The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Looking for a decent AOE build for destruction staff sorc

Kyosji
Kyosji
✭✭✭
Hello all. I've come back after ~6 months to play some more. I am currently VR2, and hitting that grind wall that's driving me nuts. I figured that mob killing would be a faster alternative to questing, so I was hoping to find a decent build for a sorc with destruction staff that can maximize my kill count per hour. Can anyone help out here?
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Well, if you don't like questing, there's always grinding in Craglorn(I think people are grinding Spellscar now?).

Far as sorc aoe goes, pretty sure it's still crit surge+impulse. With Charged Atronach for ulti. And optional Evil Hunter for daedra/undead( I believe spellscar is vastly populated with those 2).

EDIT: Right, forgot Inner Light. That goes by default^^
    Edited by Magdalina on November 24, 2014 4:53PM
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    depends on what you have going.

Crit surge + inner light + impulse is always my go to for the sorc aoe damage.

If you are alone lightning flood is pretty useless, if you have someone to synergize it then its worth it. That being said if you get an undaunted dps set (CoA, EH or CoH) Then lightning flood IS worth it because each tic can proc the undaunted effect.

So you probably want bound armor or hardened ward on, maybe even lightning form if you can handle the hit to your regen.

Shadow Prison is also a good choice if you are doing a lot of mobs.

You can also streak through them all for a stun/damage.

the three skills that you must have is impulse, critical surge and inner light.

the other two you are going to have to play around with and find what fits for you.
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, Impulse-Surge-Inner Light is the AoE of choice. With Evil Hunter added for Daedra rich areas. When doing this I tend to put skills on my bar that I want to build up, not necessarily use for the AoE.

Note, there is a real difference between dungeon mobs and overland mobs in the exp I am getting. I get much more exp overland than in dungeons, even at or near my level. So, keep that in mind, public dungeons are no longer the exp grind they used to be. Still good for Loot though.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Kyosji
    Kyosji
    ✭✭✭
    Take it Elemental wall is nowhere near as useful as it once was?
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, Elemental wall is great for chokepoints and the explosion isn't AOE limited so you build ultimate real fast in groups, but its a situational spell I find.

Play around with it if, talons + elemental wall is great, but as far as a sorc, i dunno.
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • Kyosji
    Kyosji
    ✭✭✭
    bars 1 and 2 is just a swap between the 2. It's just 2 possibilities.
  • Tripwyr
    Tripwyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ditch Weakening Prison, use Shattering Prison instead.
    Alacrity Founder | Forum Emperor
    World First Veteran Dragonstar Arena

Tripwyr Manawrath - AD NA Sorcerer, Former Emperor of Haderus; Former Emperor of Hopesfire, First Cycle
    Tripwyr Flamewrath - AD NA Dragon Knight, Former Emperor of Thornblade, First Cycle
    Imperial Tripwyr - AD NA Templar, Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade
    Ripwyr - DC NA Templar
    Nyrv - EP NA Sorcerer

I am of the firm opinion that subtracting "raging stupidity" from anyone's voice can only cause them to sound more like myself.
  • Kyosji
    Kyosji
    ✭✭✭
    Wish these skill calculators had a more accurate listing of damage.
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crit surge, inner light, impulse. Stack mag recovery and don't forget to block cast :wink: If your getting hit harder than you can mitigate with blocking, lightning form or bone shield helps.
    Edited by Cuyler on November 24, 2014 9:59PM
    Guild: STACK n BURN (gm) PC - NA
    CP 810 18 Maxed Characters:
    "How hard can u guar?" - Rafishul[/spoiler]
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh and you don't need crit surge on both bars. It's a little more work swapping weapons but frees up another slot.
    Guild: STACK n BURN (gm) PC - NA
    CP 810 18 Maxed Characters:
    "How hard can u guar?" - Rafishul[/spoiler]
  • Kyosji
    Kyosji
    ✭✭✭
    I was only making it for 1 bar, I was just doing *example A* and example B*
  • axiomaticb14a_ESO
    Inner light > Crit Surge > Impulse > Elemental Wall (fire staff for 10% more dmg) > Bound armor (for survivability) -or- Shattering Prison (for CC, except it doesnt work against flying enemies so swap to Volcanic Rune for those mobs)
  • SRIBES
    SRIBES
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) Elemental Drain
    2) Crushing shock
    3) Elemental ring
    4) Crystal Fragment/ can replace with other things if needed like shattering prison or dark exchange for kiting/ can also replace with thundering pressence if to squishy.
    5) Inner light
    U: Absorption Field
    1) Critical Surge
    2) Healing Ward
    3) Streak
    4) Mages Wrath
    5) Inner light
    U: Geeater Storm atronach
    Use warlock+seducer set, solo pretty much anything by kiting and sustain through weaving with ele drain/crushing shock and crit surge+ ele ring spam.