The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Grind out Veteran ranks or re-roll?

cesmode
cesmode
✭✭✭
Question for some of you...

I am still leveling my templar(very slowly :( ), but as I approach 50, I am not sure what I want to do...I want to check out veteran content and see how my build(s) fare against the tougher stuff in the game. But I want to eventually roll new toons to experience the other classes and playstyles. I will most likely choose a different faction each time.

The question to myself is...do I want to start another character after already having grinded the veteran ranks in that characters faction zones on my templar already? Or should I put my templar down at 50, start a new toon with a new faction so the quests are all fresh and new.

Since there is, so far, no need to rush to max veteran rank(or is there?), Im leaning toward stopping my templar at 50 and picking up a new toon with new faction.
Once I have one of each faction and/or class, pick one or two and focus on them via invested time grinding through veteran ranks.

Decisions decisions...

Opinions? Thoughts? Civil comments? Is there content that Im going to potentially miss out in near-future updates by not having a max-veteran rank character?
  • Wisler89
    Wisler89
    ✭✭✭
    Grinding your character to v14 would have the benefit of counting for the coming Champion System (whenever that is coming) and you can of course play the veteran dungeons and trials and cyrodiil is definitly more fun as v14 than just level 50 (or v1 as it stands now).

I suggest you stay with your templar since you already said that you are leveling slower than others and templars are quite welcome in groups either as tanks or healers.
    cesmode wrote: »
    Is there content that Im going to potentially miss out in near-future updates by not having a max-veteran rank character?

I think yes, judging from the things zenimax wants to add in the future, the chances for most fo these things to be for endgame (meaning v10-v14) is quite high.
    Eclaire Farron, V16 Sorc
    Claire Etro, V16 NB
    Leveling a DK and Temp because I'm bored
    Server: EU - AD, Guild: Lux Dei
  • catpower
    catpower
    ✭✭✭
    I was in the same boat and finally decided to stick with one character since we don't know what all will happen with the champion system and right now lots of content is gated by VR rank.
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are only two modes of play that lock you from doing them solely based on level:

1. DSA Veteran mode
    2. The three Trials (Serpent, Warrior and Mage)

Other than that you are free to tackle anything in the game as a V1.

Is it a wise choice to go into CoA Vet with a vr1 healer? Probably not, but you are not limited or 'gated' by level in doing so.

Now, my advice is to level a character to max to see the potential of the game. You will be missing about 46% of all skyshards available to you and quite a few skillpoints from quests (think 20-30 skill points here) by not doing the 'veteran grind' in Cadwell's silver and gold.

If you like the templar's playstyle stick with it!
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • someuser
    someuser
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am still leveling my templar(very slowly :( ), but as I approach 50, I am not sure what I want to do...I want to check out veteran content and see how my build(s) fare against the tougher stuff in the game. But I want to eventually roll new toons to experience the other classes and playstyles. I will most likely choose a different faction each time.

I was going to do something similar (play to near 50, then re-roll start anew with a different faction). I ended up deciding to just stick with two alliances max with all possible classes in each alliance. In fact, I may just stick with the EP and only experience the other factions via Cadwell's Silver/Gold.

This way I can have 5 EP exclusive trade/pve/pvp guilds rather then splitting them... And since the game doesn't allow you to quest with other factions having your classes all scattered could get frustrating... IE, you get into a guild, get to know everyone, get comfortable, they need a DPS NB for a run but your DPS NB is on the other faction. Just SoL in such a situation.

Of course, play how you want, just sharing some of my thoughts / experiences.

Since there is, so far, no need to rush to max veteran rank(or is there?), Im leaning toward stopping my templar at 50 and picking up a new toon with new faction.

Once I have one of each faction and/or class, pick one or two and focus on them via invested time grinding through veteran ranks.

The only problem I see with that idea is, aside from the concerns mentioned above, how realistic is it to grind to VR14 all the alliances with a toon? No matter what way you slice it, if you want all the skyshards and skill points, you are going to have to do all the zones as many times as you have characters... it just depends on whether you want to spit all your toons up so you can have the instant gratification of seeing the other factions at a lower level VS seeing them via the VR/Cadwell system and then rinsing and repeating atleast 4 times so you have one of each class.

To me the classes / roles are more important, long-term, then seeing the different graphics of the different zones. Personally, I would rather be able to jump into whatever role I want/need to with friends/guildmates then to simply do all the zones low level.

Personally I have been finding VR1 to be fun even though it took me 6 months to get there (over 6 days of game time) :smile:

To make ESO look and feel like a PC MMO check out the following:

PhinixUI addon-powered interface for ESO