The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Need info on creating add-ons

Ourorboros
Ourorboros
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
First, I used search to see if any threads exist on this topic, but I get too many responses to search through. The search terms are too common in the forums.

I'm so tired of dealing with a lame UI and being dependent on add-ons, Since it seems apparent ZOS will not be changing UI anytime soon, and I love many of the features provided by add-ons, I want to at least explore the idea of learning how to create or maintain add-ons. If there are threads here, I'd appreciate a link. If not, perhaps some getting started suggestions.

I have no programming experience. I see that lua are basically text files. How big a task would it be to tackle with no experience? Can one learn how to just maintain existing broken, unsupported add-ons? Any basic getting started steps?
PC/NA/DC
Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Garkin
    Garkin
    ✭✭✭
    I while back I have posted this answer to reddit:

Garkin / EU / CSF guild
    My addons: SkyShards, LoreBooks, Dustman, Map Coordinates, No, thank you, ... (full list)
    I'm taking care of: Azurah - Interface Enhanced, Srendarr - Aura, Buff & Debuff Tracker and more
    My folder with updated/modified addons: DROPBOX
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks @Garkin. I'll use this as a starting point. I appreciate your work BTW.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Syntse
    Syntse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even though LUA might seem pretty simple. For me it is not one of the simple ones. I know some basics on Basic, Pascal, C++, Java, Javascript, PHP. Most of the time I can read addon LUA code and understand what it does and maybe fix some minor things. Making own addon from the beginning might be bit difficult.

How I would maybe go with it would be to learn bit of something easy like JavaScript and PHP to get into basics of programming and this way it will make it much more easier to understand and learn LUA.
    Syntse Dominion Khajiit Dragonknight Stamina Tank [50]
    Ra'Syntse Dominion Khajiit Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
    Syntselle Dominion Dark Elf Dragonknight Magica DPS [50]
    Syntseus Dominion Imperial Templar Healer [50]
    Syntsetar Dominion High Elf Sorcerer Magica DPS [50]
    Friar Tuktuk Daggerfall Brenton Templar Healer [50]
    Syntseyn Ebonheart Brenton Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
  • Garkin
    Garkin
    ✭✭✭
    If you know another languages, you might be interested in this article:
    http://www.luafaq.org/gotchas.html

And by the way it's Lua, not LUA. Lua means "Moon" in Portuguese.
    (http://www.lua.org/about.html#name).
    Edited by Garkin on December 10, 2014 2:46PM
    Garkin / EU / CSF guild
    My addons: SkyShards, LoreBooks, Dustman, Map Coordinates, No, thank you, ... (full list)
    I'm taking care of: Azurah - Interface Enhanced, Srendarr - Aura, Buff & Debuff Tracker and more
    My folder with updated/modified addons: DROPBOX