Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Defeating Mannimarco.

• Pipsissiwa
    Pipsissiwa
    ✭✭
    I can't beat him as a 49 dual-wield NB. I can survive till the second wave of adds but then i get overwhelmed. Keep running out of potions. Once I died for the umpteenth time I quit for a while and have gone back to finishing up the last bit in Coldharbour (where only a few deaths and I have beaten everything so far). I have tried every combo of skills I can think of and still I am dead by the second wave. And failing in this game is very expensive, gold-wise.

I've tried leaving him to the NPCs for a while, but they don't start fighting till I do, and once I get his attention for even a nanosecond he is aggro on me till I die, and keeps on blasting me with some homing magic ball thing every few seconds which drains my health faster than I can heal it. If I hide behind a pillar one of two things happen - the balls still hit me every few seconds, or the encounter resets. And the AOE is so huge even double tapping twice doesn't always get you out of it as it goes off (at least for me) very quickly after the red circle appears.

Whilst I appreciate that some builds will be better than others, given I have got this far in the game playing 100% solo (except for group dungeons and level appropriate world bosses where I fought alongside others ungrouped), I feel my build can't be that bad and I really shouldn't have to totally change everything that has worked so well thus far for this one fight. What is the point in being able to make a build that works well and suits my style only to hit a boss where I have to change everything (not to mention at great in-game expense to respec). It makes the game balance seem off to me. It really shouldn't be possible to have a build that works well against everything else, that then has to be changed significantly for end-game fights. Especially after the player has learnt their character and how to play it as they have built it, which should be the strength of an experienced high level character.

On a side note, I've read quite a few of these 'Need Help with xxxx Fight!' threads, and the class that always has the most probs is NB. Not always, but def in the majority. Sorcerer the least. I have one of each class and my sorcerer, right from the first moment, has felt way more powerful than any of the others at the same level. She has walked over everything and barely ever died.
  • yelloweyedemon
    yelloweyedemon
    ✭✭✭
    One of the easiest boss fights for me. Did the quest when I hit lvl 40, wearing lvl 38 crafter armour (3 green rest white) and lvl 38 daggers (1 blue 1 green)

DW NB. Didn't die and used 2 pots (1 health 1 magicka)

Yeah Mannimarco.. Good idea to send 5 adds with 200 health each when I'm lowish health. Thanks!

*killers blade,killers blade,killers blade,killers blade* Poof 100% health again .
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GreySix wrote: »
    Sakiri wrote: »

Have you been paying attention to the story? You, meaning your single character is the champion. Not you and your buddy. Its not he five companions, plus 1. allowing grouping on the main story quests kills the immersion of the story and the Elder Scroll games have always been about the story. The quest. The whole story would have to be re-written to change the dialog and some content to turn the story into a multi-player even, hence huge change.

And it does not break immersion then that literally everyone else you see in the game has done exactly the same thing? It makes it hardly unique.

Also, even in group quests the npc's address yourself only in conversation so are these meant to be done solo as well?

What about the other companions that accompany you ? Your friend, should you choose to bring one could be just some other help on your quest.

How does it break YOUR immersion in the game if someone else brings a friend in HIS version of the story? You could still do it solo.

Don't forget that during the final quest you're basically told that no one will remember what you've done.

Aaaaack! Didn't know that.

Well, that kind of puts a damper on things.

It essentially removes the "but you *have* to do it soloooooo!" argument.
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pipsissiwa wrote: »
    I can't beat him as a 49 dual-wield NB. I can survive till the second wave of adds but then i get overwhelmed. Keep running out of potions. Once I died for the umpteenth time I quit for a while and have gone back to finishing up the last bit in Coldharbour (where only a few deaths and I have beaten everything so far). I have tried every combo of skills I can think of and still I am dead by the second wave. And failing in this game is very expensive, gold-wise.

I've tried leaving him to the NPCs for a while, but they don't start fighting till I do, and once I get his attention for even a nanosecond he is aggro on me till I die, and keeps on blasting me with some homing magic ball thing every few seconds which drains my health faster than I can heal it. If I hide behind a pillar one of two things happen - the balls still hit me every few seconds, or the encounter resets. And the AOE is so huge even double tapping twice doesn't always get you out of it as it goes off (at least for me) very quickly after the red circle appears.

