Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Heavy armor completly useless in PvP.

• Agrippa_Invisus
    Agrippa_Invisus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lets see.... its gives:
    One other combination that works well with Heavy Armor is the Arena set.

With 5 pieces of heavy you are looking at 60% off CC breaks, which makes the phenomenally cheap. Add in the fact that a HA wearer is likely to have a very high stamina pool and your CC breaks are going to consume less than 200 stamina per break.

Someone already made a competent thread about medium armor being superior to heavy arena set armor through breakouts and sustainability. Heavy armor lacks what would make it op....stamina. 1% stamina recovery every 3-5 seconds isnt going to do sht.

Oh, I agree. Sustain is a severe issue with HA, which is almost counter intuitive. Shouldn't HA be the set that keeps you on your feet the longest at the cost of offensive abilities?

I only mention that as one of the few methods where there is, in fact, a synergy that works. Maybe it's not the best synergy in the game, but it is a working synergy.
    Agrippa Invisus / Indominus / Inprimis / Inviolatus
    DragonKnight / Templar / Warden / Sorcerer - Vagabond
    Once a General, now a Citizen
    Former Emperor of Bloodthorn and Vivec
    For Sweetrolls! FOR FIMIAN!
  • Thechemicals
    Thechemicals
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    During the very angry complaint history of Heavy armor a few months ago, i offered them a golden idea that they never used. Instead they decided that it was best if they turned the heavy armor skill line into some kind of poser mage suit. The patch fix made it to where the set would give magicka of all things.... then they coupled that terrible idea with giving you mediocre returns of 1% every 5 seconds. At 4 thousand health youre getting back like 40 magic/stam every 4 seconds.

Vr14 Templar since release- dual resto
    Vr14 Dk bow/2h

Brayan Blackthunder
    Goddick
    Daggerfall Covenant

• Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    suycyco wrote: »
    Sharee wrote: »
    suycyco wrote: »
    The 1% absorb (in stamina/magicka) while blocking was put in game finally or not? If yes maybe they should maybe try 2% or even better let it like that but drain 1% if blocking while wearing light or medium armor.
    Maybe this should solve the problem of perma blocking light armor caster wich are a pain in Cyro for me.

Its not while blocking, just simply being hit. If you are hit, you gain 0.15% of your max HP as stamina and magicka per piece of heavy armor worn(comes out as 1.05% in full heavy), with a 2 second internal cooldown.

Ok thanks for the enlightment, then maybe shorten the internal cooldown should be an idea because 15 hp per second and something like 10 magicka an stamina isn't really a change that could fill the gap between heavy and light armor.

Just to make it clear, you are not getting any health out of this. The max health value is just used to determine how much stamina and magicka you will get per hit.

The values for full heavy tank usually are around 35-40 magicka and stamina gained every 2 seconds, so basically (as long as you are getting hit) the same as having +35-40 magicka/stamina regen that is not subject to soft caps, which is not too shabby.
  • Bramir
    Bramir
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is not impossible to be a main healer in PvP with heavy armor, it just takes more pots. It is totally worth it just for the cool factor...I still picture full plate wearing, mace-wielding clerics when I think of healers...heavy armor + resto staff is the closest thing I've seen in awhile.;)
  • david.haypreub18_ESO
    david.haypreub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too would like to say that I hope Heavy Armor gets fixed. It has been a long time since they introduced their 'fix', which many of us pointed out at the time was nowhere near enough to make heavy as good a light or medium. They've done nothing since. I really hope ZOS get their act together on this one.
    Templars are 'just slower... by design'
    Yes, Gina actually said that (at least regarding Rushed Ceremony) right here:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/161959/templar-skills-bugged-made-useless-ignored/p24
    VR 16 Templar (retired until Templars get fixed)
    VR 16 Sorcerer
    38 Nightblade
    24 DK
  • Jaerlach
    Jaerlach
    ✭✭✭

With 5 pieces of heavy you are looking at 60% off CC breaks, which makes the phenomenally cheap. Add in the fact that a HA wearer is likely to have a very high stamina pool and your CC breaks are going to consume less than 200 stamina per break.

