The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Help a newbie out, you never know, some day she might save you from an untimely death.

Wuggums47
Wuggums47
✭✭
Hello, I'm new to this game, I purchased it yesterday, and it's still downloading. I've been doing some reading around the internet, and I get the gist of what I'll be doing as a Sorceress. It seems like the High Elves are the best sorceresses, which is a shame because they don't seem like very nice people. I heard one tip that kind of confused me that while we level we should wear at least one piece of armor from each type. Wouldn't that put your character at a bit of a disadvantage?

Also, are there any other really good fan sites out there? One wiki I found for another game was so comprehensive in their wiki that every one of the thousands of items in the game had their own separate page explaining what they did. Every quest had a guide on this wiki, and there were pages of strategy about how to best kill a powerful foe.

I'm not expecting a wiki that good, but if anyone knows any good fan sites let me know. Thirdly I'd like you to tell me personally what you think is the proper way to level up? What things did you wish you knew when you had just created your first character?
  • Vyle_Byte
    Vyle_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While its true High Elves make a good sorcerer, other races can be great as well.. Breton has some good perks for magic, also i dont know if you bought the Imperial edition but if you did, Imperials can be surprisingly good as well for the health perks. Ive played all, they all work :) You can really make any race work if you put enough points into your magic and/or equip magic glyphs to your armor.

The best way to level up in the beginning is questing, start by finding the quest for the starter island in the faction you choose and do everything there, find all the skyshards and you will be well on your way. It will normally get you to level 6/7 fairly fast, then you go back to the mainland and just quest your butt off lol! Grinding mobs wont get you there nearly as fast. Follow one quest to another, explore the world, its gorgeous!

As far as your gear, in the beginning its not bad to have a piece of each, but if you are running a sorcerer you definitely want to focus on light armor. All the buffs you need are there. Some people like to throw on other pieces for the perks and a little extra protection.

A couple sites i use:
    uesp.net/wiki/Main_Page
    eso-fashion.com/hidden-crafting-stations/

Hope this helps a little. Main thing is just, have fun, figure out your own play style and try not to get discouraged by the forums lol, they can be pretty brutal. I have been playing since beta and am still loving this game.

Cheers :)
    Member of the Old Guard
    Mother of the Byte Family
    Vyle Byte||Ivana Byte||Vyible Byte||Hakate Vampler Former EMPRESS BWB||Haan Zolo {Retired} (He swung first)||Lunari ||Wardyn Chalyk Tahno||Dirti Dianah||Bonnie||
    Viva la Byte
  • Xexpo
    Xexpo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The purpose of having at least one of each armor is to get them all leveled up as you go about questing and such. Making your life easier.
    If you aren't wearing at least one piece, you will not gain any experience in that armor skill line. It isn't tons of fun to go back and grind xp after you already hit max level, once you've realize you would like some of the passives from other armor skill lines, or abilities like 'Immovable'.

also, if you like wiki : http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Elder+Scrolls+Online+Wiki

Kiki Dickson ~~~ Dixmanian Devil ~~~ Cornelius Buckshank Jr.
    Histy-Fitz ~~~ Boozemer ~~~ Chace X'expo
    Lluvia De'Fuego ~~~ Shakes Spear
    Macro and Cheese NA/PC
  • Vuron
    Vuron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some very good fan sites around. Just to get you started...

http://tamrielfoundry.com/ is a great place for class, build, and mechanics advice.

http://tamrieljournal.com/ is a good overall site for in-game information, skill lines, etc.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wuggums47 wrote: »
    It seems like the High Elves are the best sorceresses, which is a shame because they don't seem like very nice people.
    Hey, don't judge the whole race based on a few a truckload of bad apples! They may be a bit arrogant, but plenty of them have good hearts deep down. And just wait until you meet Ayrenn.

Don't get too hung up on the race though, the right passives can be very useful, but choosing a non-optimal race won't break your build. Take it from a Bosmer DK. ;)

I second the advice to go to the starter island. As for general advice:
    • Travelling between wayshrines is free.
    • Don't bother repairing armor early on, there are better uses for your money - like saving up for a horse if you don't have the Imperial Edition. Just wear quest rewards and gather mats to craft new armor when the old one breaks down.
    • Loot everything. You will find motifs and recipes in containers. Additionally, if you want to level up Provisioning, it's best to do it early on when you have easy access to low level mats.
    • Go off the beaten path. Not only will you find quests, there are also lorebooks scattered in many remote places - and finding them is how you level up the Mages skill line.
    • Read books. Some of them increase your skills.
    • All delves (torch icon) have a skyshard inside.

