The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

I find better or buy better weapons/armour then I craft

Salacious
Salacious
✭✭✭
There's this notion that you can craft better then what you find or buy. I find that to be completely false.

I wear a mixture of light and heavy, use one handed and a shield and I find - from quests rewards - better stuff then what I craft. I focus on armour/weapon crafting using clothing, metal working and wood working. I learn all I can, dismantle all I can, and horde all my mats.

yet some how I feel I find better or buy better then what I can craft. oO
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    do you upgrad the gear you craft?
    Edited by Jitterbug on October 19, 2014 7:20PM
  • Salacious
    Salacious
    ✭✭✭
    I upgrade every chance I get, or when I find the materials needed. I was curious if Iw as doing something wrong so I started upgrading the gear instead of crafting new stuff all the time. But today I found a dagger that replaced my blue sword, the dagger is also blue .... I'm like oO. I enchant, upgrade and occasionally craft new gear. But I still seem to find better gear.
  • kewl
    kewl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a few dropped set pieces I covet. But the majority of my looted gear goes to decon or sale.

You can choose traits and set bonuses on crafted items. Crafted gear allows you to optimize a character for different play styles. Example crit build for trials or impenetrable for PvP.

How are random drops better?
    Edited by kewl on October 20, 2014 3:44AM
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    With crafted gear you can have set items that are equal to your level, and provide you some very nice advantages, something not always possible with non-crafted gear. I always craft my gear and I usually do a mixture of Torugs Pact/Seducer and Twilights Embrace to get the set bonuses I like. It's all about getting set bonuses.
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • Islyn
    Islyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Salacious wrote: »
    There's this notion that you can craft better then what you find or buy. I find that to be completely false.

At what level and with what crafting skills unlocked?

I mean yeah at lvl 10. Sure.

Serious gear which is made for what you are playing - nope. I disagree.
  • Tarukmockto
    Tarukmockto
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that dropped gear was as good or better as what I crafted until I had done enough research to benefit from the crafted sets.

Once I could craft specific sets with desired traits and bonuses, there's no way I could find better drops than the crafted sets. I improve weapons and chests to blue, everything else is green. I can tailor the look, traits and enchants exactly for the results I want with crafted sets. This makes them superior to miss-matched drops I might acquire.
    NA - DC - DK - PC
  • lordspyder
    lordspyder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I head back to a crafting station every 2 levels like clock work because the gear I get is almost always worse than what I craft, and I don't usually upgrade most of it while leveling.
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Salacious have you crafted any sets, because the set bonuses generally are better than the traits/enchantments.

Admittedly you need to learn a number of traits to craft them, but they are worth it.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule