The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Damaged Armor - How badly does it affect ability to survive?

Caroloces
Caroloces
✭✭✭✭✭
You die, and then you resurrect, and you know your armor is damaged. The thing I'm wondering is, how critical is it to get the armor repaired? Are there any guidelines to this aspect of the game? I've read on another post that one could ignore damaged armor, and if you're a crafter, you could just create another set. My tendency is to repair every time I encounter a merchant, but over time, you are sinking a lot of gold into those repairs.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, Repair is one of the three gold sinks (Horses and Bag Spaces are the other two). But, there is really nothing else to spend money on in the game, so it does no good to horde it after you have your horse and adequate bag space.

OK, here is what I have noticed, and this is from observation of the game, not watching the flying numbers in Foundry Tactical Combat:

When the armor is damaged below 60%, I have to pay more attention to my health as it goes down faster. But, I am not one of those dodge around type of players, I tend to tank more so than anything else when I play. It's a personal issue really.

I think there is a degradation level at which the Enchantments no longer have effect, or full effect, but I have not noticed this. Then again, I fix my armor more often than not.

The Sturdy Trait does help, even if it is only on a few of the armor pieces. At least it has reduced my repair bills. It also helps psychologically to fix the armor more often, as it is cheaper that way each time. It still adds up over time though.

If I was not using crafted sets, I would just use Looted armor to replace what is breaking in the game as I go along But because of that, it is easier to fix it than it is to travel to the crafting station for the set and make a new one. Plus, I got in the habit a long time ago of improving everything I make to Blue. This allows me to go 4 levels between needing gear sets, two or three can be skipped at VR levels.

When I add in the replacement cost of the mats and glyphs, the time needed to get to the crafting stations to make new crafted pieces, then go dye the armor, repairs don't seem that expensive any more.

Edited by Nestor on September 29, 2014 8:33PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Caroloces wrote: »
    how critical is it to get the armor repaired?
    I have two characters that play pretty much naked, one is a dual sword wielding Naked Nord Dragon Knight only wearing heavy boots and a horned helmet and one of them is a stamina based bow wielding Wood Elf Nightblade wearing nothing more than her prison shackles (dyed pink of course).

So far, there has been no need for armor on either of those two characters ...
    :)
    Edited by SirAndy on September 29, 2014 8:38PM
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't have a specific answer, but I'm glad you asked the question. I'm curious about the answer and hope some numbers guy (or gal ) can give specifics. I can say anecdotally that there does seem to be some correlation between armor damage and enchantment effectiveness. I get a large pool of magic from my armor, and when my armor becomes significantly damaged, it seems to affect my casting ability. I have never checked numbers on this however.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ourorboros wrote: »
    I have never checked numbers on this however.

You should be able to see the difference in the Character Stat Screen. I seem to remember seeing a lower magic limit when my armor was degraded, but I am not sure if it was because of the damaged armor or perhaps I traded out a ring that gave magic for stamina at one point.

• AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Ourorboros wrote: »
    I have never checked numbers on this however.

You should be able to see the difference in the Character Stat Screen. I seem to remember seeing a lower magic limit when my armor was degraded, but I am not sure if it was because of the damaged armor or perhaps I traded out a ring that gave magic for stamina at one point.

The ring would be my guess, the armour value decreases as the damage increases, but enchant values seem to stay the same. Although I have only let the damage build up a couple of times, so I could be wrong.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have gotten my armor down to 40% or 50% in some Public Dungeon Farming Runs when I run them solo, but I never looked at the magic levels in any detail. I plan on camping out tonight in Sanguines Demesne to farm so I will have to check before I repair.

Anyone want to group up for a nice farming session with Daedra? Lots of Glyphs will be dropped.

• Caroloces
    Caroloces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone want to group up for a nice farming session with Daedra? Lots of Glyphs will be dropped.

What level and faction is that?
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    FYI, only the Armor stat is affected by "gradual" decay. So if a piece of armor is 98/150, you have lost armor rating but that is it. Armor rating loss seems to accelerate though as the armor gets damaged. This is only anecdotal and I have never tested it in depth, but I'll play an hour and see my Armor rating drop from 1100 to 1045. An hour later, it will have dropped from 1045 to 800. And so on. Repair costs seem to be linear, though. I might rack up 300 gold in repair costs per hour, but the affect on armor rating seems to grow more and more pronounced as you take damage. I might lose 50 armor rating the first hour, 150 the second hour and 400 the third hour.

Note that "complete" decay is a different story. If your piece of armor goes down to 0/150, you lose everything associated with that armor. Enchantment, trait, set bonuses, passive armor bonuses, everything.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Caroloces wrote: »

What level and faction is that?

Shadowfen is the place, NE corner of the map.

http://www.tesoelite.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Shadowfen-Skyshard-16.jpg

The only characters I have that have access to this place are in Caldwells Silver, so for me, VR Ranks. If your still leveling, then it's 24 to 30 and the third zone you will come to in the EP.

My EP leveling character is standing in a pile of snow in Bleakrock. Probably has frostbite by now.

• Caroloces
    Caroloces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shadowfen is the place, NE corner of the map.

Still leveling so I'll miss the farming. I could sure use more glyphs to deconstruct, though. Leveling Enchanting is such a long process!