The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Crypto Wall virus hit my PC while downloading patch. Careful.

Umfafa_Umfafason
It may be an unfortunate coincidence, but the Crypto Wall virus hit my PC while downloading this most recent patch. In case some are unaware of this one, it's a virus that encrypts your system and requests a ransom to be paid in bitcoin in the amount of $500+. You've got to use a TOR browser, and untraceable currency to pay off the ransom....and I'm just not willing to do that. I'll buy a new PC instead. Screw the virus writing scumbags.

It seems to have encrypted the majority of my hard disks, despite Malwarebytes, Virus Scanners, and firewall in place, updated, and running.

This is one of the reasons why I never give administrative privileges to games. To fix some connection issues I had to...and this was the result.

Buying a new PC and it should be delivered tomorrow, but a word to the people out there that blindly follow suggestions.

DO NOT give administrative access to your system to a gorram game. It doesn't need it, and when you receive a patch with ransomware in it, you can't do anything but turn off the computer and buy a new one.

Zenimax. Might wanna check the download. It's the only thing I've downloaded in more than a week, so I'm pretty sure it came from your feed.
  • BloodStorm
    BloodStorm
    ✭✭✭
    Ya, that blows. I doubt it was ZoS files that gave it, but the virus might of been dormant on your PC, which then was triggered by the download realizing the pc was still in use. I wish the US was like China when dealing with hackers, which is often a swift guaranteed death penalty if caught. People work hard for their money so it is a serious issue. Hope new PC works well for you, ha.
    Edited by BloodStorm on September 16, 2014 3:18PM
  • Zarman
    Zarman
    ✭✭✭
    Well i don't know a work around with the virus, can't you just buy a new Hard drive, and keep the rest of your pc?
  • Vanilie
    Vanilie
    Soul Shriven
    The virus must have been on your computer for some time as it takes some time to actually encrypt your data. Afaik it only pops up once its finished with its dirty work.
  • Elf_Boy
    Elf_Boy
    ✭✭✭
    I wish the US was like China when dealing with hackers, which is often a swift guaranteed death penalty if caught.

I was curious and did some research.

I am finding that yes China is very willing to execute convicted criminals. I could only find two individuals with which hacking was listed and they hacked a bank stealing money. Bank robbery was the real crime and hacking the tool.

I am interested in more information in this topic.

Do you have sources?
    ** Asus Crosshair VI Hero, Ryzen 1800x, 64GB DDR4 @ 3000, GTX 1080 ti, 4K Samsung 3d Display m.2 Sata 3 Boot Drive, m.2 x4 nvme Game Drive **
  • Elf_Boy
    Elf_Boy
    ✭✭✭
    Zarman wrote: »
    Well i don't know a work around with the virus, can't you just buy a new Hard drive, and keep the rest of your pc?

Just format the hard drive(s).

Sucks about the data, buying a whole new computer for just this reason is a bit much.
    ** Asus Crosshair VI Hero, Ryzen 1800x, 64GB DDR4 @ 3000, GTX 1080 ti, 4K Samsung 3d Display m.2 Sata 3 Boot Drive, m.2 x4 nvme Game Drive **