Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

is Bomb Group the new Politically Correct term for Zerg?

Lukeh Shadyvale
Lukeh Shadyvale
✭✭✭
I've never liked running around in groups of more than say 15ish people with the hope of clashing with say another 15ish size group making a nice battle.

More recently I've seen the word zerg get used less and less but I still see dense groups running around in a train.

I LOVE that ZoS seems to think that FC has broken up the old large group ganging together when it hasn't at all. It just causes the long train have to travel a lot further.
By all means I'm contempt with the FC's being removed it causes a lot of battles out in the middle of no where which is fun (excluding Bleakers Milegate & Alessia Bridge).

My main question is I see guilds recruiting bomb groups, I see people labeling themselves as a bomb group and I read people bombing other bomb groups and when I see them in game it is what I've experience as a zerg, charging round pounding AoEs an a lot of PFX. I've seen less sparkling at a pride parade lol.

I read a few names in zone chat and they say they're going to a keep, reports of enemy names who are known for their train driving heading to a keep and my instinct is okay stay away.

When I see a group of 20+ vs a group of 20+ I will in my head say oh okay Zerg V Zerg, yet everyone seems adamant on telling me that it's a bomb group or a bomb squad.

Is there a difference? Or have they just become accepted now they've been given a less derogatory label?

And what about Raids? As that's also a term used with less Stigma around it that BS and Trains.

Edited by Lukeh Shadyvale on November 28, 2014 9:09PM
Lukeh Shadyvale | V14 Bosmer Templar | Ebonheart Pact | EU Nowhere
Cyrodiil is only good for fishing.
  • AbraXuSeXile
    AbraXuSeXile
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My labels for these would be;

Zerg - Pug group of 24+ people
    Train - Organised group of 24 people
    Bomb group - 6-12 man train divers.

But i guess it's all relative, It's unrealistic to call an organised guild group a zerg.

A lot of work and organisation goes into 'impulse spamming' raids even though by general opinion of people who have no idea think they are just mindless skilless zergers.
    AbraXuS
    Grand Overlord Rank 50 [First EU]
    Clan Leader of eXile
    Gaming Community - Est. 1999
    Crashing an EP Wedding | DK Emp | 1vX | Between Enemy Lines | Hate Video | 5 v Many

• Sublime
    Sublime
    ✭✭✭✭
    Here is how I see the term:

Zerg: Unorganized, large ~15+ group of Players
    Bomb Squad: A Group 10-24 of organized players staying together as a ball in order to benefit from AOE buffs/heals
    Train: A bad BS that does not manage to stay as a ball and becomes a train (~snake)
  • Nijjion
    Nijjion
    ✭✭✭✭
    A small history lesson from my experience.

In the early years of DAoC there was not much organisation just pure zerg vs zerg. Groups of people normally around 8 (as that was group cap) organised themselves and specced for awesome potential to wipe zergs. Thus creating the bomb group which was the earliest I've know the term used.

Melee train groups arouse as well during DAoC time to counter these bomb groups as they were normally a counter to these sort of groups. This created the time of quite competitive Guild vs guild in a RvR environment.

The group vs group community and experience from DAoC is pretty unique. Something that died pretty much with it that no other game really has copied, Warhammer online, GW, ESO have come the closest but community just doesn't create it.

I'm guessing the community is different these days in gaming than back then which is a shame.

----

Though just to say words evolve over time, same things mean different things in different games. Though the term 'bomb group' 95% of the time has always been described as a smaller group organised to battle a zerg. Problem is these are pretty much destroyed with AoE caps in place.
    Edited by Nijjion on November 27, 2014 1:03PM
    NijjijjioN - DK - AR27
    NijjioN - NB -
    Daggerfall Covenant
    The Nice Guys Guild
    EverQuest -> Dark Age of Camelot -> Ragnarok Online -> Cabal Online -> Guild Wars 1 -> Warhammer Online -> Vindictus -> SWTOR -> Tera -> Guild Wars 2 -> Elder Scrolls Online ->

Eagerly awaiting Camelot Unchained.
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sublime wrote: »

Bomb Squad: A Group 10-24 of organized players staying together as a ball in order to benefit from AOE buffs/heals
    Train: A bad BS that does not manage to stay as a ball and becomes a train (~snake)

I agree with this more, though somehow train has ended up not being a bad word, because trains are fecking awesome.

But yeah, I call Bomb Squad anything that is tightly compact and packs a lot of punch, like a bomb. And that can be any size in terms of numbers.

I usually call small coordinated groups that don't stack but wipe bigger numbers: Zergbusters or zergbusting squad.
    EU | PC | AD
  • Messy1
    Messy1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I support forward camps being removed, it seems to have made things more tactical and it has broken up the zergfest to a degree. As it stands now if you have a small group you want to avoid detection as much as possible whereas earlier with the FCs you might chance attacking another group and setup a kind of staging area.