Whilst I appreciate that some builds will be better than others, given I have got this far in the game playing 100% solo (except for group dungeons and level appropriate world bosses where I fought alongside others ungrouped), I feel my build can't be that bad and I really shouldn't have to totally change everything that has worked so well thus far for this one fight. What is the point in being able to make a build that works well and suits my style only to hit a boss where I have to change everything (not to mention at great in-game expense to respec). It makes the game balance seem off to me. It really shouldn't be possible to have a build that works well against everything else, that then has to be changed significantly for end-game fights. Especially after the player has learnt their character and how to play it as they have built it, which should be the strength of an experienced high level character.

On a side note, I've read quite a few of these 'Need Help with xxxx Fight!' threads, and the class that always has the most probs is NB. Not always, but def in the majority. Sorcerer the least. I have one of each class and my sorcerer, right from the first moment, has felt way more powerful than any of the others at the same level. She has walked over everything and barely ever died.

Are you actually *killing* the adds? Because if you don't, they don't really stop spawning I find...
  • GreySix
    GreySix
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you been paying attention to the story? You, meaning your single character is the champion. Not you and your buddy. Its not he five companions, plus 1. allowing grouping on the main story quests kills the immersion of the story and the Elder Scroll games have always been about the story. The quest. The whole story would have to be re-written to change the dialog and some content to turn the story into a multi-player even, hence huge change.

And it does not break immersion then that literally everyone else you see in the game has done exactly the same thing? It makes it hardly unique.

Also, even in group quests the npc's address yourself only in conversation so are these meant to be done solo as well?

What about the other companions that accompany you ? Your friend, should you choose to bring one could be just some other help on your quest.

How does it break YOUR immersion in the game if someone else brings a friend in HIS version of the story? You could still do it solo.

Don't forget that during the final quest you're basically told that no one will remember what you've done.

Aaaaack! Didn't know that.

Well, that kind of puts a damper on things.

So, you can face Manimarco with another player now?

Good to know!
    Crotchety Old Man Guild

"Hey you, get off my lawn!"
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

No

• Syntse
    Syntse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did Mannimarco with DW NB without much issues, sure it took some time but didn't feel that I was really fighting for my life. Maybe I got lucky with the companions as they seemed to concentrate on Manni while I fought the adds.

My action bar setup as far as I remember was:
    Blood Craze, Killer's Blade, Swallow Soul, Crippling Grasp, Leeching Strikes
    Ultimate: Veil of Blades
    Syntse Dominion Khajiit Dragonknight Stamina Tank [50]
    Ra'Syntse Dominion Khajiit Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
    Syntselle Dominion Dark Elf Dragonknight Magica DPS [50]
    Syntseus Dominion Imperial Templar Healer [50]
    Syntsetar Dominion High Elf Sorcerer Magica DPS [50]
    Friar Tuktuk Daggerfall Brenton Templar Healer [50]
    Syntseyn Ebonheart Brenton Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
  • GreySix
    GreySix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AngryNord wrote: »

No
    Ah, then I withdraw my celebratory comment and am simply confused regarding this comment:
    ... since one still must enter the encounter solo-only.
    Crotchety Old Man Guild

• beowulfsshield
    Eldhaaril wrote: »
    Well i'm just gonna put this out there if you can't beat him it's cheap but what you can do is hit him a couple of times then as soon as he teleports run away back up to where the door is and go stealthed, the npc's will start attacking him and bringing his health down to a more manageable level, wait a little while then come back out and kill him. I did this when I got to him on my first build which I ganked horribly (was pretty much a pvp only build) and didn't have the gold to respec. Cheap but if you're having trouble it works.
    Beat him first time doing this. Popped a couple of arrows into him to start the script, then ran back to the door and stealthed while the NPCs ran in and attacked him. He ignored me once I reached the door and stealthed. Waited a few minutes while they whittled his health down and then went back within range and he was down to about half health. Burned through my food enhanced magicka and stamina using only my bow at range and he was dead in less than 60 seconds. Took a few seconds for the adds to wake up and realize I was there and by the time they got to me he was dead. Popped a stamina pot and destroyed them pretty quickly as they are very squishy.

