Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656543/temporarily-taking-down-the-pts-the-pc-na-live-server

Getting started tanking

boggie
boggie
✭✭✭
So this past week, my first character (a DK) hit VR1. Thus far I have leveled almost exclusively through questing. This has been fun, but I'm starting to realize that I've done myself a bit of a disservice by brushing past all of the group content. Now I'm getting the itch to start running dungeons (esp since the new undaunted pledges came out) but I'm hitting a snag- I can't dps to save my life. Never have been able to in any mmo I've played. It just doesn't mesh with my playstyle. My DK isn't a healer (his resto staff is still rank 1. Don't ask how I managed to make it all the way to vr without getting at least 1 skill up in it. I don't know. lol). I have most of what I need skills-wise to tank (since a lot of it was in my solo builds) but I am missing a couple things like the undaunted ranged taunt.

I want to get into tanking, but frankly, jumping into it at this point in the game is a touch intimidating, particularly when you don't know the content. I know the best solution would be to find a guild to run with while I learn (currently searching), but in the interim, I'm not even sure where to begin. I'm assuming that even though I am at VR, I should stay away from the veteran dungeons for the moment. Since they've implemented the scaling, is there a particular "normal" dungeon that has simpler mechanics and would be a good place to start? I'd rather not scale down the dungeons as it seems this would kinda invalidate some of the benefits of practicing, but at the same time, I don't want to go wasting the time of 3 other people by getting into a dungeon and realizing partway through that I don't have what I need to complete it.

Also, from what looking I've done, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of walkthrough type videos for specific boss fights. I remember back when I was raiding in WoW, there were a couple specific youtubers I would always go to when I was working on a new fight, who would upload videos complete with commentary explaining exactly what mechanics were happening, and what to do in response to them. So far I've been able to find boss fight videos, but nothing with an explanation as to why they are doing specific things at specific times. Just knowing that before going into a fight as a tank was a huge help.

Just to clarify- I'm not looking for builds or gear loadouts. More encounter-specific types of information so I can feel prepared when I set foot in a dungeon and not feel like I am wasting people's time/repair gold.
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    To be honest OP, you shouldn't have to look up every encounter when tanking for the 1st time. People will usually explain it in chat in 2/3 short sentences. The boss fights aren't that overcomplicated (non VR) and when you feel confident enough you van later on try to do the VR mode. But people just have to explain stuff to one another. If they only want someone that knows everything, they need to mention that in their LFM message.
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Well, most non vet dungeons are still pretty easy. The mechanics, if they exist, are simple enough to figure out and often you can outheal/outdps and just ignore them, anyway. Vet dungeons do have rather a lot of walkthroughs iirc, but if you run with people who'd run them before they'll just explain it to you in a couple of sentences, shouldn't be an issue.

If you never tanked before, I would indeed suggest doing non vet dungeons first as they're simpler:) As for specifics...well, you run in, taunt the boss and figure the rest out otw:P CC trash/ads(Dark Talons), don't forget Dragonblood, don't overtaunt the boss and don't forget to block/interrupt. Some bosses have special attacks which don't depend on who has aggro so you can't do anything to control those. Try to stay out of the red. As a tank you might occasionally be able to ignore that, but that's still risky. Oh and you'll want a ranged weapon of some sorts for certain fights. I think that's about it in a nutshell, good luck^_^
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tanking isn't particularly hard in the normal dungeons.

There are only two skills you can use for taunts:
    - Puncture (1H and shield)
    - Inner Fire (Inner Fire)

Basic tips:
    - Don't stand in the red AoE.
    - Keep your taunt up at all times on bosses. It's a bit buggy at the moment and you may lose aggro for no reason but stay focused on the boss.
    - Use additional skills to buff your resistances.
    - Be at softcap in armor, spell resistance and health.
    - Use potions to keep your stamina up.
    Wololo.
  • korwinthale
    korwinthale
    ✭✭✭
    There is no acceptable tanking in this game. there is NO aggro table... it is Truly random assignment of targets with occasional *attack the squishy* scripts ... good luck man
    "Still, we have to keep trying and hoping. That's what's important--the trying and the hoping. Maybe that's most important of all."
  • jkirchner71ub17_ESO2
    Yes gear and builds does play into this but I know the OP doesn't want to hear about builds / gear but personally for that stuff it is all about what works for you. Each boss fight in VR dungeons is somewhat unique and you DEFINITELY need to recognize the importance of skills outside those in your class as some might prove crucial for a particular boss fight or with your group's composition. Also be prepared to shift gears to ranged DPS as there are some boss fights where melee is nearly impossible for the tank (i.e. Darkshade Caverns final boss fight).
    Edited by jkirchner71ub17_ESO2 on November 13, 2014 2:24PM
    MAIN
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Torroch, VR14 Orc DK Rank 22, Officer in Maelstrom
    Once again looking for an organized PvP guild to join - viva la Venatus

