The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Taking things lying around?

LMar
LMar
✭✭✭✭✭
Hey all.
I have a question regarding the things you find lying about in towns e.g. weapons and clothes near crafting tables. Do they belong to someone? Is it considered stealing if I take it and does it affect my character in some way? Also, are they local to my character or do other players see things going missing?

Any clarification would be most welcome as my character would not like to be considered a thieving scoundrel but if the material is there to be utilised for free then fair enough
"If a stick of fish is a fish stick, it will stick like other fish sticks stick"
"Taller races now sit in chairs correctly"
  • Syntse
    Syntse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are not considered stealing at least not yet. We'll have to see if this changes after justice system comes.
    Syntse Dominion Khajiit Dragonknight Stamina Tank [50]
    Ra'Syntse Dominion Khajiit Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
    Syntselle Dominion Dark Elf Dragonknight Magica DPS [50]
    Syntseus Dominion Imperial Templar Healer [50]
    Syntsetar Dominion High Elf Sorcerer Magica DPS [50]
    Friar Tuktuk Daggerfall Brenton Templar Healer [50]
    Syntseyn Ebonheart Brenton Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    LMar wrote: »
    Also, are they local to my character or do other players see things going missing?

I think they are general items, so other players should see them missing, not that they are any good, junk items that would probably be better left as part of the background (number of times I've picked up a sword/bow/boot trying to click on a moving vendor).
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LMar wrote: »

Any clarification would be most welcome as my character would not like to be considered a thieving scoundrel but if the material is there to be utilised for free then fair enough

The stuff you find lying around is pretty much worthless except for one thing. If you decon it you get little to no materials, a small amount of Inspiration (crafting exp) and they don't get any gold when you sell them. I don't even bother to pick them up except by accident.

The exception is, the 0 Cost items you get from loot containers I had heard have the appearance of Epic Gear so you can at least see what that looks like without wasting the tempers to upgrade it. I don't know if the stuff laying around outside of containers is the same way.

Note if you find a Green Item in a container that is worthwhile the same as any other mob loot for using, selling or deconning.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Lmar,

Certain things like a piece of bread or a random chest plate lying on a table have little to no value and are really only there for looks but can be looted with no reprocussion. This will change with the introduction of the Justice System, in which one can actually follow a "thief" trajectory. These items, as in previous ES games, will be visible in red upon the option to loot it.

Nodes with crafting materials like flowers or an ore mine are global, meaning everyone can harvest it. When you harvest it, it disappears for everyone and spawns again on a timer. it is possible to "steal" a node from another player if for example a player rushed to that node surrounded by npcs with you in tow right behind. That player then begins fighting off the Npcs while you sneak in and harvest the node from under them. Same goes for treasure chests.

Loot drops from npcs are local so no need to worry about "stealing" from players while looting dead Npcs.

Edited by Cuyler on December 19, 2014 5:32PM
    Guild: STACK n BURN (gm) PC - NA
    CP 810 18 Maxed Characters:
    "How hard can u guar?" - Rafishul[/spoiler]
  • LMar
    LMar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent thanks. :)
    "If a stick of fish is a fish stick, it will stick like other fish sticks stick"
    "Taller races now sit in chairs correctly"