The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Are all population bars equal?

AhPook_Is_Here
AhPook_Is_Here
✭✭✭✭✭
I have been wondering this for a while. Is the threshold for 2 bars of population equal for each faction or is reserved space in a campaign based on total faction population.

I have noticed some factions seem to have larger populations than others when pop-locked, and also some factions seem to generate more latency when in vicinity. This could be inaccurate perception, but to get as many players as you can into Cyrodiil you'd want to reserve space based on faction population instead of an equal distribution per faction.

Would love to hear an answer from anyone who knows beyond speculation.
“Whatever.”
-Unknown American
  • Rylana
    Rylana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The last time I heard anything was during the wabbajack population restriction when some dev said somewhere each bar represented 50 people, with 200 being the maximum per alliance, 600 max campaign-wide

Whether that is the case or not now (and mind this was like 5-6 months ago) is anyones speculation because they havent said anything regarding it.
    @rylanadionysis == Closed Beta Tester October 2013 == Retired October 2016 == Uninstalled @ One Tamriel Release == Inactive Indefinitely
    Ebonheart Pact: Lyzara Dionysis - Sorc - AR 37 (Former Empress of Blackwater Blade and Haderus) == Shondra Dionysis - Temp - AR 23 == Arrianaya Dionysis - DK - AR 17
    Aldmeri Dominion: Rylana Dionysis - DK - AR 25 == Kailiana - NB - AR 21 == Minerva Dionysis - Temp - AR 21 == Victoria Dionysis - Sorc - AR 13
    Daggerfall Covenant: Dannika Dionysis - DK - AR 21 == The Catman Rises - Temp - AR 15 (Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade)
    Forum LOL Champion (retired) == Black Belt in Ballista-Fu == The Last Vice Member == Praise Cheesus == Electro-Goblin
  • Asgari
    Asgari
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Rylana wrote: »
    The last time I heard anything was during the wabbajack population restriction when some dev said somewhere each bar represented 50 people, with 200 being the maximum per alliance, 600 max campaign-wide

Whether that is the case or not now (and mind this was like 5-6 months ago) is anyones speculation because they havent said anything regarding it.

The server has to hold far more than 600. With all of the travel to friend bs and zerg balls at night i dont see how 600 can be the cap anymore.
    Formerly @Persian_Princess .. Now @Asgari
    Princess Asgari | Sorc
    Asgari | NB
    -Asgari | Stamplar
    Ariana Kishi | DK | True Liberator of Haderus
    Banner Down!
    No Mercy
    Youtube: Asgari
  • Keron
    Keron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would love to hear an answer from anyone who knows beyond speculation.
    Oh yeah, me too. But, sadly, no official statement at all, no matter how many greens you tag.

Good luck with the request, may you have more success than I had.
  • purgation
    purgation
    ✭✭
    I think its really tough to tell, just because there are always people sitting at entry points, out in the wilderness fapping (oops I mean ganking), and even some people running around collecting skyshards.

It can seem like you are outnumbered when the real issue is your faction is just spread out doing various things. Having said that, a firm count would be more convincing than vague bars.
  • DezIsDead
    DezIsDead
    ✭✭✭✭
    Or a percentage, like when pop locked your at 100%, fifty people being 25% etc
    Dez Is Dead vr16 AD Sorc
    Rez Dez vr16 DC sorc
    Aimer Cantentius VR16 DC NB AKA Needs Vigor
    Vanreimus Comeback DC DK
    Ihealedurmum VR8 AD temp
    Unonti VR crafting sloot
    Zoschasedawaymyfweinds EP Temp
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rylana wrote: »

The server has to hold far more than 600. With all of the travel to friend bs and zerg balls at night i dont see how 600 can be the cap anymore.

Well the travel to player thing still hasn't been confirmed or backed up with any evidence, just peoples "hunch" at seeing more than the caps worth.

However stop and think how may players 200 actually is, that's eight full raids. I don't think I have ever seen more than three or four full raids in one location at once (from one faction).
    On EU Thornblade when Wabbajack, HoS and Renegades had an entire TS server packed out we had three full raids, then we were in contact with two other full raids after that just leaving the randoms and maybe unknown PUG raids. So we have accounted for 120 players, there are still 80 slots.

Would be interesting to see Developer comment on this one though.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • FluffiestOne
    FluffiestOne
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fluffy
    Senior Fluffykins, Daggerfall Liberator of Haderus, Dragonknight.
    Fliffers, Daggerfall Liberator of Hopesfire, Templar.
    Prophet Fluffy of Death, Casual of the Dominion, Sorceror.
    Nozdorumu The Timeless, Daggerfall. Dragon. Nightblade.
    All my toon names are subject to change.
    " Ignorance must be bliss because I can't imagine why anyone would live in it. " -Fluffy
  • Kromus
    Kromus
    ✭✭✭
    "We will have two megaservers – one for North American players, and one for European players, although you will be able to create characters on both if you wish. The game's PvP area (Cyrodiil) has a population limit of about 1800 players per campaign, but we'll have many campaigns running simultaneously."

http://www.examiner.com/article/elder-scrolls-online-pvp-player-limit-checks-at-1800-for-cryodiil-campaign

That would mean ~600 players per alliance or ~200 per population bar, presuming campaign is locked when 3rd bar is filled. Last number also represent possible difference in numbers that may occur at battlefield even if factions have same population bar lighten up. For example two factions have 2 population bars on, but one may have ~201 players and other ~399 players at same time. That difference is rather big when zerg/blob playstyle is dominant.

Anyway, these numbers looks a bit depressing seeing we only have 4 campaigns in total. Even if all 4 campaigns are over populated that would mean up to 8k players per megaserver or 16k for both megaservers at the time. We can stretch that number to 20-25k players when take into account people coming online/offline in different periods of day. Reality is rather grim seeing that only one campaign per server is full at prime time, one semi full at best, and other two pretty much empty leaving us with estimated ~5k active pvp players per megaserver. That is a bit low number for AAA mmo title and shed a bit of light why fixes for Cyrodiil comes so slow or not coming at all.

Edited by Kromus on November 26, 2014 9:48AM
  • Keron
    Keron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The source you cite is from March 2014. It has been changed at least once in response to lag problems later on. Sadly, I am not able to trace the official statement saying that, but it was posted by green that the limits have been reduced to 200 per faction. That was some time in April or early May.

What has been changed subsequently has never been made public afaik.
    Edited by Keron on November 26, 2014 9:53AM