I had over leveled the encounter (45 NB) so that helped as well.
  • bahamut_x
    bahamut_x
    Soul Shriven
    V1 NB here, fresh off a month long break so was getting back into the swing of things, obviously didn't have much issue with this guy, but basically opened with a stealth blow, then venom arrow/light attacks and kept swallow soul on him non stop, when adds came I used arrow spray, killed em all in a shot or two, would have used killer's blade on adds to regain hp had I actually needed it /shrug.
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I myself think this fight is as hard as it is because the AI companions are completely useless. mannimarco completely ignores them, and focuses only on you the whole fight, even if you run away. this makes it really hard on builds that cant take a lot of punishment, and not everyone uses a resto staff, and potions wont even help very much at all. The only AI companion that even damages mannimarco, is tharn(of course, the dang sorcerer, why am I not surprised) if the AI helpers were actually USEFULL, and tanked him, like they should be doing, the fight would not be anywhere NEAR as bad as it is. the AI companions may as well have just stayed at the harborage for this quest. Zeni needs to go back thru and fix these worthless AI companions for these main story missions. I am a NB archer, I can stun him with venom arrow, use scorched earth to do some good damage on him, and kill the adds, deathstroke to do some damage, and impale IF I can even get him to low health, but that's it. my shadow cloak wont even work, it starts, but immediately stops. wth? so I may have to completely change my entire build, just to do this fight, all because of the worthless AI companions. what kind of crap is that? I refuse to switch to DW and spam stun attacks, and I refuse to switch to a dang staff, I have played my build since lvl 2, and I WILL NOT change it, and spend a crap ton of gold changing it, all because of one fight. zeni needs to go thru this battle, and see how ridiculously hard it is.
    and don't tell me "your build sucks" because I soloed 3 vet zones with it, only grouping for dolmens, world bosses, and public dungoens
    Edited by Cody on June 14, 2014 8:23PM
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lyris, Abnur, Sai and Varen should all be Level 50 With maxed-out skills and Instant self-heal, IMO, after all they're supposed to be the mightiest Warriors in Tamriel...
  • pxlforge
    pxlforge
    i'm still failing this at lvl 49. FYI - if u fail at a main quest u can always get out via Cyodiil then use the wayshrine to get back to where u are questing.
    Edited by pxlforge on July 3, 2014 12:09AM
  • je25ffb14_ESO
    je25ffb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I just did this on my lvl 42 templar and downed him on the second try. The trick is to interrupt and save your magika/stamina for when he calls his adds. Once I figured out that the adds where the real goal, it wasn't too bad.

They do more damage than he does. You want to drop them fast. Used a pot or two, I believe.
    Edited by je25ffb14_ESO on July 29, 2014 8:37PM
  • GreySix
    GreySix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    okay, what the heck is a pot?
    Crotchety Old Man Guild

• Jaxom
    Jaxom
    ✭✭✭✭

Short for Potion. Use a Health pot, Stamina pot, Magicka pot, ect.
  • GreySix
    GreySix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaxom wrote: »

Short for Potion. Use a Health pot, Stamina pot, Magicka pot, ect.

