The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Horse Rentals

Gidorick
Gidorick
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
A player can buy a horse for a whopping 14,000 gold. For a player just starting out, that’s pretty daunting. While, yes, a player can buy a horse from the Cash shop for $15, there really should be another option for players.

I propose there be a horse rental option where a player can rent a horse for 500 gold for 24 hours. This would mean allow those that don’t have the gold available to buy a horse to rent one for a considerably lower price, even though a player who rents a horse every day for 30 days would spend the amount it would cost to buy a horse.

The horse should be able to be rented from the stables. The rental horse shouldn’t have any abilities to upgrade and a player should be given the option to “re-rent” the horse when their rental is up, no matter where they are. This should be a pop-up that gives the option to re-rent the horse. If the player chooses “no” they must revisit a stable to rent the horse again. If they do not have the coin when their rental expires, they can only select “no”. Having the pop-up in this instance will simply let the player know their rental is up, even if they can’t afford to extend the rental period.

Oh, and ideally… the “rental horse” should be a donkey… :p
What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
That's right... Horse.
Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • ers101284b14_ESO
    ers101284b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was 17k. And honestly 17k is not that bad in this game. I got my first horse at level 12 and that was before the reward buff.
  • Drasn
    Drasn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fear my 1 gold imperial steed army.
  • SRIBES
    SRIBES
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tbh I love this idea. Add in Guar/Khajiit breed mounts + riding on your friends horse with them and I will love the mount system.

600 gold 20 hours +10 gold per extra speed/stam/inv space so players can have higher speed mounts at a low level. 1500 gold + 10 gold for each stat bumped for 43k horse rental.

Edited by SRIBES on December 11, 2014 4:46AM
  • Jagath
    Jagath
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest horses are not that important. With the ability to port to guild mates/group members and just plain running it really is all the transportation you will need especially just starting out. By the time you hit mid level 20's you should have plenty of extra cash if you wanted to buy one.
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fear my 1 gold imperial steed army.

^This.

I have no idea how someone could afford a horse by level 12. Maybe my crafting ways of deconstructing instead of censoring was at fault? But I felt I wouldn't have a horse until VR (and never had enough money in the bank until VR3) so I went with the imperial edition and have never regretted it.

[Edit] Oh yeah, I think rental donkeys would be a good idea. I would say more so at a price of 750/day though.
    Edited by MissBizz on December 11, 2014 4:43AM
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • dharbert
    dharbert
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jagath wrote: »
    To be honest horses are not that important. With the ability to port to guild mates/group members and just plain running it really is all the transportation you will need especially just starting out. By the time you hit mid level 20's you should have plenty of extra cash if you wanted to buy one.

Tried running across Cyrodiil, have you? Let me know how far you get, and how long it took.
    Edited by dharbert on December 11, 2014 4:44AM
  • Jagath
    Jagath
    ✭✭✭
    dharbert wrote: »
    Jagath wrote: »

Tried running across Cyrodiil, have you?

sure..as often as i have before the mid level 20's
  • firstdecan
    firstdecan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rental horses would not be a good idea. If you've ever rented a horse, they tend to only know the trails they usually ride and will stick to those out of habit. They wouldn't be good for exploration, and will definitely not be of any use if you run into monsters. They're basically for children to ride at the state parks, not for general adventuring in Tamriel.
  • drschplatt
    drschplatt
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you're trying to level up crafting skills so that you're deconstructing everything you find, money is really hard to come by early in the game. I didn't have any extra money for a horse myself until I maxed out clothing, blacksmithing and woodworking so that I could just sell everything I found. I'd be in favor of a cheaper horse, actually.
    Foräois - Imperial Sorcerer of Ineptitude.
    Widoch - Nord Dragon Knight of Ignorance.
    Billy Bob - Dunmer Templar of Chicken and Noodles.
    Blades of Vengeance
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rent-able mounts could work well with the Crown Store. Let players RENT mounts they can buy for a limited amount of time but make it something like 100 in game gold per hour.

Donkey should still be available at a rate of say... 200 gold per day.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if this is a joke or a serious post.
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • StaticWax
    StaticWax
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think that players who sub should be able to use the F2P player's characters as mounts.
    Edited by StaticWax on February 4, 2015 3:26AM
    I wish nothing but joy for everyone.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Serious.

keep in mind...the post was written before the B2P announcement.
    Edited by Gidorick on February 4, 2015 3:33AM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Der_Deutsche_Hase
    I thought it was 17k. And honestly 17k is not that bad in this game. I got my first horse at level 12 and that was before the reward buff.

