Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Favorite styles of gameplay - the zergdiver

Rylana
Rylana
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
So it has become a style I have adopted for every character except my nightblade, since it isnt built for it at all. Ever since I saw WarZ do it repeatedly on his templar on dawnbreaker, it has been a style of play that intrigued me.

Just running solo or with a small team of four at the most, rushing a blob of people and just smashing faces in until you drop. Normally I will net anywhere from 4-15 kills before I go down (though a solid competent group will usually thwart me).

I just find a spot with some LOS/terrain like a tree or small hill, and use that as my defense position and just jump right into a passing blob without abandon or fear. Its kinda a rush, just how crazy people will scatter in all directions (or in the case of teamspeak users, just critical charge you all at the same time in sync)

Another name for it I use is Suicide Bomber. I know I am going to die, but oh my god the amount of people I have taken down with me before is epic. Anyone thats ever run into me on the battlefield will know the look of it, I just start invasioning everyone in series, dropping standards and whatever AOE I am using at the time, then run back through until finally I go down. Templar is just shield stacking self healing boom boom, and the sorc is well... bats shields and impulse spammy.

Anyone else share the same sentiment? My belief with it is that its okay to die so long as at least 3 died with me (and hopefully more).
Edited by Rylana on November 24, 2014 2:18PM
@rylanadionysis == Closed Beta Tester October 2013 == Retired October 2016 == Uninstalled @ One Tamriel Release == Inactive Indefinitely
Ebonheart Pact: Lyzara Dionysis - Sorc - AR 37 (Former Empress of Blackwater Blade and Haderus) == Shondra Dionysis - Temp - AR 23 == Arrianaya Dionysis - DK - AR 17
Aldmeri Dominion: Rylana Dionysis - DK - AR 25 == Kailiana - NB - AR 21 == Minerva Dionysis - Temp - AR 21 == Victoria Dionysis - Sorc - AR 13
Daggerfall Covenant: Dannika Dionysis - DK - AR 21 == The Catman Rises - Temp - AR 15 (Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade)
Forum LOL Champion (retired) == Black Belt in Ballista-Fu == The Last Vice Member == Praise Cheesus == Electro-Goblin
  • Lfehova
    Lfehova
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's weird you mention you don't do it on your nightblade, because one of the easiest most mindless zerg bombing builds is the sap tank.
    Characters: Hovaling/Lfehova/Hova-kun/Hovalicious
    Class: DK/DK/Sorc/Templar
    Guild: No Mercy
    Alliance: Daggerfall

Characters after rename: BROVALING/Baka-kun/Brovalicious (Lfehova is now a retired DK and spends his days crafting)
  • Rylana
    Rylana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lfehova wrote: »
    It's weird you mention you don't do it on your nightblade, because one of the easiest most mindless zerg bombing builds is the sap tank.

I know, ive seen Krim do it, but my nightblade is my ganker, stamina bow build. I could do it, but I would need a respec and regear to pull off (as well as level SnB).

Considered it, but I like having the single target damage dealer out sometimes.

One day i will level up sword n board on that toon and go nuts with it, but for now my DK is the one I have the most fun with doing it.
    @rylanadionysis == Closed Beta Tester October 2013 == Retired October 2016 == Uninstalled @ One Tamriel Release == Inactive Indefinitely
    Ebonheart Pact: Lyzara Dionysis - Sorc - AR 37 (Former Empress of Blackwater Blade and Haderus) == Shondra Dionysis - Temp - AR 23 == Arrianaya Dionysis - DK - AR 17
    Aldmeri Dominion: Rylana Dionysis - DK - AR 25 == Kailiana - NB - AR 21 == Minerva Dionysis - Temp - AR 21 == Victoria Dionysis - Sorc - AR 13
    Daggerfall Covenant: Dannika Dionysis - DK - AR 21 == The Catman Rises - Temp - AR 15 (Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade)
    Forum LOL Champion (retired) == Black Belt in Ballista-Fu == The Last Vice Member == Praise Cheesus == Electro-Goblin
  • Erock25
    Erock25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    How does this strategy work out on your Sorc?
    You earned the 500 LOLs badge.
    You received 500 LOLs. It ain't no fluke, you post great stuff and we're lucky to have you here. +50 points
  • Rylana
    Rylana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Erock25 wrote: »
    How does this strategy work out on your Sorc?

