The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Hello new player here.

Castagere
Castagere
✭✭✭✭✭
Hello all i just finished the tutorial. I'm a huge Tes fan since Dagger. So far i'm figuring things out. I do have one question about weapons. You get to use two types right? And if i pick a bow and 2hand do they show up on my characters back like in Skyrim? Also should i mix max armor so i can better level the different types?

Thank you for replies.
  • Artemiisia
    Artemiisia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you will be able to have weapon swap at lvl 15, where you have the abilitity to use two different weapon types, or two of the same weapons with two skill bars

Like, I have two destruction staffs, one cast bar for single target dps, and the other for area of damage dps.

while you level your char, I recommend mix max armor, so you have all 3 skill lines at lvl 50 once you hit around lvl 47-48

never buy gear, you out level it to fast, and you get good enough level gear with bosses, mobs and such
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey, welcome to ESO. :)

You will unlock weapon swap at level 15. However, only one weapon will show on your character - the one that is currenly active. So no running around with a bow in your hand and a two-hander on your back at the same time.

The more pieces of one type of armor you wear, the faster it levels up. However, it is a good idea to mix all three at first, so if you want to switch later, you don't have to level them up from scratch.
    Edited by Rosveen on December 21, 2014 12:50AM
  • Castagere
    Castagere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Artemiisia
    Also my skills hotbar seems to be missing. Any ideas where i need to look to activate them?
  • Artemiisia
    Artemiisia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    press K ingame, there you will see your Skill lines, where you can pick and choose

expert tip, pick 1 skill in every of your class skill line from start, so you start leveling all 3 skill lines up + go to world magic, and put the first skill in your cast bar as well, until you be able to use 5 from your class skills early game
  • Castagere
    Castagere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok thanks so much guys. Hope to see you guys in game. I'm a Redguard though . Can you have characters in different factions?
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Castagere wrote: »
    Ok thanks so much guys. Hope to see you guys in game. I'm a Redguard though . Can you have characters in different factions?

You can create your 8 characters in any alliance. I have 4 in the Covenant, 2 in the Pact and 2 in the Dominion.
    There may be a limitation depending on the race you selected if you haven't picked the Imperial version of the game. For example, Redguards can only play in the Daggerfall Covenant with the basic version of the game.
    Wololo.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gyudan wrote: »

You can create your 8 characters in any alliance. I have 4 in the Covenant, 2 in the Pact and 2 in the Dominion.
    There may be a limitation depending on the race you selected if you haven't picked the Imperial version of the game. For example, Redguards can only play in the Daggerfall Covenant with the basic version of the game.
    Playing any race in any alliance was a pre-order bonus. The Imperial Edition lets you play as Imperials in any alliance, but other races are still locked.

• Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »

Playing any race in any alliance was a pre-order bonus. The Imperial Edition lets you play as Imperials in any alliance, but other races are still locked.

Good to know. Thanks for the clarification.
    Wololo.
  • Castagere
    Castagere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey guy i must have got lucky. The box i got from Amazon had the bonus where i can have any race in any faction with a pet. Just reached level 7. I can't remember this many deaths in the early levels of any mmo i've played before though. So unlucky with gear drops too. I still have level 4 stuff on.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's nice. The code, I mean, not the deaths. ;) Don't worry,you'll get better. By the way, did you stay in the zone where you arrived instead of going to the island (Khenarti's Roost, Bleakrock, Stros M'Kai - depending on your alliance)? That would spell quite a lot of deaths for a new player.
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Artemiisia wrote: »
    never buy gear, you out level it to fast, and you get good enough level gear with bosses, mobs and such

Never buy gear, unless you want to research the trait, and it just hasn't dropped (we are talking post Cold Harbour).

Also when you craft gear, do it at the crafting stations, so you get set bonuses. Most of us go five pieces of one set, four pieces of another (three if using staff/bow/2handed weapon)(more if we get rings and amulets in a set).
    Edited by AlexDougherty on December 21, 2014 2:28PM
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Castagere
    Castagere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's nice. The code, I mean, not the deaths. ;) Don't worry,you'll get better. By the way, did you stay in the zone where you arrived instead of going to the island (Khenarti's Roost, Bleakrock, Stros M'Kai - depending on your alliance)? That would spell quite a lot of deaths for a new player.

I mage a Redguard Dk. But i took 2h instead of 1h+board. I just noticed Redguard racial is for sheilds. So did i make a mistake? I'm only level 7 so i don't mind if i have to reroll. Trying figure out all the death. And it seems i don't get the dodge move unless i hit the keys really hard.
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I mage a Redguard Dk. But i took 2h instead of 1h+board. I just noticed Redguard racial is for sheilds. So did i make a mistake? I'm only level 7 so i don't mind if i have to reroll. Trying figure out all the death. And it seems i don't get the dodge move unless i hit the keys really hard.