But most importantly, have fun! And, uhm, try not to spend too much time on the forums... We tend to have a pretty negative atmosphere around here.
  • shadowz081
    shadowz081
    ✭✭✭
    Racial passives, tactically can help, but on the strategic scale are negligible. Something nice to have but not needed unless you are a min/maxer going for top trial times.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I heard one tip that kind of confused me that while we level we should wear at least one piece of armor from each type. Wouldn't that put your character at a bit of a disadvantage?

As other's have said, Light Armor is the way to go for Mages. However, some Medium Armor can help with Criticals and Sneaking around. Heavy Armor has the Immovable skill that does not require you wear HA, but the HA skill needs to be a like 22 to unlock Immoveable. Although I use Boundless Storm to augment Armor as it also deals out some nice damage over time.

So, to get the most from an armor, then 7/7. But, a nice mix of 5 Light/2 Medium would be a nice build to go with too. In the beginning it is good to have all 3 armor types just to get some experience with them, but I have never felt the need to mix armors on a character. I have outright changed armor from Heavy to Medium or Medium to Light. But, they go all Light or all Medium or all Heavy.

If your going to equip a single Heavy Armor piece, choose your Helm for that as it can be hidden in the game so it won't clash with your other armor looks.

Don't bother repairing the armor, just replace the worn out parts with the drops you get. And, for the first 10 or 15 levels, just wear what you get as drops and don't worry about the armor type. This will give you a good skill base to go forward with once you decide on what mix you want to wear.

However, please, if your done with a piece of armor, don't sell it or throw it out. Either Research the Trait or Deconstruct the piece. BTW, you want 3 traits researched so you can make the best armor for a Mage in the game (Seducer) or 4 Traits for the second best set (Magnus Gift). You need to know these traits on each armor and weapon item you want to craft it for.

If your going to do the crafting research route, get the Craft Store add on to help with this.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Wuggums47
    Wuggums47
    ✭✭
    How would I deconstruct armor? I haven't quite figured that out yet.
  • Greatfellow
    Greatfellow
    ✭✭✭
    Don't be in a rush to level up, please, Wuggums. You'll have plenty of time after you've gotten strong to wish you'd gotten there slower. By the way, love your post title. Also, you sound like Sarsmi from Ultima Online... you aren't her by any chance, are you?

To Deconstruct stuff: when you are in the crafting window along the top of the window you'll see some icons. Hover over each to see what crafting activity they each represent (e.g., creation, deconstruct, research). Whatever activity you choose, by left-clicking the appropriate icon, a crafting window opens. in the middle of the window for Deconstruct, Research, or Improve, you'll see a list of any items you have that you may use for that activity. Left click the item you want to work with to select it, and then follow the prompt at the bottom of the crafting window (usually tells you what keyboard key to press, to proceed or cancel the crafting activity). that's a rough description, but should get you into crafting. :)

Also, here's a good thread to read while you download the game: "Tips you wish you'd known from the start"
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/75939/tips-you-wish-you-d-known-from-the-start

Also, it's good to understand the three factions right from the start (Daggerfall Covenant, Aldemeri Dominion, Ebonheart Pact) as they are constant elements in the game, both the early leveling and the end-game content PvP.

Also, find yourself an ESO Acronyms list. That will be Invaluable. Here's a list of some acronyms. You'll probably already know some, but others you will find useful, and other people or resources will provide more:
    AD - Aldmeri Dominion
    AFK - Away from Keyboard
    Aggro - how threatening a monster finds you, and decides who to hit.
    AH - Auction House
    AoE - area of effect
    API - application programming interface
    AvA - alliance versus alliance
    Buff - An effect that makes a gaming character stronger
    DC - Daggerfall Covenant
    DD - "damage dealer", a character whose primary role is dealing damage
    DK - Dragonknight
    DoT - Damage over time
    DPS - Damage per second
    EP - Ebonheart Pact
    ESO - The Elder Scrolls Online, the game.
    FF - Focus Fire Used to denote a target all members of the group should direct their attacks against. E.g. "FF Sent" Would mean "Focus Fire Sentinels (because the stupid templar healer forgot how to dodge attacks!)"
    FOV - Field of view (in context FOV slider)
    FPS - Frames per second
    HOT - Heal over time
    HPS - heals per second
    LFG: look for group
    LMB - Left mouse button
    Mob - Hostile NPC's
    Mundus - The plane or realm of existence that encompasses Nirn, its moons and attendant planets
    NB - nightblade
    Nerf - An effect that makes a gaming character weaker
    Nirn - The planet on which the Elder Scrolls is set
    NPCs -Listing of all non-player characters in the game
    OOM - Out of Mana
    OP - Over Powered
    Proc - "programmed random occurrence", i.e. random additional buff when using a skill
    PuG - pick up group
    PvE - Player versus environment
    PvP - Player versus Player
    RMB - Right mouse button
    RNG - "random number generator", refers to the game's algorithms to determine if an ability hit and for how hard, or what loot dropped, etc.
    Tank - a character built to withstand repeated and excessive physical blows, so as to divert, distract, or absorb
    TESO - The Elder Scrolls Online
    UESP - The Unofficial Elder scrolls Pages
    UI - user interface
    WTB - Want to buy
    WTS - want to sell
    WTT - want to trade
    XP - Experience
    ZOS - ZeniMax Online Studios, the developer of the game
    Edited by Greatfellow on September 15, 2014 5:02PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thirdly I'd like you to tell me personally what you think is the proper way to level up? What things did you wish you knew when you had just created your first character?

