Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The Horrible Weapon Swap Mechanic

Soliss
Soliss
✭✭✭
You advertise this mechanic is a core feature of the game, but it is sadly lacking. You add new patches saying you're fixing it (removing the non-documented delay, weapon texture caching etc).

However, the weapon swap mechanic is terrible. It is horribly non-responsive. It seems to work ok under non-stress but in combat it is probably the worst feature in this game.

It delays, it gets you killed, it double swaps. It is least reliable action you can take in battle. If you press a button, it should perform an action or queue properly to perform an action. Weapon swap doesn't work when you need it.

@ZOS_GinaBruno‌ , @ZOS_JessicaFolsom‌ , please see if you can get someone to get this mechanic to work well, because otherwise you have a large portion of this game that just ends up frustrating to use.
  • poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why does mine work so well? I use it in pretty well every fight, often several times. I switch from an AoE bar to my DPS bar constantly and it just works. What am I doing ... right.
  • Varicite
    Varicite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why does mine work so well? I use it in pretty well every fight, often several times. I switch from an AoE bar to my DPS bar constantly and it just works. What am I doing ... right.

I haven't had any issues w/ weapon swapping since the last patch at all.

We must be hitting the button harder or something.
  • bertenburnyb16_ESO
    bertenburnyb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mine works fine except in big Cyro battles, but well then nothing works, I try to charge in the middle of it but then stuck in charging animation for minutes, luckely the enemy can also hardly cast anything
    Haze Ramoran Dunmer Dragonknight Tank/Dps – Smoked-Da-Herb Saxheel Templar Tank/Healer

Red Diamond, Protect us 'til the end (EU EP Thorn)
  • Liea
    Liea
    ✭✭
    The double swap could easily be removed if the client not only sent 'swap weapon' to the server but 'swap weapon to weapon number 1 (or 2)' to the server. That way network and server lag could not interfere since the weapon ability bar that should be swapped to will always stay the same as long as the client is using the unswitched weapon bar.
  • jnjapexb14_ESO
    jnjapexb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Weapon swap is ok in PvE, but in large PvP battles it can still take 3 seconds or more for the swap to take effect for me sometimes - 3 seconds in PvP = dead me
  • Varicite
    Varicite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weapon swap is ok in PvE, but in large PvP battles it can still take 3 seconds or more for the swap to take effect for me sometimes - 3 seconds in PvP = dead me

This is true, but in large PvP battles everything can take 3 seconds or more to take effect.

I didn't mention it because it's not an issue specific to weapon swapping.
  • Stratti
    Stratti
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use my staff to pull large packs for line of sight then quickly switch to S+B. No problems here
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no issues swapping weapons ether. I have it set for the middle mouse button and honestly it works great letting me go from bow to dagger with no delay.
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • Troponin
    Troponin
    ✭✭✭
    I am double swapping a lot since the patch. I think it needs a .5 second or 1 second GCD to fix the issue. I dont' want any more key bindings than necessary, so I am fine with it staying on the same button.
  • Elf_Boy
    Elf_Boy
    ✭✭✭
    Troponin wrote: »
    I am double swapping a lot since the patch. I think it needs a .5 second or 1 second GCD to fix the issue. I dont' want any more key bindings than necessary, so I am fine with it staying on the same button.

That is a really good idea.

I'd like to see a Q or onscreen prompt that the key has been pressed.

When it isnt working for me it turns out to be that I am/was in somesort of CC situation. I get that would keep anything from happening -- as a player though I feel like the game engine has stopped responding... some sort of visible/audible alert (like we get for no mana/no stamina) would help a great deal.
    ** Asus Crosshair VI Hero, Ryzen 1800x, 64GB DDR4 @ 3000, GTX 1080 ti, 4K Samsung 3d Display m.2 Sata 3 Boot Drive, m.2 x4 nvme Game Drive **
  • Soliss
    Soliss
    ✭✭✭
    Liea wrote: »
    The double swap could easily be removed if the client not only sent 'swap weapon' to the server but 'swap weapon to weapon number 1 (or 2)' to the server. That way network and server lag could not interfere since the weapon ability bar that should be swapped to will always stay the same as long as the client is using the unswitched weapon bar.

I think this is a great way to fix the double swap. Although frankly, I have doubts that they'll be able to implement it. Simple bugs around here seem to remain unfixed for months on end.