crafting for more 3/3 hirelings. I was shocked when I got an Epic Temper from an armor item on an alt with 0/3. I haven't tried a Legendary item yet but I can say 100% that I don't always get a Leg Temper back when I decon one on the toon with 3/3. I've even not got back a Green Temper before on that toon.

EDIT: My decon toon with 3/3 has been so since about 2 months after launch, so I've been doing it a good while now.
    Edited by DeLindsay on December 26, 2014 4:47PM
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I always thought the same thing until about 2 weeks ago. I have a single character with 3/3 Extraction in all professions so I can refine/decon on them and save the points on my other toons. I had always decon'd Epic+ on that character until I didn't care anymore since I'm sitting with almost 2 stacks of each type so I started decon'ing even Epics on my other alts that I'm still leveling crafting for more 3/3 hirelings. I was shocked when I got an Epic Temper from an armor item on an alt with 0/3. I haven't tried a Legendary item yet but I can say 100% that I don't always get a Leg Temper back when I decon one on the toon with 3/3. I've even not got back a Green Temper before on that toon.

EDIT: My decon toon with 3/3 has been so since about 2 months after launch, so I've been doing it a good while now.
    That's deconning, but what about refining?
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That is something else than what i was talking about tho.

You always could get blue+ crafting mats from deconstructing items of that color, even without the extraction passive. What i was talking about is getting blue+ mats from refining raw materials. That is, AFAIK, only possible with the extraction passive.
  • DeLindsay
    DeLindsay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as I know, yes, Refining to get Temper mats requires higher Extraction for the higher tiers. I actually don't think I've ever paid any attention to whether I got Blue+ on a toon with 0/3 Extraction but it's highly unlikely one could get Legendary or even Epic without that passive (now, since they changed it a few months ago).

EDIT: I see now that I miss-read your original post @Sharee, sorry bout that.
    Edited by DeLindsay on December 26, 2014 5:40PM
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as I know, yes, Refining to get Temper mats requires higher Extraction for the higher tiers. I actually don't think I've ever paid any attention to whether I got Blue+ on a toon with 0/3 Extraction but it's highly unlikely one could get Legendary or even Epic without that passive (now, since they changed it a few months ago).

EDIT: I see now that I miss-read your original post @Sharee, sorry bout that.

No problem.
  • Layenem
    Layenem
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just for clarification purposes, the "Extraction" type passives only increase your chance at getting an upgrade material (regardless of rarity), it does not allow you to get better materials. You can do that without the passive just as a MUCH lower rate.

Been doing it since January before launch on the PTS. It hasn't changed in live. Though... the rate at which we get the upgrade materials (decon or refining) has been decreased by a large margin.

If it's really that important I'll make a useless 3 minute video of me refining a ton of items. I'd much rather not.
  • DeLindsay
    DeLindsay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Layenem wrote: »
    Just for clarification purposes, the "Extraction" type passives only increase your chance at getting an upgrade material (regardless of rarity), it does not allow you to get better materials. You can do that without the passive just as a MUCH lower rate.
    This is accurate.