I still want to talk to you about that build! :)
    Jaerlach Kesepton (DK)
    The 7th Vanguard
    DC - NA first SO speed run & first Hardmode Speedrun
    NA Record Vet DSA: 11519
  • Agrippa_Invisus
    Agrippa_Invisus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Jaerlach wrote: »

Sorry! Been busy. I'll send you a forum message.
  • Jaerlach
    Jaerlach
    ✭✭✭

Sorry! Been busy. I'll send you a forum message.

No rush I am still V11 :)
    Jaerlach Kesepton (DK)
    The 7th Vanguard
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I do agree that heavy armor needs some attention but I am not sure you can truly say it's useless in PvP. I guess it depends on how you use it. My DK wears heavy armor and with the sets I use (5 Orgnum's Scales, 4 Death Wind with Imp. mostly magicka enchanted gear) plus food buff I can last a long time in any sort of battle since I have close to 4,000 health. I pretty much only use One hand and shield in PvP (with disease enchants on my swords, stam. on shield) as well which helps. I was almost able to tank Nikel outpost once lol... not by design... I was trolling/suiciding and took one flag, pretty funny at the time.

Wouldn't hurt for it to get some love though so some people jump off the light armor train.
  • Vanzen
    Vanzen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a DK, I always tought the choice was beetween light and heavy. Then discovered that for pvp, medium was awesome. 5 twin sisters + 5 warlock, 2 dominion sword +12 stam reg on one bar (flying blade). 1h/Shield Seducer +12 magicka reg on the other bar. something real equilibrate that permits you to adapt to any situation.
  • Orchish
    Orchish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OtarTheMad wrote: »
    I do agree that heavy armor needs some attention but I am not sure you can truly say it's useless in PvP. I guess it depends on how you use it. My DK wears heavy armor and with the sets I use (5 Orgnum's Scales, 4 Death Wind with Imp. mostly magicka enchanted gear) plus food buff I can last a long time in any sort of battle since I have close to 4,000 health. I pretty much only use One hand and shield in PvP (with disease enchants on my swords, stam. on shield) as well which helps. I was almost able to tank Nikel outpost once lol... not by design... I was trolling/suiciding and took one flag, pretty funny at the time.

Wouldn't hurt for it to get some love though so some people jump off the light armor train.

At the time the OP started this thread heavy armour was even more useless than it currently is now. I honestly think i am the only person to run around in heavy armour on my home campaign as all i see is mages in light armour, tanks in light armour, and archers in medium armour.

Useless is a strong word, but either way it's time heavy armour got some attention from the devs.
  • Domander
    Domander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heavy armor is great for what heavy armor is for, tanking. (pvp included)
    Edited by Domander on November 26, 2014 10:48PM
  • Roechacca
    Roechacca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I just can't bring myself to take it off . It just looks so cool !
  • IxSTALKERxI
    IxSTALKERxI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For the most part, light armor is superior however a sap build works with heavy armor. I run 5 heavy / 2 light. I have a more difficulty sustaining my magicka but i can permanently hold block in the middle of a zerg.

When I was emp I had no magicka problems though. My stamina never fell below 90%. Was pretty epic. I had so much stamina sustain I could dodge roll all over the place and still have enough stamina to block the countless incoming attacks.

Also, if you have a good sorc run with you, a well placed negate can fill your magicka bar back to 100%. :)
    Edited by IxSTALKERxI on November 27, 2014 12:01AM
    NA | PC | Aldmeri Dominion
    Laser Eyes AR 26 Arcanist | Stalker V AR 41 Warden | I Stalker I AR 42 NB | Stalkersaurus AR 31 Templar | Stalker Ill AR 31 Sorc | Nigel the Great of Blackwater
    Former Emperor x11 campaign cycles
    Venatus Officer | RIP RÁGE | YouTube Channel
  • Agrippa_Invisus
    Agrippa_Invisus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    For the most part, light armor is superior however a sap build works with heavy armor. I run 5 heavy / 2 light. I have a more difficulty sustaining my magicka but i can permanently hold block in the middle of a zerg.

When I was emp I had no magicka problems though. My health magicka and stamina never fell below 90%. Was pretty epic. I had so much stamina sustain I could dodge roll all over the place and still have enough stamina to block the countless incoming attacks.

Well, yeah, emp's overpowered.

I imagine Siphoning Attacks toggle really helps keep the build going, especially when sap spamming the zerg.
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Problem with Heavy Armor is not just your class skills cost a boatload of resources, but now your weapon skills do as well.

