Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Horse cost question

d_boy28b16_ESO
d_boy28b16_ESO
Soul Shriven
I'm thinking of buying ESO since it's on sale right now on Steam, and I'm wondering about the Imperial edition. The only real reason I would want it is to get the free horse, but how hard is it to save enough gold to get a horse currently? Is it something I'll be working at for weeks to get? Or is it fairly easy to save up for one?
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got my first horse (the more expensive 42K one) in the level 15-25 zone. I have been saving a lot tho (not buying anything, crafting new armor instead of repairing, etc.). 2-3 weeks i'd say.

One important point is that the free horse you get is the inferior version.

There are two horse tiers for sale, cheaper(17K i think) and expensive (42K). The expensive one has higher potential (maxed out it is better). The free horse is of the less-expensive variety(but it only costs 1 gold)
  • d_boy28b16_ESO
    d_boy28b16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I guess that's not too bad. I have a friend who used to play and he has the imperial horse, but he said he wouldn't mind running if I didn't have one.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess that's not too bad. I have a friend who used to play and he has the imperial horse, but he said he wouldn't mind running if I didn't have one.

You won't be riding the horse much anyway. I only got mine asap so i could increase my inventory (feeding horse for bag space).

Other than that, you want to walk, if only because there are lots of resources in the world you want to pick up as you go, and getting constantly on-off horse is a pain.
  • Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah, @Sharee is right... you can usually get your first horse somewhere around level 20.

& keep in mind... that's the first horse for your FIRST character, since your higher level characters can bank money for the lower ones.

:smile:
    { Forums are Weird........................ Nerfy nerfing nerf nerfers, buff you b'netches!....................... Popcorn popcorn! }
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You want a horse, and you want to feed it oats. The Imperial is great for this. 1 Gold and you can have that on day 1. And, if you give it about 25 apples (speed) and the rest oats it will be fast enough to be worth riding. I gave mine 20 oats and the rest for speed and it's fast enough for every where but Cyrodill.

But, you may want to get one of the faster horses and upgrade them in the late game. especially if your going to PvP.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• d_boy28b16_ESO
    d_boy28b16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Awesome, thanks for the help everyone. I think I'll just go with the standard version. If I buy it on Steam will it use my account from the beta? Or will I make a new account through Steam?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One other thing about the Imperial that you will want to think about, you can play any race in any alliance. With the standard version, you get a choice of 3 races to play per alliance, with 3 alliances to choose from. The Imperial you can go any of the nine in any of the alliances.

You should have the same account from Beta, but if it has been inactive, not sure if they purged them or not. But, the rest of us just migrated accounts back near release. But, Steam is different billing so maybe not. So, not an answer there.
    Edited by Nestor on December 1, 2014 3:14PM

• Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    One other thing about the Imperial that you will want to think about, you can play any race in any alliance. With the standard version, you get a choice of 3 races to play per alliance, with 3 alliances to choose from. The Imperial you can go any of the nine in any of the alliances.

I believe this is not correct.

Imperial edition will allow you to play as an imperial, and as an imperial you may freely choose any of the 3 alliances.

But it does not allow you to play any race in any of the 3 alliances. That was the perk for preordering the game, not for buying the imperial edition.

• Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    One other thing about the Imperial that you will want to think about, you can play any race in any alliance.
    No you don't. You can play Imperials in any alliance, but other races are still locked.
    Sharee wrote: »
    I got my first horse (the more expensive 42K one) in the level 15-25 zone. I have been saving a lot tho (not buying anything, crafting new armor instead of repairing, etc.). 2-3 weeks i'd say.
    Wow, that's early. My first character would be getting the cheap horse around that time, though I spent some money on bag and bank upgrades, so it slowed me down.

The IE is nice if you're planning to make multiple alts, but if you're a one character kind of player then it doesn't give you all that much. In this situation the most valuable part of IE would be creating an Imperial crafter so you don't have to buy the motif (it's still quite expensive, at least in EU).

Anyhow, you can upgrade to Imperial in the future if you want, so I think starting with standard is a good idea.
  • d_boy28b16_ESO
    d_boy28b16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Rosveen wrote: »
    Anyhow, you can upgrade to Imperial in the future if you want, so I think starting with standard is a good idea.

Ya, that's true, but it's cheap right now so I was considering it, but it may not be worth it.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »
    Imperial edition will allow you to play as an imperial, and as an imperial you may freely choose any of the 3 alliances.

But it does not allow you to play any race in any of the 3 alliances. That was the perk for preordering the game, not for buying the imperial edition.

Your right it was the Explorer Pack that allows that. I play a Breton in the AD,and I have an Imperial in the DC. EP character is an Altmer.
    Edited by Nestor on December 1, 2014 3:15PM