Ah, ok. Thanks.
    Crotchety Old Man Guild

• T@rty
    T@rty
    ✭✭✭
    I have a level 44 NB and just got my arse handed to me AGAIN on this quest line. I originally tried it at level 40 and had no trouble with all the other boss but got repeatedly wasted by Mannimarco. Seems the only solution is to re spec :-(
    Edited by T@rty on September 21, 2014 8:51PM
  • ClarkNova
    ClarkNova
    Soul Shriven
    As others have said before, it seems that NB's have a horrible time with this fight. My issue is paying $15 a month for something that is a far worse experience for me than it is for a Templar. Hooray for you, you heal yourself constantly and your staff does exceptional amounts of damage to him. And don't give me that "you're just not a good player" nonsense. My solo game is awesome, and I am a total badass. At lvl 48, I can one-hit kill pretty much anything. If I can 1-hit kill a lvl 47 baddie in Coldharbor, or kill a mammoth without taking any damage, I should at least do SOME damage to Mannimarco, but it does nothing. I completely smoke everything leading up to him, then... dead. 7 tries so far. I re-spec'd my character points, put more in health and stamina, took some away from magika, (21, 11, 14) and spent a bunch of extra skill points I had on a bow and ranged powers. The closest I've gotten to beating Mannimarco was just moments ago... I had him down to like 5% health, then the 2nd round of ghosts swarmed me, but I didn't have enough stamina to run and lead them away from him so I could kill them. I almost had a heart attack. This is really, really, really lame. You should not have to respec a char to win a boss fight. Especially for a $15 a month game. Fix this junk, Zenimax, for reals.
  • Syntse
    Syntse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    T@rty wrote: »
    I have a level 44 NB and just got my arse handed to me AGAIN on this quest line. I originally tried it at level 40 and had no trouble with all the other boss but got repeatedly wasted by Mannimarco. Seems the only solution is to re spec :-(

I don't recall having too much issue with my NB in this fight. Doesn't tell what weapons you use but let's assume DW. Try using following skills to keep you alive.

- Strife, Swallow Soul
    - Siphoing Stikes, Leeching strikes
    - Drain Power, Power extraction (for the adds which any way die fast)
    - Twin slashes, Blood craze (as main attack skill)
    - 5th skill could be shield from fighters guild, heal (entropy) from mages guild or whirlwind for aoe to kill adds

This should of course work with any melee weapon choice just replace slashes/craze with which ever skill you like to use to do damage.

Have your armor and weapon on lvl and maybe get some stam+hp food if you don't have already. Disrupt Mannis special attacks and try to stay out of the big reds. When portal appears from where the adds come, forget manni and kill them and then back to manni. Your companions should be keeping Manni busy while you kill the adds.
    Syntse Dominion Khajiit Dragonknight Stamina Tank [50]
    Ra'Syntse Dominion Khajiit Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
    Syntselle Dominion Dark Elf Dragonknight Magica DPS [50]
    Syntseus Dominion Imperial Templar Healer [50]
    Syntsetar Dominion High Elf Sorcerer Magica DPS [50]
    Friar Tuktuk Daggerfall Brenton Templar Healer [50]
    Syntseyn Ebonheart Brenton Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
  • T@rty
    T@rty
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice Syntse, I've re specced (which was bloody expensive!) taking Venom Arrow instead of Poison injection to stop manni's siphoning attack which was my biggest problem. As for the skills you suggest, the only ones I've not got are 'Drain Power, Power extraction', I'll look into those.

Bit annoyed that you have to respec all or just the Morphs, rather than selecting individual skills. As they were a couple of skills I'd taken that I now felt I did not need. For example Clothing Outfitter which I'd original taken because finding material to make medium armour was a pain when your level was to high for the animals attacked but this was fixed in the last patch.
  • T@rty
    T@rty
    ✭✭✭
    Well I managed to complete it by using Venom Arrow and staying back by the door as beowulfsshield suggested. Still a bit peeved about the 4900k re spec but hey :)

Hopefully an individual skills respec will come in another patch at some point.
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I really think much of the trouble in this quest, and the other Main Quests where they give you companions, would be solved if they made the companions actually _useful_... Apparently they're like level 10 or something all through the game?? They're supposed to be the mightiest warriors in all of Tamriel, so they should be level 50 with all sorts of special moves, IMO...
  • curlyqloub14_ESO
    curlyqloub14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are only a few challenging fights like this in the 1-50 content (there used to be more, but they've been nerfed b/c of complaints like this). These fights are INTENTIONALLY hard - so that you LEARN how to play your character better, in prep for vet ranks. I'm not saying you don't know how to play, but if you are never challenged, you will never get better.

The Companions aren't supposed to be useful. They're there because it's part of the story, but they are not intended to be a crutch for you to lean on.

Adapt to the situation. By level 40+, you should easily have enough skills/variety to find a combo that will beat this fight. As for NBs out there who have not bought Strife - wtf guys?? This is your bread n butter! It's your HEAL!!! And the synergy it has with some of the other Siphoning passives is really the best class synergies we have. The idea that any NB would skip this skill just boggles me.