I got my first horse at level 13, because I didn't buy anything and sold everything I get and grinded for 19 hours to get 17.3k septims.

Now it looks like the horse will cost 10k. ZoS though should either keep it at 17.3k or lower the rest of the horses. 42k for a 15 capacity mount is really far fetching, just like 42k is far fetching for a speed horse. The only one worth it in my head is the Stamina horse, because you can buy inventory slots for less then 10k and get over 15 slots.

But yeah, no-one is going to save up for horses anymore, not now that the first one is so dirt cheap and now with the crown store where you can buy a horse for $10 USD, and 7 Euro.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I got my first horse at level 13, because I didn't buy anything and sold everything I get and grinded for 19 hours to get 17.3k septims.

Now it looks like the horse will cost 10k. ZoS though should either keep it at 17.3k or lower the rest of the horses. 42k for a 15 capacity mount is really far fetching, just like 42k is far fetching for a speed horse. The only one worth it in my head is the Stamina horse, because you can buy inventory slots for less then 10k and get over 15 slots.

But yeah, no-one is going to save up for horses anymore, not now that the first one is so dirt cheap and now with the crown store where you can buy a horse for $10 USD, and 7 Euro.

This is actually one reason I think rentals would work well. Players can try a horse before they buy. I had NO plans on buying the guar mount but after trying it on the PTS... I want one!
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do you feel the need to even suggest it may be a 'joke' (or did you really mean 'troll')?

The OP is a perfectly reasonable suggestion, I don't mind one way or the other, but it's not at all unreasonable.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gidorick wrote: »

Serious.

Yeah, post B2P it has a lot less merit. The cheap horse is getting knocked down to 10k, which isn't a hard mark to hit now. And that's an account wide unlock. So, once you get one character to around level 7 or 8, you should be covered.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Serious.

Yeah, post B2P it has a lot less merit. The cheap horse is getting knocked down to 10k, which isn't a hard mark to hit now. And that's an account wide unlock. So, once you get one character to around level 7 or 8, you should be covered.

The "play" of this game is going to change quite a bit. :neutral_face:
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    A player can buy a horse for a whopping 14,000 gold. For a player just starting out, that’s pretty daunting. While, yes, a player can buy a horse from the Cash shop for $15, there really should be another option for players.

I propose there be a horse rental option where a player can rent a horse for 500 gold for 24 hours. This would mean allow those that don’t have the gold available to buy a horse to rent one for a considerably lower price, even though a player who rents a horse every day for 30 days would spend the amount it would cost to buy a horse.

The horse should be able to be rented from the stables. The rental horse shouldn’t have any abilities to upgrade and a player should be given the option to “re-rent” the horse when their rental is up, no matter where they are. This should be a pop-up that gives the option to re-rent the horse. If the player chooses “no” they must revisit a stable to rent the horse again. If they do not have the coin when their rental expires, they can only select “no”. Having the pop-up in this instance will simply let the player know their rental is up, even if they can’t afford to extend the rental period.

Oh, and ideally… the “rental horse” should be a donkey… :p

Right...you could save your $ for 28 days and have one purchased outright.

$17k is intimidating, up to about level 10. Gold come pretty easy and pretty quick after that.

Beyond that, you can walk/run (you're going to probably miss quest opportunities if you're galloping along) - those translate to XP's and $, and there are wayshrines everywhere.

You honestly never have to go that far on foot, except for the very first time.

You figure the basic level horses give you two things:
    No loss to stamina (as long as you don't get dismounted), and 10% increased movement speed...

Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MissBizz wrote: »

I have no idea how someone could afford a horse by level 12. Maybe my crafting ways of deconstructing instead of censoring was at fault?

Yes if you decon or research loot, your poor but crafty. If you vendor your rich but can't make anything for yourself.

My New Tempar which has no crafting skills at all (I have other crafters so no need really) has amassed an amazing amount of money. When everything other than the few researchables gets vendored, gold amasses real fast. I think I had 15,000 before I left Stonefalls, 30K at the end of Deeshan, and then I started buying bag spaces on my character. Just going into the Rift, she has almost 40,000 and this is after maxing her bag space out, and leveling 3 Imperial Horses to at least L20. The only thing she spends money on is repairs and Glyphs and horse chow.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"