The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Suggestions on increasing my DPS

Surfinginhawaii
Surfinginhawaii
✭✭✭
I would appreciate any suggestions on increasing my dps, I rarely hit 1,000 and usually do between 400 - 600 dps. I'm using 3 pieces of Soulshine, 4 pieces of Torug's Pact and 3 pieces of Twilight's Embrace.

I start of with igneous weapons, I do a heavy attack, engulfing flames, unstable flames, 4 crushing shock and then repeat. Below are pictures of my stats with and without igneous weapons. Maybe I'm just lousy but any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm using 7 pieces of light armor and enchanted all those pieces with magicka.

t0kfqh875hmz.png
qhs3rsjghbvd.png
Edited by Surfinginhawaii on November 30, 2014 5:21PM
  • Tonturri
    Tonturri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Going under the assumption you don't do thse things

Morph flame whip to Lava lash. Keep it on your bar, spam it instead of Crushing Shock

Weave light attacks. I didn't see any mention of you doing that in your post, so assuming you don't do it.

If you want to stick with crushing shock, morph Weakness to Elements to Elemental Drain, which will help a lot with magicka. If you have magicka problems while using Flame Lash, use the 5set from Seducer.
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would appreciate any suggestions on increasing my dps, I rarely hit 1,000 and usually do between 400 - 600 dps. I'm using 3 pieces of Soulshine, 4 pieces of Torug's Pact and 3 pieces of Twilight's Embrace.

I do not know DK rotations, but I think you could improve itemization.
    - Your magicka seems a bit low, it should be softcapped imho. Are you using the best glyphs available? Is your gear at least in epic (purple) quality?
    - 3-4 Aether (Wise Mage) is very effective for DPS with the 8% crit (3 pieces) and extra spell damage (4 pieces).
    Wololo.
  • itsBishop
    itsBishop
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you have the basic rotation down, now you need to start learning to weave light/medium attacks between each skill. Also, as others have mentioned, your magicka seems quite low. I would respec your attribute points to where you land near 3k in health with blue food (you also don't seem to have your food buff in the pics) and dump the rest in magicka.
    Purple

World Record SO - 27m 38s
    NA First SO Speedrun Achievement
  • Surfinginhawaii
    Surfinginhawaii
    ✭✭✭
    itsBishop wrote: »
    Sounds like you have the basic rotation down, now you need to start learning to weave light/medium attacks between each skill. Also, as others have mentioned, your magicka seems quite low. I would respec your attribute points to where you land near 3k in health with blue food (you also don't seem to have your food buff in the pics) and dump the rest in magicka.
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm using consummate honey brittle and I using it in those screen shots. I've respec and put enough points into health so I'm at 2,800 and magicka at close to the soft cap. My spell damage is now at the soft cap also. I believe weaving is the answer which I need to practice, see the shot below. Thanks again everyone for the help.

Screenshot_20141130_095445_zps631efaa1.png
    Edited by Surfinginhawaii on November 30, 2014 8:30PM
  • spryler
    spryler
    ✭✭✭
    I play a DK fire mage (Altmer).

My single target bar looks like this -

Crushing Shock, Unstable Flame, Engulfing Flames, Molten Whip, Inner Light.

Inner light for the 20% crit boost, we rely heavily on crit to charge our Ultimates. Remember you get a damage boost when you stand in your DK standard.

Molten whip is on the bar to boost the spell damage of Unstable Flame and Engulfing Flame. I do not use Molten Whip as an attack because it works off of weapon crit, not spell crit.

You want to try to keep your uptime on your two DoTs (Engulfing Flames and Unstable Flames) as close to 100% as possible. It is rarely possible because of mechanics, but try nonetheless. You can download a DoT-timer add-on. DoT timer is one add-on I pretty much always have on any MMO, and usually the ONLY add-on.

Then as a previous post indicates, learn to weave light/med attacks and crushing shock. You shouldn't just spam crushing shock 4 times, that is a dps loss compared to weaving. I weave light attacks and crushing shock until I get low on mana, then switch to medium attack weaving.

My second bar is also a destro staff and has my AE abilities and buffs/utility skills on it.