Don't worry too much about your weapons, you can change them any time you want. At level 15, you will get the ability to use a secondary weapon that will have its own ability bar, so you can pick sword and shield at that time or right now or start training with a bow or restoration staff. It's really up to you.
    When you finish the first large zone, around level 15+ you will also be able to reset all the skillpoints that you allocated into skills, so don't worry too much about mistakes.

Dodging require double tapping the movement keys. You can change that in the game controls. Blocking is also quite important in the game, especially when enemies with 2 handed weapons use heavy attacks on you, because they will knock you back if you aren't blocking and it kinda hurts.

Welcome to ESO. :)
    Wololo.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Like Gyudan said, welcome to ESO. If you are having trouble finding decent armor, remember that you can pick up materials anywhere as you play and go to crafting stations - I tend to deconstruct most everything I pick up. For low-level characters it's important for a few reasons. 1-if you get to level 3 in most crafts, you can get a hireling to send you stuff daily (includes random style materials and trait materials as you get higher), 2-you can harvest *some* materials from deconstructing (more as you get higher in the craft) and 3-you can make armor to suit you (keep an eye out for style books).

Also if you run into trouble, you might just try asking for help from the /zone; heck if I happen to be on, I'm usually happy to make a few peices of armor for someone who needs it. Some will charge you or want a trade. Think of it as part of making the world come alive.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Castagere
    Castagere
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't worry too much about your weapons, you can change them any time you want. At level 15, you will get the ability to use a secondary weapon that will have its own ability bar, so you can pick sword and shield at that time or right now or start training with a bow or restoration staff. It's really up to you.
    When you finish the first large zone, around level 15+ you will also be able to reset all the skillpoints that you allocated into skills, so don't worry too much about mistakes.

Dodging require double tapping the movement keys. You can change that in the game controls. Blocking is also quite important in the game, especially when enemies with 2 handed weapons use heavy attacks on you, because they will knock you back if you aren't blocking and it kinda hurts.

Ok because i really want to use a bow and 2h for this character. So i will start training bow now. I'm in daggerfall city. Is there good zones around the city where i can grind up my bow skills without dieing so much?
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you are using a bow and want to avoid dying as a low level PC 1-sneak; that first shot will do more damage if they don't see you coming, 2-wear heavy armor (or mostly heavy) at low levels 'cause you need the protection, and 3-use the 3d (non first person, whatever you call it view) and learn to dodge really well.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The first racial passive, armor or weapon expertise, doesn't matter in the long run. The cap is the same for everyone, you'll just reach it a little faster. In no way does it mean you should use a particular kind of weapon with your race. Redguards have great stamina passives, so you'll do well with a two-hander.

Ok because i really want to use a bow and 2h for this character. So i will start training bow now. I'm in daggerfall city. Is there good zones around the city where i can grind up my bow skills without dieing so much?
    Don't bother grinding. For now keep using 2h, but unlock Poison Arrow and put it on your bar. You won't be able to use it, but it will gain experience for the bow skill so it's ready when you get weapon swap.
    Or the other way around, use a bow but keep one 2h skill, whatever you prefer. :)

You didn't answer, so I'm going to assume you stayed in Daggerfall and haven't been to the starter islands yet. There's an NPC in the docks who will take you to Stros M'Kai - the quest's name is The Broken Sparhead, you may already have it in your journal. It's a great place to start with tons of materials to gather, so you'll be able to easily craft better armor and weapon (definitely take up crafting, it's very useful).

Go into settings and rebind dodge roll to a single key. It makes dodging so much easier. As a DK, use Stonefist to keep enemies down. Dark Talons + Cleave is probably a pretty good combination for groups (probably, because my DK never used a two-hander. ;))
  • Castagere
    Castagere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first racial passive, armor or weapon expertise, doesn't matter in the long run. The cap is the same for everyone, you'll just reach it a little faster. In no way does it mean you should use a particular kind of weapon with your race. Redguards have great stamina passives, so you'll do well with a two-hander.

Don't bother grinding. For now keep using 2h, but unlock Poison Arrow and put it on your bar. You won't be able to use it, but it will gain experience for the bow skill so it's ready when you get weapon swap.
    Or the other way around, use a bow but keep one 2h skill, whatever you prefer. :)

You didn't answer, so I'm going to assume you stayed in Daggerfall and haven't been to the starter islands yet. There's an NPC in the docks who will take you to Stros M'Kai - the quest's name is The Broken Sparhead, you may already have it in your journal. It's a great place to start with tons of materials to gather, so you'll be able to easily craft better armor and weapon (definitely take up crafting, it's very useful).