Small groups that specialize in breaking up large groups are worthy of some title even if it is just a few people who spam AoEs. It's a valid tactic in the game. Obviously if you are a small group trying to contain other bomb groups you are not necessarily a bomb group unless you have the ability to spam AoE effects as well then you really are s bomb group taking out a bomb group.
  • Lukeh Shadyvale
    Lukeh Shadyvale
    ✭✭✭
    So if I add Raids to this list because that's also a term used a lot with even less stigma than Train & BS.
    Lukeh Shadyvale | V14 Bosmer Templar | Ebonheart Pact | EU Nowhere
    Cyrodiil is only good for fishing.
  • Nijjion
    Nijjion
    ✭✭✭✭
    Raids come from WoWs to my knowledge from the PvE. Normally the big groups like 20+.

Never heard the term raids used for anything in PvP, term is pretty exclusive for big PvE group experiences... so trials in ESO could be named needing raid groups.
    NijjijjioN - DK - AR27
    NijjioN - NB -
    Daggerfall Covenant
    The Nice Guys Guild
    EverQuest -> Dark Age of Camelot -> Ragnarok Online -> Cabal Online -> Guild Wars 1 -> Warhammer Online -> Vindictus -> SWTOR -> Tera -> Guild Wars 2 -> Elder Scrolls Online ->

Eagerly awaiting Camelot Unchained.
  • AhPook_Is_Here
    AhPook_Is_Here
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you should embrace your own nomenclature. Call them tulip groups if that's what you prefer and insist on calling them that. Correct anyone who calls them something else. This is how you become cool.

As an example on EP; the word for being a bad player is sometimes "Potato" and various things you make from potatoes. This evolved because people were referring to individual bad behavior as "Pick Up Groups" or PUGs. If you were a bad player, or doing something somebody who thinks they are important didn't want you to do with your game, then once you were a PUG. No longer now; today you are a Potato. However some insist on referring to bad players as other vegetables, such as turnips, Brussle sprouts and cabbages. Though one word is as meaningless as the next, each brings it's own nomenclature to the game, which enriches our culture as a whole. Words are only as meaningful as the impressions they give you.
    “Whatever.”
    -Unknown American
  • Roechacca
    Roechacca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I can't keep up with all these terms .
  • Draxys
    Draxys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In ESO, people that die to an organized group of 8+ call them a zerg because they are unhappy about dying to a certain style of group play, even though zerg refers to a large mass of players that have no direction or organization.

rip decibel
  • Lava_Croft
    Lava_Croft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was under the impression that in ESO, everytime you die and see more than two enemies of the same faction on your screen, you got zerged.
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of the "Bomb Groups" in this game are running 16+ people... They're basically glorified zergs at that point...

Realistically you only need about 8 people to blow up a stacked zerg in this game, The people running 16 are just zerging and pretending they're not.
  • Draxys
    Draxys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Most of the "Bomb Groups" in this game are running 16+ people... They're basically glorified zergs at that point...

Realistically you only need about 8 people to blow up a stacked zerg in this game, The people running 16 are just zerging and pretending they're not.

Except they're organized and working together, which is the opposite of a zerg

rip decibel
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Draxys wrote: »

Which is why "zerg" used in MMORPGs never made a lot of sense to me .

In Starcraft, a zerg rush is best executed by sending a large group of units to attack in a coordinated fashion. Overwhelming numbers are used to sequentially burst down individual targets.
    It also often involved continually reinforcing the rush swarm with new units to replace dead units whenever new ones could be made; perhaps this is part of why the term has fallen out of favour here...without forward camps it is hard to maintain a zerg-style rush of throwing bodies at a target until it falls.
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
  • AhPook_Is_Here
    AhPook_Is_Here
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I played Starcraft my zerglings were always organized.
    “Whatever.”
    -Unknown American
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Draxys wrote: »

Only Zerg in MMO terms has nothing to do with what you just said.

It simpy implies numbers.

If you were running 2 8 man groups in DAOCs killing other 8 mans, even if you were "better" you were still considered zerging.

• Juraigr
    Juraigr
    ✭✭✭✭

Your definition of bomb group is wrong on so many levels
    EU Worst DK , Best DK Singapore and NA also known as 'Special Snowflake'

Jurra - V14 Dragonknight Rank 38 August Palatine
    Jurra Hex - V14 Sorcerer Rank 25 Colonel [SEMI-RETIRED until Zos fix this BS sorc nonsense]

LA DK Still OP :P

One of the Three Light Armor DK's

#200StandardOfMightFFS
    #RevertAshCloud
    #RevertNewAnimations
    #RevertUltiGain

#FixMoltenWhip

Grinding my way to August Palatine finally made it, still holding a torch for eso so now imma filthy casual
  • Sublime
    Sublime
    ✭✭✭✭
    Juraigr wrote: »

Your definition of bomb group is wrong on so many levels

Some elaboration would be nice.
  • SRIBES
    SRIBES
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never use the term bomb squad always used zerg. Does this mean i'm not a cool kid? Q_Q
    Edited by SRIBES on November 27, 2014 9:58PM
  • IxSTALKERxI
    IxSTALKERxI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Zergs and bomb groups are completely different things. Bomb groups is a term from DAoC. A good example of a bomb group would be Cloneinkks group back in Wabbajack 1.0.