I'd rather just run Medium and be able to dodge a lot. The pitiful return ya get from that one skill simply isn't worth it. I think with 3200 health I got something like 27 back every 2 seconds while being hit with heavy..That's basically an extra 13ish recovery to stamina and magicka..That's bloody nothing.

What i'd like to see is Heavy Armor become the Recovery set, While Medium flat out reduces the cost of Stamina abilities, and Light armor with Magicka...Heavy would do neither, instead it would add like 25 magicka/stamina recovery for each piece of heavy you're wearing.

Then you'd have a high sustain set...
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wear 5 heavy and 2 light on my Templar and I have 4050 health with emp health buff in my home campaign. Blazing shield hits minimum 700 damage, alone.

It does wonders in some situations when I'm in the right place and right moment like most flag defences, breach fights and some choke points. But that's just all. Recovery is awful to do anything good besides of that. But I certainly last veeery long in each fight as long as my magic &stamina pool allow me and have potion ready. And any place to hide behind it for a brief of time also helpful.
    Usually I find myself standing alone against an angry zerg, my friends are dead, my enemies are dead..But I'm not dead, yet. :smile:
    Edited by Soris on November 27, 2014 3:25AM
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • SRIBES
    SRIBES
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AsweetRoll wrote: »
    Heavy armor really does need some love I think heavy armor should be built more for people who want to use magika and stamina but also sustain in health. To call it useless is not true though. Some of my DK buddies can block forever with potion cooldowns, 7/7heavy armor, sword and shield, juggernaut+warlock set. It's not that viable to 1vX or do group play but not useless just needs love.

I am PVPing in Heavy because it is my leveling/pve equipment, and one thing I notice is that combining heavy with Hist Bark is pretty tremendous - the dodge while blocking really helps control stamina (as it makes those blocks use 0 stamina) and I think I am a lot more survivable than people expect me to be, especially as I am only V11.

I fought a 1v4 today after being sniped off a horse, and managed to kill one of them before dying just by dropping my standard and using talons - they stayed in the standard expecting to kill me before they died, but I didn't die until the standard wore and managed one kill and nearly 2 for my trouble. My opponents were all V12-14, though not high PVP ranked.

Heavy is definitely not well positioned, but it can have some strengths - as a pure health build in heavy, snipers are really not an issue - I have been sniped off my horse, survived the 2 second CC, popped my wings and then proceded to kill the archer, as their burst only accounted for about 2/3 of my health in the 2s window - the reflect damage + invasion/talons/whip was enough to finish them rapidly when they started their rotation a 2nd time.

I find myself wanting to run Elude to spike my dodge rating and help control my stamina usage, but I agree that heavy really needs some additional help with resource management.

As an experienced DK I recommend trying cinder storm and elude.
    Edited by SRIBES on November 27, 2014 3:26AM
  • SRIBES
    SRIBES
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Draxys wrote: »
    Heavy armor really does need some love I think heavy armor should be built more for people who want to use magika and stamina but also sustain in health. To call it useless is not true though. Some of my DK buddies can block forever with potion cooldowns, 7/7heavy armor, sword and shield, juggernaut+warlock set. It's not that viable to 1vX or do group play but not useless just needs love.

I am PVPing in Heavy because it is my leveling/pve equipment, and one thing I notice is that combining heavy with Hist Bark is pretty tremendous - the dodge while blocking really helps control stamina (as it makes those blocks use 0 stamina) and I think I am a lot more survivable than people expect me to be, especially as I am only V11.

I fought a 1v4 today after being sniped off a horse, and managed to kill one of them before dying just by dropping my standard and using talons - they stayed in the standard expecting to kill me before they died, but I didn't die until the standard wore and managed one kill and nearly 2 for my trouble. My opponents were all V12-14, though not high PVP ranked.

Heavy is definitely not well positioned, but it can have some strengths - as a pure health build in heavy, snipers are really not an issue - I have been sniped off my horse, survived the 2 second CC, popped my wings and then proceded to kill the archer, as their burst only accounted for about 2/3 of my health in the 2s window - the reflect damage + invasion/talons/whip was enough to finish them rapidly when they started their rotation a 2nd time.

I find myself wanting to run Elude to spike my dodge rating and help control my stamina usage, but I agree that heavy really needs some additional help with resource management.