Hope this helps!
  • s7732425ub17_ESO
    s7732425ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't use DPS numbers on a fight that takes 2.8 seconds... That pic you posted is worthless.

Get a group of 4 people (with you as DPS). Go to a Veteran Dungeon. Note how much DPS you do on a boss where you hit it constantly and do not have to move around the room and dodge a lot. This is the number you should be using. Monitor your DPS after every fight.

With crushing shock + light attack weaving, you should be getting 600 DPS every time. If you are running out of magica, you should use Elemental Drain on the boss. Since you are a DK, 600 DPS is noob. You should be getting 1k with ease just by applying your damage over times skills and resuming crushing shock.
  • Surfinginhawaii
    Surfinginhawaii
    ✭✭✭
    spryler wrote: »
    I play a DK fire mage (Altmer).

My single target bar looks like this -

Crushing Shock, Unstable Flame, Engulfing Flames, Molten Whip, Inner Light.

Inner light for the 20% crit boost, we rely heavily on crit to charge our Ultimates. Remember you get a damage boost when you stand in your DK standard.

Molten whip is on the bar to boost the spell damage of Unstable Flame and Engulfing Flame. I do not use Molten Whip as an attack because it works off of weapon crit, not spell crit.

You want to try to keep your uptime on your two DoTs (Engulfing Flames and Unstable Flames) as close to 100% as possible. It is rarely possible because of mechanics, but try nonetheless. You can download a DoT-timer add-on. DoT timer is one add-on I pretty much always have on any MMO, and usually the ONLY add-on.

Then as a previous post indicates, learn to weave light/med attacks and crushing shock. You shouldn't just spam crushing shock 4 times, that is a dps loss compared to weaving. I weave light attacks and crushing shock until I get low on mana, then switch to medium attack weaving.

My second bar is also a destro staff and has my AE abilities and buffs/utility skills on it.

Hope this helps!
    Thanks for the suggestions, I didn't realize Molten whip helps in spell damage.
  • spryler
    spryler
    ✭✭✭
    Please note Molten Whip only helps spell damage of Ardent Flame abilities (not overall spell damage). So only for the two dots that are up close and personal. If I am fighting a boss where I really will never get near them (due to mechanics), I will replace it with something that helps my light/medium attack weaving and crushing shock. Like evil hunter or elemental drain.

That big mechanical boss that's the last boss in one of the Vet dungeons is a good example. I totally change my bar for that one. The ardent flame abilities get replaced by Igneous Shields, Elemental Drain and one other. And I switch my second bar to resto staff.
  • Surfinginhawaii
    Surfinginhawaii
    ✭✭✭
    spryler wrote: »
    Please note Molten Whip only helps spell damage of Ardent Flame abilities (not overall spell damage). So only for the two dots that are up close and personal. If I am fighting a boss where I really will never get near them (due to mechanics), I will replace it with something that helps my light/medium attack weaving and crushing shock. Like evil hunter or elemental drain.