NON-PvP Alts
    Ebonheart Pact
    Torach, VR12 Orc Sorcerer, GM House of the Tamriel Ten
    Torrach, VR8 Orc Templar, House of the Tamriel Ten (older brother of Torach)
  • Draxys
    Draxys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would think about how you can help your group as opposed to just taunting and buffing defenses. My main tanking bar is green dragon blood, defensive stance, inner beast, engulfing flames, unstable flame, standard of might. The reason I have 2 dps skills there is because I just don't need anymore defense as a well geared tank. Even though I'm only doing a couple hundred DPS, that helps the whole team. And my second bar is Destro staff with aoe skills to help burn down adds. Basically, think about how you can help the team with your build through skills and positioning, and not just focusing on defense.

Edit: you should also be prepared to use some unusual methods, especially in the more difficult dungeons like vet city of ash. For one of the bosses, I switched to 5 medium and used retreating maneuver to kite the adds in a circle and stay ahead of them while taunting from range.
    Edited by Draxys on November 14, 2014 1:36AM

rip decibel
  • Tonnopesce
    Tonnopesce
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi!!!
    In my experience i've started to do dungeons in this game as a healer dk it was fun i've healed all the dungeons till vr level and then i got a little bored and re rolled as a tank ( dk healers are not well seen in groups btw) and now as a vr 14 tank i' ve done all the vet dungeons and learned how to do them while plaing as a tank so dont worry extra experience is not bad but a good group is better now with the dungeon scaling non hardcore groups will eventualy give you the lead and go in the dungeon at your level ( in any case the cest drop is istanced at the level of the player who open it not at the dungeon level) bring with you dps equip
    since some bosses is worthless tanking them (yes darkshade final boss dosent need a tank) and bring it on
    Lot of people go hibrid 5light 2 heavy but you can go how you want i use 5heavy 2 light because a warrior has to be a warrior.......
    Use the melee taunt till you have unloked the inner beast and bring MANA potions since stamina you can regenerate fast with the gdb

Edit: and .... Become a werewolf , the damage ultimate regeneration passive is excellent..... O yea if you are a vamp stop here befoure you get burned
    Edited by Tonnopesce on November 16, 2014 8:02PM
    Signature

• alexj4596b14_ESO
    alexj4596b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    boggie wrote: »
    So this past week, my first character (a DK) hit VR1. Thus far I have leveled almost exclusively through questing. This has been fun, but I'm starting to realize that I've done myself a bit of a disservice by brushing past all of the group content. Now I'm getting the itch to start running dungeons (esp since the new undaunted pledges came out) but I'm hitting a snag- I can't dps to save my life. Never have been able to in any mmo I've played. It just doesn't mesh with my playstyle. My DK isn't a healer (his resto staff is still rank 1. Don't ask how I managed to make it all the way to vr without getting at least 1 skill up in it. I don't know. lol). I have most of what I need skills-wise to tank (since a lot of it was in my solo builds) but I am missing a couple things like the undaunted ranged taunt.

I want to get into tanking, but frankly, jumping into it at this point in the game is a touch intimidating, particularly when you don't know the content. I know the best solution would be to find a guild to run with while I learn (currently searching), but in the interim, I'm not even sure where to begin. I'm assuming that even though I am at VR, I should stay away from the veteran dungeons for the moment. Since they've implemented the scaling, is there a particular "normal" dungeon that has simpler mechanics and would be a good place to start? I'd rather not scale down the dungeons as it seems this would kinda invalidate some of the benefits of practicing, but at the same time, I don't want to go wasting the time of 3 other people by getting into a dungeon and realizing partway through that I don't have what I need to complete it.

Also, from what looking I've done, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of walkthrough type videos for specific boss fights. I remember back when I was raiding in WoW, there were a couple specific youtubers I would always go to when I was working on a new fight, who would upload videos complete with commentary explaining exactly what mechanics were happening, and what to do in response to them. So far I've been able to find boss fight videos, but nothing with an explanation as to why they are doing specific things at specific times. Just knowing that before going into a fight as a tank was a huge help.

Just to clarify- I'm not looking for builds or gear loadouts. More encounter-specific types of information so I can feel prepared when I set foot in a dungeon and not feel like I am wasting people's time/repair gold.

Personally im a scorc tank. I use 1 heavy armor pice and the rest is light. other then vet stuff its all prity straight forward. taunt play wack a mole and that's about it. builds for this game are personal.