Don't get your hopes up for Hist Bark + Elude, I tried that for DsA and they don't appear to stack. I could be wrong, but I was dodging way less than I should have been.
    Miss chance doesn't work on bosses as far as i'm aware or you're just bad luck Brian..
  • Jaerlach
    Jaerlach
    ✭✭✭

Don't get your hopes up for Hist Bark + Elude, I tried that for DsA and they don't appear to stack. I could be wrong, but I was dodging way less than I should have been.
    Miss chance doesn't work on bosses as far as i'm aware or you're just bad luck Brian..

I definitely get my hist bark dodge procs in Veteran Dungeons. In fact, with the bugs with scaling some instances to VR14 ignoring block, its the main way people are tanking V14 Banished Cells: you dodge tank Irildur and Rilis. Its possible it does not work in Trial Instances, as I've not reached those yet.

Will definitely give cinder storm a whirl.

edited to make sense
    Edited by Jaerlach on November 27, 2014 4:51AM
    Jaerlach Kesepton (DK)
    The 7th Vanguard
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    the get back 0.15% of magic and stamina for a hit every 4 seconds is severly underwhelming. i appreciate the effort, but im going to be honest: it sucks.

the only HA passive that is worth a crap right now is the block mitigation... but you dont need that to tank. just get the right enchants and the shield passives and people in full light armor can tank just as well as a person in full heavy armor(maybe even better)

the HA active ability is awesome.... but you dont even need to be wearing a piece of heavy armor to use it.. so people in full light and medium armor sets, can use the HA skill! further making HA even more useless.

why wont ZOS just give some better passives for HA?? how about a damage reduction passive that tons of players have suggested? and what someone above my post suggested: let HA have reduced costs for both magica and stamina abilties; but half the value that LA and MA gives. i myself would be more than happy with a passive like that, and im sure many others would too.

and ZOS, PLEASE make armor abilties require at least 5 pieces of that armor or more to use. would it force some people to stop using their LA crushing shock spam builds? yes. but it would add a bit more balance to the game. And it only makes sense. its an armor ability, you should have to actually be wearing that armor to use the ability. same goes for all of the armor abilties.

Edited by Cody on November 27, 2014 6:42AM
  • Domander
    Domander
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The dodge doesn't add together, they work individually, so yeah it's not as good as you would think. I found the stamina cost outweighed the stamina saved from extra dodge.
    Edited by Domander on November 27, 2014 6:54AM
  • Jaerlach
    Jaerlach
    ✭✭✭
    Cody wrote: »
    the get back 0.15% of magic and stamina for a hit every 4 seconds is severly underwhelming. i appreciate the effort, but im going to be honest: it sucks.

the only HA passive that is worth a crap right now is the block mitigation... but you dont need that to tank. just get the right enchants and the shield passives and people in full light armor can tank just as well as a person in full heavy armor(maybe even better)

the HA active ability is awesome.... but you dont even need to be wearing a piece of heavy armor to use it.. so people in full light and medium armor sets, can use the HA skill! further making HA even more useless.

why wont ZOS just give some better passives for HA?? how about a damage reduction passive that tons of players have suggested? and what someone above my post suggested: let HA have reduced costs for both magica and stamina abilties; but half the value that LA and MA gives. i myself would be more than happy with a passive like that, and im sure many others would too.

and ZOS, PLEASE make armor abilties require at least 5 pieces of that armor or more to use. would it force some people to stop using their LA crushing shock spam builds? yes. but it would add a bit more balance to the game. And it only makes sense. its an armor ability, you should have to actually be wearing that armor to use the ability. same goes for all of the armor abilties.

Juggernaut is the best HA passive, actually, reducing break free costs is a big deal.
    Jaerlach Kesepton (DK)
    The 7th Vanguard
  • Draxys
    Draxys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Those are both dodge chance, not miss chance. Miss doesn't affect bosses but dodge does.

rip decibel
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It is every 2 seconds, not 4, and the 0.15% is per piece of armor. With 3800 HP this equals 40 point of magicka/stamina regen while being hit. The regen also bypasses normal regen caps.

The passive does not affect block mitigation, but block stamina cost. And 20% is not insignificant.

Other than that, i agree heavy armor currently seems the least attractive option, but that might change once the new system is in place (where you cannot reach top armor mitigation without heavy armor/reinforced/....)