Not fully leveled yet, but at v1 gear on a v6 toon it does well enough (though lately ive been doing a lot of streak trolling and not much bombing with it).

Worked really well last time I did it vs a DC group, but I had so much ultimate generating because they wouldnt spread out I was literally invisible the whole time. They finally got me after about 9 or 10 had died.
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    you ever manage to take out an entire zerg with one of these?
  • Rylana
    Rylana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cody wrote: »
    you ever manage to take out an entire zerg with one of these?

hahaha i wish. but i have taken out a whole group of about 15-20 that were trying to take a resource. I jumped off the tower into them while they were all struggling with the guards.

I remember being in TS and being OH MY GOD YOU GUYS YOU SHOULDA SEEN WHAT I JUST DID, THEY ALL DEAD, OH MY GOD.

9000 kill AP, 10k defense tick.

quite possibly the "awesome" moment of my ESO experience thus far. if i used fraps, that would have been the one time i wished id had it on
    Edited by Rylana on November 24, 2014 3:54PM
  • Roechacca
    Roechacca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I love doing this . When a VR14 goes down and I'm still only VR 9 at the moment , it's the same as biting into a York Peppermint Patty . They just came out with minis btw ...

( yes I'm aware that any VR14 that drops to a healer tank 9 is a complete scrub build and I shouldn't take any enjoyment from this . But if you don't rain on my delusions of grandeur , I won't rain on yours )
  • Ghostbane
    Ghostbane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I used to do this a lot in my vamp days when soloing, mucho fun.
    {★★★★★ · ★★★★★ · ★★ · ★★★★★}
    350m+ AP PC - EU
    AD :: Imported Waffles [37]EP :: Wee ee ee ee ee [16]DC :: Ghostbane's DK [16], Impending Loadscreen [12]PC - NA
    AD :: Ghostbane [50], yer ma [43], Sir Humphrey Winterbottom 2.0 [18], robotic baby legs [18]EP :: Wee Mad Arthur [50], avast ye buttcrackz [49], Sir Horace Foghorn [27], Brother Ballbag [24], Scatman John [16]DC :: W T B Waffles [36], Morale Boost [30], W T F Waffles [17], Ghostbanë [15]RIPAD :: Sir Humphrey Winterbottom 1.0 [20]
    Addons
  • Bipolo
    Bipolo
    ✭✭✭
    /twoClaps

"Sovngarde Awaits"
    Fraps is never running during the "epic stuff", however:

Milkdrinkers will wipe, good groups will be annoyed, once in a while you manage to be at the right place at the right time and glory is yours.

Problem is that if you do this to much, they will expect it :# Its a highly addictive style of gameplay imo.

Note: We call it kamikaze piloting, for some reason it sounds better then suicide bombing/ganking/tanking ;)
    Edited by Bipolo on November 24, 2014 7:16PM
    Skeggǫld, Skálmǫld, Skildir ro Klofnir
    "Nords who prove themselves in battle awaken in the realm after death. Pain and illness vanish within the Hall of Valor.
    Revelry is never-ending, mead flows freely, and the greatest Nords of all time compete in tests of strength and prowess. (...)
    Through all the suffering and adversity in this world, true Nord warriors endure, for Sovngarde awaits."

- The Road to Sovngarde
  • Jahosefat
    Jahosefat
    ✭✭✭✭
    Recently I have enjoyed going behind zergs and shooting bowmen in the back. You can get a lot of kills that way with a crushing shock sorc :)

When I come across big groups when solo on the sorc I'll generally try to keep far from the group but close enough that they can see me and try to pull some of the people out of the group towards me. Keeping distance with streak I can sometimes get a stream of spread out players running towards me. People will sometimes trickle into my range on their horses letting me get that opening CC on each which helps me a lot. This obviously doesn't work with the more organized groups that are good at staying together.

With the tight zerg balls I'll try to follow behind them and save a negate for when they try to push something or run away (or if I find them staging somewhere). I'll also try to help scatter the group with streak/shattering prison as they move. And I always keep an eye out for vulnerable looking bowmen/healers/dps nb to throw some crushing shocks into.

Sometimes dropping negate turns into a kamikaze mission, but it all seems to help out :)
    Edited by Jahosefat on November 24, 2014 8:07PM
    Joeshock- AD NA AB Thorn Chill Sorc New Eden Low Sec Roamer

Fight not with monsters lest ye become one
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I did that with my DK for 3-4 months with some degree of success (relatively speaking always), till it got a bit stale. I was never as good as the best DK tanks anyway tbh. Now I get my kicks out of being a pesky Sorc who sells his life very very dearly. Basically doing the exact opposite, being more cautious and reserved while maximising my damage within that framework.

