Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How are endgame templars?

bosmern_ESO
bosmern_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
Currently raising a templar on the side (just got to level 38) and I was wondering how well templars are in endgame pvp?

Do they still need work? Are they considered weak or OP?
~Thallen~
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    OP!

Lol. Forgive me, I just couldn't resist. Templars are best healers(argueably the only viable healers in certain instances) and great tanks. I've run with some good templar dps, too, but the dps is weaker than that of other classes overall, and imo it should stay that way as long as the healing tree stays. A lot of people say they have magicka management issues as templars, but even though I don't play one, I can tell by the templars I run with that these issues are solveable.
  • ThatHappyCat
    ThatHappyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While the issues are solvable, it effectively restricts magicka-based Templars to Warlock-Seducer or other equivalent set combinations. It's part of the reason why Templar (magicka) DPS is weaker than other classes, as Templars cannot effectively use DPS-oriented set combinations without quickly running into magicka problems.
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A similar issue remains for stamina based ones as well, but yes, great healers, great tanks, decent but not op dps. Should be buffed imho since DKs can be utterly amazing tanks with their Earthen Heart tree.

That is the tank one, right?
    Bobbity Boop, this game might become poop, but I'll still play because I'm just a pile of goop!
  • bosmern_ESO
    bosmern_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A similar issue remains for stamina based ones as well, but yes, great healers, great tanks, decent but not op dps. Should be buffed imho since DKs can be utterly amazing tanks with their Earthen Heart tree.

That is the tank one, right?

Its a mix of Earthen heart and Draconic power. But I was gonna be a templar dps PvE and wanted to be able to hold my own in PvP

~Thallen~
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    im about to make a new templar myself. its going to be an odd one..... will be in light armor so he can keep him/her(have not decided gdender) self healed, but will rely on their weapon, and maybe a bit on one of the class abillities for damage. will be interesting to see how it turns out.
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cody wrote: »
    im about to make a new templar myself. its going to be an odd one..... will be in light armor so he can keep him/her(have not decided gdender) self healed, but will rely on their weapon, and maybe a bit on one of the class abillities for damage. will be interesting to see how it turns out.

It'll be better than you think
    Bobbity Boop, this game might become poop, but I'll still play because I'm just a pile of goop!
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Cody wrote: »

It'll be better than you think

hope so.

iv played my NBs for 7 months now. i want to try something new.
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Plan to heal if you want a consistent spot in groups.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have healed a whopping two times since launch lol
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    IMO playing a Templar is a waste of time if you are interested in End Game content. Templar excel at healing, and there are more Templar healers than there are End Game healer spots atm. 9 times out of 10, I end getting asked to swap to my NB so other healers can join the group.

In other words, there is an surplus of people doing what Templar excel at, so you will have to settle for convincing people to let you fill roles that other people excel at.
    Edited by timidobserver on November 25, 2014 2:22AM
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Islyn
    Islyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well - in truth, not all Templars are created equal.

There are some people who do Okay at heals and dps and tanking, some that are quite good but there are a few who are BOSSTASTIC and I kid you not. I have met 2 Amazing Killer Templar Tanks and 5 Amazing Killer Templar Heals - literally.

I have met a few more very very good Templar tanks and a few more very very good Templar healers.

i have not met many AWESOME Templar DPS.

It can be my circle of contact is small - but since they are all within top 10 on all boards incl. SO - I tend to think my opinion is valid.

Personally:
    I was taught by one of the best in game (NA, AD) and though I would not consider myself in her rank, (yet!) I can state with confidence that I am better than most Templars in healing capacity and if I have to DPS I can hit 800+ reliably. (but my Templar is a lover, not a fighter - so I leave that to the pros!)

I also rarely have mana issues and when I do it is someone spamming spellsym whilst standing in red and they are alive only because I have BoL/lack of mana issues.

Resource management on a Templar *healer* is super easy - but it does take discipline and being able to see the whole raid/fight and know what to expect and where to be etc *before* bad things happen, not afterward.

For that, you need natural skill and/or good training.

That takes time and patience and will not happen overnight.

To summarise:
    The potential for templars at end game is AMAZING. Truly.

However: Potential without discipline and experience is meaningless.

TL:DR: Templars are badass - if they know their class and play their role well.
    Edited by Islyn on November 25, 2014 2:42AM
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As some end game trials prefer a templar healer over any other class, some people power leveled a templar alt from L1 to V14 in four days (when there was the scorp grind etc) so most end game guilds have tons of templar healers.

So if you want to do random end game stuff, you will have more chances if your a DK tank, or a NB\Sorc DPS.

That been said, Templars are fun and easy to play and if your good, lots of people will give you invites for pledge runs etc (just not many trial runs, as those templar spots are normally filled in advance)

End game is more about being in the right guilds who do lots of end game runs then the class you play.
    Edited by Natjur on November 25, 2014 3:00AM
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also helps that the guild is willing to take you. Mine prefers that I DPS, and other people outside my guilds that regular ask me to tag along on my friends list specifically ask me to DPS, because they know I can do a consistent 750+ and carry my weight with both DPS and a few support thingamobbers here and there.

Templars work, people just aren't imaginative enough these days to figure it out on a consistent basis.