That big mechanical boss that's the last boss in one of the Vet dungeons is a good example. I totally change my bar for that one. The ardent flame abilities get replaced by Igneous Shields, Elemental Drain and one other. And I switch my second bar to resto staff.
    Gotcha and thanks for the information.
  • DeLindsay
    DeLindsay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From a NB perspective your Weapon Damage is a bit low. At VR12, with epic gear and (3) +14 Weapon dmg on Jewelry I'm able to hit 195, add Igneous Weapons to that number and it should push you even farther over soft cap, thus boosting Crushing Shock and your Light attack weaves. When I do my ST rotation it is 80% with Siphoning Attacks on (I lose 42 Weapon dmg with it active) and even if I fail to keep up Crippling Grasp (our obligatory DoT) and Focused Attacks (30% faster Light attacks) I can easily manage 7-800 DPS. And NB is still behind DK by 2-300 in ST DPS. My guess is that you are like me in that you aren't great at weaving Light attacks and maybe don't keep your DoT(s), temp buffs, etc with 100% uptime. I would say heeding the suggestions here plus continued practice is your best bet.
  • Surfinginhawaii
    Surfinginhawaii
    ✭✭✭
    DeLindsay wrote: »
    From a NB perspective your Weapon Damage is a bit low. At VR12, with epic gear and (3) +14 Weapon dmg on Jewelry I'm able to hit 195, add Igneous Weapons to that number and it should push you even farther over soft cap, thus boosting Crushing Shock and your Light attack weaves. When I do my ST rotation it is 80% with Siphoning Attacks on (I lose 42 Weapon dmg with it active) and even if I fail to keep up Crippling Grasp (our obligatory DoT) and Focused Attacks (30% faster Light attacks) I can easily manage 7-800 DPS. And NB is still behind DK by 2-300 in ST DPS. My guess is that you are like me in that you aren't great at weaving Light attacks and maybe don't keep your DoT(s), temp buffs, etc with 100% uptime. I would say heeding the suggestions here plus continued practice is your best bet.
    Thanks, I had my weapon damage at 217 with igneous weapons when I had my rings enchanted to weapon damage, then I re-enchanted them to spell damage. I definitely need the practice, prior to my respec I was doing dual wield and bow.
  • DeLindsay
    DeLindsay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, I had my weapon damage at 217 with igneous weapons when I had my rings enchanted to weapon damage, then I re-enchanted them to spell damage. I definitely need the practice, prior to my respec I was doing dual wield and bow.
    Exactly the same as me up through VR6 when I changed to Stick & Skirt when at that time nobody wanted ANY Stamina type builds as DPS in their group for anything. I just recently changed to the Crushing Shock build and have to admit weaving Crushing Shock has been a tad difficult for me compared to weaving Bow or Resto staff FunnelBlade build. The animation sometimes gets stuck almost like your character is pointing his/her Destro staff at an angle to the ground in front of you as if to point or something. Once I master that, and you as well, I'm sure the ESO standard 1K+ DPS will be no issue with regularity.
  • xMovingTarget
    xMovingTarget
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    http://youtu.be/tOb-Woujvm8

You are welcome ;) The people approved this build ;) you should be around 1.4k with this if done right.
  • Surfinginhawaii
    Surfinginhawaii
    ✭✭✭
    http://youtu.be/tOb-Woujvm8

You are welcome ;) The people approved this build ;) you should be around 1.4k with this if done right.

@xMovingTarget‌, I saw your build on youtube and tried to adopt that build. I don't have the Aether set and I couldn't achieve the numbers you did, I definitely think its player skill because you can achieve those numbers. You are a very good player while I am a mediocre player. Thanks!
  • Apokh
    Apokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Measuring DPS on a Lev40 mob...."You kno nuthing Jon Snow"^^
    Go to upper Craglorn and find Bittermaw to make a test or another Mob with at least 30k Hitpoints - even a 10k Mob is imo too low to get a feeling for a longer fight. In a Lev40 Scorpion I do 1.5k Damage with my 1H+Shield Equip with just pressing one button - it says nothing. Also Peaks in your damagemeter say nothing. The fight is over, when its over.
    Legenden
    Play@Feierabend mit der legendärsten Feierabendgilde.
    Besuch uns.
    Es ist besser zu schweigen und alle glauben zu lassen, man sei dumm, als den Mund aufzumachen und alle Zweifel zu beseitigen.
  • DeLindsay
    DeLindsay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apokh wrote: »
    Measuring DPS on a Lev40 mob...."You kno nuthing Jon Snow"^^
    Go to upper Craglorn and find Bittermaw to make a test or another Mob with at least 30k Hitpoints - even a 10k Mob is imo too low to get a feeling for a longer fight. In a Lev40 Scorpion I do 1.5k Damage with my 1H+Shield Equip with just pressing one button - it says nothing. Also Peaks in your damagemeter say nothing. The fight is over, when its over.
    That's true to a point. ALL Veteran enemies are considered level 50. And since enemies don't have Armor/Resistance to speak of (yet) you are going to do roughly the same DPS against a VR5/10 enemy as a VR13 enemy. The only difference is what you point out, time. Pretty much anyone can burst something with 10K Health down before resource burning, the real test is how one does after the point of running out of Magicka/Stamina.