Do Quests to Level Up. That gives the most experience. Mob grinding won't give you that much exp unless you really focus on it in a few places in the game. However, you don't need to grind really, just do most of the quests and you will be fine.

1. Research, research, research. If you craft, you will want to make crafted sets, and to make those you need to know traits, and you get to know them by researching. You get a lot of exp in the craft lines from research, so it's a good thing to do.

2. If your in a fight with game provided NPCs, they can't die. So, don't worry about them. Let the game supplied NPCs take the aggro from the bosses when you need to step back and regen something.

3. Talk to everyone, taking a quest does not mean starting it, in most cases, but you will know what level you need to be to do that quest so you can plan things out.

4. If your going to Craft, until you get some money, storage space will be tight. So, either focus on one or two craft lines per character. Or, roll Alts and use them for storage. You can also level up the Alt's crafting skills to 3 and hire the L1 Hirelings to bring you crafting materials. It adds up over time.

5. If your not going to craft, then don't fret over the money you are not getting from the NPCs. There is always more loot out there and it all sells. You can make lots of gold an hour by farming public dungeons and selling the loot to NPCs.

6. Use /Zone chat to ask for help, give people 5 to 10 minutes to show up

7. Don't be afraid of Dolmens, someone will come by to help with them. Also, a /zone message saying XYZ Dolmen is up will get people to show up. You only need one hit on one mob to get credit for the Dolmen.

8. There is no kill stealing, so if some one helps you, be grateful and take the loot you would get anyone from a solo kill.

9. Have some way to heal, potions spells, skills whatever, just be able to heal yourself someway some how.

10. Once you start seeing Healers in a mob, take them out first. Focus on them, they need to die immediately. You should not see healers until level 15 or so, but heed this advice.

11. Get some soul gems and kill crabs to trap souls. You get the skill for free from the game, and having filled soul gems can allow you to resurrect right in place to keep on in a dungeon. Your also invincible for a bit, so move away from the enemies before you become engaged again.

• Wuggums47
    Wuggums47
    ✭✭
    I'm not anyone from Ultima online, so you probably don't know me yet GreatFellow. I'd like to thank everyone who has posted so far, you've all been very helpful.
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Also remember, if after awhile you decided you've picked skills early on that you don't use any more, (or never used), you can always pay some gold and reset your skills and stats. So you're not stuck with bad skill choices.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • Unmai
    Unmai
    ✭✭✭
    As a relative new starter myself I would suggest grouping with people in delves or at least playing through with them. As said earlier there is not kill stealing but a) it makes them a little easier early on and b) it's a good way to hopefully make a few friends which once you reach fungal Grotto could be useful to call upon.

Also look for a guild, not a big one with lots of members but a smaller more personal one where the member will take time to teach and help you. The guild I was lucky enough to find are great and even the VR12 members will drop what they are doing to run a dungeon or just help out with something I'm having difficulty with. (they will also offer to craft higher level gear than I currently have the ability to do myself) :-)

In the end, don't be in a rush. Take you time. Remember "When you dance, your purpose is not to get to a certain place on the floor. It's to enjoy each step along the way."
    "Wonderful! Time for a celebration... Cheese for everyone! Wait, scratch that. Cheese for no one. That can be just as much of a celebration, if you don't like cheese. True?" - Sheogorath
  • Wuggums47
    Wuggums47
    ✭✭
    Hey, one more question, as a sorceress, do I want to put my points in to health or magicka? It seems like magicka is the right choice, but too little health and I might die.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Eventually you will probably want to have most (if not all) points in health and get magicka through other means, like enchants. Your DPS is zero if you're dead... Of course the exact distribution varies depending on your build. However, pre-veteran content doesn't require that much survivability, so I think it's best to put more points into magicka while you level up. I did 3 magicka:1 health with my NB caster, but she's quite fragile, so you may want to put some more points into health. You'll see what you're comfortable with as you play.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, one more question, as a sorceress, do I want to put my points in to health or magicka? It seems like magicka is the right choice, but too little health and I might die.

All Health. I had a mix of Health and Mana on my Sorceress and she ended up better over all with all Health. I just respecced her this morning.

You can always add mana with Glyphs. Someday you might even want some Stamina, so this lets you go either way with Glyphs and not have to respec. You can even have a Mana set of armor and a Stamina set of armor at some point.