Go into settings and rebind dodge roll to a single key. It makes dodging so much easier. As a DK, use Stonefist to keep enemies down. Dark Talons + Cleave is probably a pretty good combination for groups (probably, because my DK never used a two-hander. ;))

I did go to Stros M'Kai and did the quest there and came back to Daggerfall to tell them the Orcs will join us. Tell me more about rebinding dodge key please.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I did go to Stros M'Kai and did the quest there and came back to Daggerfall to tell them the Orcs will join us. Tell me more about rebinding dodge key please.
    Ah, I see. I thought you didn't because I'm always level 8 when I leave the islands.

Well, it's somewhere in settings -> controls. Double-tapping isn't very reliable, so I bound it to a key on my mouse and now I can roll with a single button press. You can do the same with interrupt/CC break (left+right mouse button by default). Always interrupt enemy healers, in fact make killing healers your priority. Learn to block heavy attacks - when you do, it briefly stuns the attacker and you can knock them down with a heavy attack of your own. Don't stand in the red, but this one's pretty obvious. :) You don't always have to dodge roll, though. You can simply step out of some area attacks.

• driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Hit ESC to get to your settings. From there you can get into controls and your key bindings. By default the dodge roll in not bound. I don't know what kind
    of mouse you use, but I have a couple side buttons on mine. I bound dodge roll to one of them as it gives me better control over double tapping.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Castagere: here's a good tip for leveling stuff.
    When you are about to turn in a big quest, switch the abilities on your bar to the ones you want to level. When you get the quest XP, it will be allocated to all the skills on your active bar and will improve the associated weapon or class lines.

This is even easier to do when you get access to weapon switch because you can even keep using all your main skills on your primary bar and leave all the ones you want to level up on the secondary bar if you're not using it. Switch weapons before turning in the quest ... the skill bars switch too ... and tadaaa! you get to level up those unused skills too. :)

It is actually not possible to rebind a single key to roll dodge in all 4 direction (sorry I was wrong). You can bind one to roll dodging backwards (ESC>CONTROLS>Roll Dodge) but not in the other 3 directions. You can still adjust the double tap speed (ESC>SETTINGS>Gameplay>Double Tap Speed) to dodge more easily by simply hitting any movement key twice in quick succession, with the speed that fits you.
    Wololo.
  • Castagere
    Castagere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Castagere: here's a good tip for leveling stuff.
    When you are about to turn in a big quest, switch the abilities on your bar to the ones you want to level. When you get the quest XP, it will be allocated to all the skills on your active bar and will improve the associated weapon or class lines.

This is even easier to do when you get access to weapon switch because you can even keep using all your main skills on your primary bar and leave all the ones you want to level up on the secondary bar if you're not using it. Switch weapons before turning in the quest ... the skill bars switch too ... and tadaaa! you get to level up those unused skills too. :)

It is actually not possible to rebind a single key to roll dodge in all 4 direction (sorry I was wrong). You can bind one to roll dodging backwards (ESC>CONTROLS>Roll Dodge) but not in the other 3 directions. You can still adjust the double tap speed (ESC>SETTINGS>Gameplay>Double Tap Speed) to dodge more easily by simply hitting any movement key twice in quick succession, with the speed that fits you.

Wow ok that's a cool idea about switching weapons before turning in quest. Thank you so much for that. I do have 2 buttons off to the side of my left mouse button that i will try to bind dodge too.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can roll in any direction if you hold the movement key. I find it more convenient to hold A + press dodge than double tap A. This might be because I'm awful at repeated key tapping, just one more reason why I hate QTEs.
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can roll in any direction if you hold the movement key. I find it more convenient to hold A + press dodge than double tap A. This might be because I'm awful at repeated key tapping, just one more reason why I hate QTEs.

Oh, I didn't even know that it was possible. Thanks for the clarification!
    I guess that this solution would go perfectly with binding dodge to a side mouse button: hold "move right" key and press dodge to dodge to the right.
    Edited by Gyudan on December 21, 2014 7:55PM
    Wololo.
  • WraithAzraiel
    WraithAzraiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone's pretty much touched on and answered your questions, so I'll just say:

Welcome to the shenanigans and enjoy your stay
    Shendell De'Gull - V14 Vampire Nightblade

Captain of the Black Howling

"There's no such thing as overkill..."

"No problem on the face of the Earth exists what can't be fixed with the proper application of enough duct tape and 550 cord."

P2PBetaTesters
    #Tamriel_BETA_Team
    #BETA_TESTER4LYF
    DominionMasterRace
    #GOAHEADTHEYGOTCANDY
    #SEEMSLEGIT
  • Castagere
    Castagere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone's pretty much touched on and answered your questions, so I'll just say:

Welcome to the shenanigans and enjoy your stay

Thank you.