Identifying and killing the weaker targets, pushing through the lines when the opportunity arises, retreating when the tide turns (instead of dying), picking solo and small fights, pushing kill streaks past 200..... That's what floats my boat these days.
    EU | PC | AD
  • Nijjion
    Nijjion
    ✭✭✭✭

Think that is reserved for the templar shield spam as the most mindless.
    NijjijjioN - DK - AR27
    NijjioN - NB -
    Daggerfall Covenant
    The Nice Guys Guild
    EverQuest -> Dark Age of Camelot -> Ragnarok Online -> Cabal Online -> Guild Wars 1 -> Warhammer Online -> Vindictus -> SWTOR -> Tera -> Guild Wars 2 -> Elder Scrolls Online ->

Eagerly awaiting Camelot Unchained.
  • Lava_Croft
    Lava_Croft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    In a game that has no real death penalty, suiciding into groups of scrubs is one of the most effective ways to play.
  • Soulac
    Soulac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Equip Valkyn Skoria Set, use caltrops, twisting path and vob..

It's raining meteors.
    R.I.P Dawnbreaker / Auriel´s Bow
    Member of the Arena Guild and the overpowered Banana Squad.
    Nathaerizh aka Cat - Nightblade V16 - EU

- Meow -
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lava_Croft wrote: »
    In a game that has no real death penalty, suiciding into groups of scrubs is one of the most effective ways to play.

It's not just effective, it's necessary, because that's what helps the masses move.

You have 2 zergs standing off and skirmishing. Like you do every evening in the corridor between BRK and Alessia. When a DK shield charges into the opposition, drops his banner and starts tanking he creates a window for his zerg to move forward. If that banner is not Negated and the DK dead inside 5", you can bet another 6-7 people will rush forward to back him up. And that's how groups of randoms move.

If that DK, or that Bombplar, or that SiphonTank does not do that suicidal attempt at initiating some melee combat, all we'd do is sit at range and pew-pew each other. It's what would happen if the death penalty is ridiculously increased or changes to block casting render it completely useless.

There are many many games that do pew-pew much much better than ESO. I know I'd rather go back to playing Quake III Arena (showing my age, I know) than play ESO without this form of suicide tanking.
    EU | PC | AD
  • Lfehova
    Lfehova
    ✭✭✭✭

Without camps, there is a riding penalty. So those who want to "suicide into groups of scrubs" will have to think twice. Because if he even leaves one alive, they'll rez each other while he sits at ghost screen unable to get a rez.

Characters after rename: BROVALING/Baka-kun/Brovalicious (Lfehova is now a retired DK and spends his days crafting)
  • Rylana
    Rylana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Without camps, there is a riding penalty. So those who want to "suicide into groups of scrubs" will have to think twice. Because if he even leaves one alive, they'll rez each other while he sits at ghost screen unable to get a rez.

That may be true, but even a single solid built player can slow down what might be crucial reinforcements, or buy time for a keep defense to set up while the suicider takes the breach alone.

Ive done both, it sucks to die, but sometimes that 10 seconds of delay is all thats needed to turn the tide. Id even go a step further and offer up that its becoming more and more of a necessity (especially on defense during a siege before the walls are at 50 and the keep flags, to get enough people inside to actively defend before transit is cut)
  • Weberda
    Weberda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That may be true, but even a single solid built player can slow down what might be crucial reinforcements, or buy time for a keep defense to set up while the suicider takes the breach alone.

Ive done both, it sucks to die, but sometimes that 10 seconds of delay is all thats needed to turn the tide. Id even go a step further and offer up that its becoming more and more of a necessity (especially on defense during a siege before the walls are at 50 and the keep flags, to get enough people inside to actively defend before transit is cut)[/quote]

This is absolutely 100% pure fact. I've done it many times. Even 5 seconds can be game changing.

You have 2 zergs standing off and skirmishing. Like you do every evening in the corridor between BRK and Alessia. When a DK shield charges into the opposition, drops his banner and starts tanking he creates a window for his zerg to move forward. If that banner is not Negated and the DK dead inside 5", you can bet another 6-7 people will rush forward to back him up. And that's how groups of randoms move.