Those people who like a Shadowy play style...yes you have to adapt for this fight (and probably others too). The Shadow line is a lot about evasion. Evasion may be fine when you're in a group, or out in the world where you can run away, but the bottom line with these boss fights is that you have you KILL them, not evade them! Sure there are a few damage skills in there, but your better damage lines are Assassination and Siphoning. You have three skill lines - why in the world would you not put them all to use? Especially when some of the skills in each line are pretty useless - buy the good ones, skip the dumb ones and save those points for something good from a different line. Different skills for different fights.

And speaking of skills, don't forget to use your ultimates at the right time. This was a mistake I did make early on - I would just totally forget about them in the heat of battle. But they are powerful, and can make or break a fight. I've never used Veil of Blades, but hear good things about it. Soul Harvest is fun, but not much use for fights with lots of adds since it's single target. But you can just keep it slotted while you are killing since it builds ultimate with every kill, then switch to your other bar and use a different ultimate when the time is right. I almost always keep Soul Siphon on a bar though, and it has saved me many times.
    Edited by curlyqloub14_ESO on September 24, 2014 6:51PM
  • Lylith
    Lylith
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    unblockable lovely blue light that drains you like a warm beer and can reach through pillars, walls, around corners, wherever.

i've beat this fight before w/an nb, but i have no memory of how i did it.

as a level 45 sorc who can chew up most anything i've encountered, i get my a&& handed to me everytime on this fight.

go figure.

i tried staying back by the door to heal, but the fight simply resets.

between this battle and dealing with o/p storm atronachs, i'm not having a good couple days.

• yiasemi
    yiasemi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, after dying two or three times I worked it out. Either siphon or searing strike and run in circles hitting him with your fave stamina hit. Run away when the red circle starts, you know when after a while. I whack him with my ultimate when it max's just for lols. I never die now. Some long fights for NBs need a self-heal. Including the big chap. I develop 2 and switch them out. And never stop moving. An NB who stops moving in a fight is either sure of victory, on the fone, or tired of life.
    Them's the hard knocks of life. Go and play something else if that daunts you. NB's need dedication, and a lot of pig-headedness. I'm half-Greek half-Yorkie. I'm made for NB. It's my racial skill Stupidity. I maxed it.
  • Master_Fluff
    Master_Fluff
    ✭✭✭✭
    Finally beat the annoying, pompous twit. After the 1.5.2 patch was installed. Solo dungeon scaling appears to be in function; at my previous try I was at level 43, Mannimarco's health at 20k and I died loads of times. Now I was level 49.66 (66% on the way to 50/VR1), Mannimarco had 24960 health and I took him down without dying. dieing. How do you spell this again? :D
    My avatar is a templar and below is a list of what I used in this fight.
    1: Sun Fire, Solar Flare, Backlash to get the mildly useless "companions" busy.
    2: Restoration staff, Sun Fire, Backlash, Solar Flare in quick, multiple succession.
    3: Puncturing Strikes (the healing morph), Flurry, Whirlwind for close up damage.
    4: Whirlwind for his "minions" (stamina regen morph)
    5: Repentance, Ritual of Rebirth, magicka + stamina potions
    And before the fight a 60 minute health and stamina food boost. Which increased my health to 2300 or so.
    And that was it. I didn't write down how long it took, would have been nice to know . Naturally, I used health and magicka enchanted Ashen Grip/Death Wind medium armor. Helps a lot in any fight.
  • titoisme
    titoisme
    Soul Shriven
    I did it at 40, died a couple of times but finally got him this way: I'd beat on him, when the adds came I'd shoot at them with the FG crossbow skill, got all waves really easily too, then I'd beat him some more...activating the undaunted blood funnel for quick health regen then rinse and repeat beating him and running from his aoe's until I finally got him.
  • rotaugen454
    rotaugen454
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My level 40 NB died once when trying to hang back, so the second time I charged in, kept moving around him while pounding on him, and used silver bolts on adds. Beat him fairly easily, but used 2 potions.
    "Get off my lawn!"
  • Morthur
    Morthur
    ✭✭✭
    Edited by Morthur on January 19, 2015 5:16PM
This discussion has been closed.