An example of a zerg would be Brandon's group from DC. :P

DiE is probably the best example of a bomb group at the moment. They'll stealth and wait for a large group of people to all stack up on a flag of a resource then charge in and dump ulti's on them.
    NA | PC | Aldmeri Dominion
    Laser Eyes AR 26 Arcanist | Stalker V AR 41 Warden | I Stalker I AR 42 NB | Stalkersaurus AR 31 Templar | Stalker Ill AR 31 Sorc | Nigel the Great of Blackwater
    Former Emperor x11 campaign cycles
    Venatus Officer | RIP RÁGE | YouTube Channel
  • Zintair
    Zintair
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bomb Groups are more about the composition of classes and method of killing. Considering this game is 2 year old PvP there really aren't too many MA trains etc it's all just bomb groups.

In real PvP like DAOC there were MA Trains, Over extension groups, Bomb Groups, Tank groups etc.

Instant cast abilities are fail in PvP.
    Vokundein
    Zintair aka Primetime - VR14 - Guild Leader and PvP Dept Leader

www.Legend-Gaming.net
  • xMovingTarget
    xMovingTarget
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like the term "Rofl Stompers"
  • Rylana
    Rylana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitions by Rylana

1 person = Either ganker or cannon fodder
    2-5 people = Gank squad or cannon fodder (or possibly a mini bomb group if exceptionally skilled)
    6-12 people organized = Bomb group
    12+ people organized = Waste, split into multiple bomb groups.
    6 - 24 people unorganized = AP to farm
    24+ people = zerg (which may contain elements of the previous)
    Edited by Rylana on November 28, 2014 6:33AM
    @rylanadionysis == Closed Beta Tester October 2013 == Retired October 2016 == Uninstalled @ One Tamriel Release == Inactive Indefinitely
    Ebonheart Pact: Lyzara Dionysis - Sorc - AR 37 (Former Empress of Blackwater Blade and Haderus) == Shondra Dionysis - Temp - AR 23 == Arrianaya Dionysis - DK - AR 17
    Aldmeri Dominion: Rylana Dionysis - DK - AR 25 == Kailiana - NB - AR 21 == Minerva Dionysis - Temp - AR 21 == Victoria Dionysis - Sorc - AR 13
    Daggerfall Covenant: Dannika Dionysis - DK - AR 21 == The Catman Rises - Temp - AR 15 (Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade)
    Forum LOL Champion (retired) == Black Belt in Ballista-Fu == The Last Vice Member == Praise Cheesus == Electro-Goblin
  • Columba
    Columba
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's the pc term for impulse monkey spammers
  • Lava_Croft
    Lava_Croft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Columba wrote: »
    I think it's the pc term for impulse Snipe monkey spammers

Fixed it for you.
  • c0rp
    c0rp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh look! This thread again!
    Force weapon swap to have priority over EVERYTHING. Close enough.
    Make stamina builds even with magicka builds.
    Disable abilities while holding block.
    Give us a REASON to do dungeons more than once.
    Remove PVP AoE CAP. It is ruining Cyrodiil.
    Fix/Remove Forward Camps. They are ruining Cyrodiil.
    Impenetrability needs to REDUCE CRIT DAMAGE. Not negate entire builds.
    Werewolf is not equal to Vamps/Bats.
  • Columba
    Columba
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lava_Croft wrote: »

Fixed it for you.

Yes, because snipe certainly lags out the game. Lethal arrow has a debuff bug. Other than that, it's a l2p issue. hey have fun with the spamming, just do it somewhere that doesn't lag out pvp, lol.

Edited by Columba on November 28, 2014 5:58PM
  • Zintair
    Zintair
    ✭✭✭✭

Fixed it for you.

Yes, because snipe certainly lags out the game. Lethal arrow has a debuff bug. Other than that, it's a l2p issue. So keep chimping it up with mindless impulse spamming.

Because Lethal Arrow is the complete opposite of mindless right?

5-10 mostly instant cast abilities the whole PvP system is "chimped" and "mindless"
    Vokundein
    Zintair aka Primetime - VR14 - Guild Leader and PvP Dept Leader

www.Legend-Gaming.net
  • AbraXuSeXile
    AbraXuSeXile
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Fixed it for you.

Yes, because snipe certainly lags out the game. Lethal arrow has a debuff bug. Other than that, it's a l2p issue. So keep chimping it up with mindless impulse spamming.

Your seriously the most clueless 10IQ noob on this game.
    AbraXuS
    Grand Overlord Rank 50 [First EU]
    Clan Leader of eXile
    Gaming Community - Est. 1999
    Crashing an EP Wedding | DK Emp | 1vX | Between Enemy Lines | Hate Video | 5 v Many

• Columba
    Columba
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If all you do is spam lethal arrow, ok, lol. There are much better rotatations than simply spamming snipe. Hey, have fun with the pulse/healing springs spamming, since that's considered to be skillful. It wouldn't really matter except that it lags out the server. Lethal arrow doesn't.
    Edited by Columba on November 28, 2014 5:57PM