If that DK, or that Bombplar, or that SiphonTank does not do that suicidal attempt at initiating some melee combat, all we'd do is sit at range and pew-pew each other. It's what would happen if the death penalty is ridiculously increased or changes to block casting render it completely useless.

There are many many games that do pew-pew much much better than ESO. I know I'd rather go back to playing Quake III Arena (showing my age, I know) than play ESO without this form of suicide tanking.[/quote]

This is indeed true too. However all too often I look behind me to see the group of stick-wavers going the other direction. Going 1v6 or more is a tough life even for a DK contrary to what many think.

Fernwood, EP Haderus NA
    Lo Behold, AD Thornblade NA (formerly Haderus, inactive)
  • Rooty
    Rooty
    ✭✭✭
    I used to do this at times whenever I wasn't healing the NM "zerg", but the now-lack-of forward camps makes this less favorable. Especially during keep defenses (which is the only time I encounter a "blob"), I like to think I'm more valuable alive doing more tactical things than faceplanting a zerg.

Oh, also, I took an arrow to the knee.
    No Mercy
    Rooty, Rooty-san, Rooty-sama, Rooty-chan, Rooty-senpai
    Reality is for people who don't play video games.
    WHERE IS SHE?!
    #FreeBraidas
  • krim
    krim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    YOLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love it, the adrenaline, the intensity, it's addictive. Every skill you use, every person you focus is far more important because a wrong decisions means your death. Things slow down somehow and the fight becomes a really cool place to be.
    Edited by Armitas on November 25, 2014 4:51PM
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • AbraXuSeXile
    AbraXuSeXile
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Used to love zergdiving, Now i hardly bother as it's a long way back and adding lethal arrow into the equation just makes it frustrating.

A small squad of us just used to find zerg's and take them down pretty easily, Now we don't do it, These zergs just run amock.

Boring.
    AbraXuS
    Grand Overlord Rank 50 [First EU]
    Clan Leader of eXile
    Gaming Community - Est. 1999
    Crashing an EP Wedding | DK Emp | 1vX | Between Enemy Lines | Hate Video | 5 v Many

• Sanct16
    Sanct16
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Doing this on my Dk aswell. Loads of fun although it got hit quite hard by fc removal but still there are situations where you can have and respawn afterwards.

Greatest moment for me was on 1st Thornblade. Had a intense ap race with #2 AD who played 24/7 at this time. Was only about 7k ahead after several days when I wiped like 40 guys at some resource (they were all mounted when I engaged xD). Got around 24k ap for kills and 6k tick as some leechers showed up.
    Another fun moment was when i tested around with heavy armor and facetanked a 30man raid several minutes until some friendly zerg ran over them.
    Good old days... sigh
    - EU - Raid Leader of Banana Zerg Squad
    AD | AR 50 | Sanct Fir'eheal | ex Mana DK @31.10.2015
    EP | AR 50 | Sanctosaurus | Mana NB
    AD | AR 44 | rekt ya | Mana NB
    AD | AR 41 | Sanct Thunderstorm | Mana Sorc
    EP | AR 36 | S'na'ct | Mana NB {NA}
    AD | AR 29 | Captain Full Fist| Stam DK
    AD | AR 29 | Sanct The Dark Phoenix| Stam Sorc
    EP | AR 16 | Horny Sanct | Stam Warden
    EP | AR 16 | Sánct Bánáná Sláyér | Mana DK
    DC | AR 13 | ad worst faction eu | Stam Sorc
    DC | AR 13 | Lagendary Sanct | Mana NB

>320.000.000 AP
  • Lfehova
    Lfehova
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rylana wrote: »

Ive done both, it sucks to die, but sometimes that 10 seconds of delay is all thats needed to turn the tide. Id even go a step further and offer up that its becoming more and more of a necessity (especially on defense during a siege before the walls are at 50 and the keep flags, to get enough people inside to actively defend before transit is cut)

Definitely. When I'm not leading the NM "zerg", I also yolo 1vX to slow reinforcements or clear defenses. I'm not like Rooty :( I have no heals so I might as well go out swinging my staff!

• Mountain_Dewed
    Mountain_Dewed
    ✭✭✭
    My favorite style is to just stand there for the foe that wants it EZ. It's too easy to tell who that is anymore. If you don't understand this then that's probably a good thing.