Edited by Sharee on November 27, 2014 11:55AM
  • Sanct16
    Sanct16
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just for tanking HA is amazing. Toyed around with it a bit and found I was close to being immortal in an enemie zerg. Only downside was low damage which was why I abandoned it. Even tho I had only 1.5k Stamina I never ran out of Stamina which is pretty cool.
    - EU - Raid Leader of Banana Zerg Squad
    AD | AR 50 | Sanct Fir'eheal | ex Mana DK @31.10.2015
    EP | AR 50 | Sanctosaurus | Mana NB
    AD | AR 44 | rekt ya | Mana NB
    AD | AR 41 | Sanct Thunderstorm | Mana Sorc
    EP | AR 36 | S'na'ct | Mana NB {NA}
    AD | AR 29 | Captain Full Fist| Stam DK
    AD | AR 29 | Sanct The Dark Phoenix| Stam Sorc
    EP | AR 16 | Horny Sanct | Stam Warden
    EP | AR 16 | Sánct Bánáná Sláyér | Mana DK
    DC | AR 13 | ad worst faction eu | Stam Sorc
    DC | AR 13 | Lagendary Sanct | Mana NB

>320.000.000 AP
  • DezIsDead
    DezIsDead
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you guys haven't seen it try diggin through the general discussions for someone's thread on the champion system break down. When that hits heavy armor will most definitely be viable, however almost every popular build atm will have to be redesigned. On another note no one knows for sure when the champion system will arrive.... So yeah

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/136702/how-the-champion-system-is-a-complete-overhaul-of-game-numbers/p1
    Edited by DezIsDead on November 27, 2014 3:34PM
    Dez Is Dead vr16 AD Sorc
    Rez Dez vr16 DC sorc
    Aimer Cantentius VR16 DC NB AKA Needs Vigor
    Vanreimus Comeback DC DK
    Ihealedurmum VR8 AD temp
    Unonti VR crafting sloot
    Zoschasedawaymyfweinds EP Temp
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Juggernaut is the best HA passive, actually, reducing break free costs is a big deal.

thought that was constitution? no wait, its juggarnaut.

still does not change the fact HA is almost useless ocmpared to La and MA
    Edited by Cody on November 27, 2014 5:30PM
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »

It is every 2 seconds, not 4, and the 0.15% is per piece of armor. With 3800 HP this equals 40 point of magicka/stamina regen while being hit. The regen also bypasses normal regen caps.

The passive does not affect block mitigation, but block stamina cost. And 20% is not insignificant.

Other than that, i agree heavy armor currently seems the least attractive option, but that might change once the new system is in place (where you cannot reach top armor mitigation without heavy armor/reinforced/....)

The normal regen cap is pointless anyway....You get slightly less when ya go over the cap but the hard cap is so bloody high you'll never hit it anyway... Right now i'm running 179 Stamina Regen with Green Dragon blood....In a certain PvE you can get a buff that increases it even more...I've gotten over 300 Stamina recovery from that buff and still didn't actually hit the hard cap.

That small increase you get from stacking health that high will never make up for what ya get with Medium or Light
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'd personally be happy with Heavy Armor if it gave a Raw Damage Resistance attribute (ie: the same type of attribute that Nords get). It needs a DR that's not laughable either, for it to be ever worth wearing in challenge pve or pvp. I long ago gave up on wearing my heavy armor, in large part because I'm a Templar tank and the stuff that makes me tanky is the blue juice. It would be nice to be wearing full imperial plate though, as my character was intended to be an imperial soldier (by theme).

One could argue that hitting high Armor/SR caps means when someone debuffs you with crusher (or similar debuff), that you still sustain your SR or Armor. Fair enough, but you really just get more bang for the buck out of abilities like hardened ward, blazing shield, etc... and those require magicka.

My biggest problem with the Knight's armor is it just doesn't make you feel like the turtle you should be. I'm more of a turtle in medium and light, because I can keep flinging buffs out. This would not be an issue, if you didn't NEED to fling buffs out as often in a suit of heavy armor, and that's the key issue with the would-be Heavy Armor user. At the increment, you really don't get any appreciable improvement to tankiness in heavy apart from keeping your shield out a little longer. That block reduction is great, but its outshined by class abilities (which use magicka) or greater stamina (medium). The takeaway of all this is that I've been playing with Light, or Light/Medium combos lately until they decide to make Heavy Armor what it should be. I'm not alone in this.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>