Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Ways to Counter the Impulse-Spamming Zerg

david.haypreub18_ESO
david.haypreub18_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
There's another post on the zerg right now, but it is getting bogged down in a debate over whether removing the AoE cap will mean the Zerg's end or its total dominance. What I'd like to do here is to talk about some ways in which the Impulse-spamming Zerg can be countered, so we can fight it most effectively.

Personally, as a Templar, I find the Spear Shards morph, Blazing Spear to be one of my more effective counters. You can't stand in the Zerg with it, but you can get out of its way, harry its flanks, do a bit of damage and work to break up the zerg by stunning some of its members (one at a time). You can then pick off the stragglers.

Blazing Shield of course goes without saying, but if even it won't let you stay in the path of the zerg for long without dying.

Caltrops, Barrier and Meatbag catapults have also been mentioned.

What other counters/ways of fighting the zerg have you found effective?
Edited by david.haypreub18_ESO on August 27, 2014 10:58PM
Templars are 'just slower... by design'
Yes, Gina actually said that (at least regarding Rushed Ceremony) right here:
http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/161959/templar-skills-bugged-made-useless-ignored/p24
VR 16 Templar (retired until Templars get fixed)
VR 16 Sorcerer
38 Nightblade
24 DK
  • Thudunblundur
    Thudunblundur
    ✭✭✭
    Meteor and Volcanic Rune. SUCH fun :)

Also like using Meteor on groups on Keep Walls: I love the surprised look on their faces (I swear it's there) as they arc beautifully backward off the Battlements. ;)

Edit: Not enough on it's own of course - but several together should make an opening...
    Edited by Thudunblundur on August 28, 2014 12:13AM
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    DKs could pull chain people out of the zerg and kill them... but idk if immovable blocks it or not. though I doubt people would try it, as they think its only good for pulling people off of keepwalls. hehe
  • frosth.darkomenb16_ESO
    frosth.darkomenb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Impulse is a relatively weak spell.

If you have a group of your own that has the moral fortitude of not exploiting the target caps, you could accept to use stacking only when facing trains.

But instead of using impulse, use any of the better aoes existing in the game.
    As someone else mentionned, volcanic rune works well.
    It would cost them stamina in addition of hp.

But due to the deathrecap, it may lead to super-germs once they adapt to it too.
  • demonlkojipub19_ESO
    demonlkojipub19_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Impulse is not a weak spell..

No matter what additional spell or ability you include in your "Counter", Impulse zerg spam back. Impulse zerg spammers will do the same.
    Edited by demonlkojipub19_ESO on August 30, 2014 12:43AM
  • frosth.darkomenb16_ESO
    frosth.darkomenb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Impulse is my weakest aoe. And it is pbaoe. Its redeeming feature is its radius(8m) and how easy it is to use when following the crown.

Both volcanic rune and lightning flood have better damage per magicka and better secundary effects.

And 28m range, so you could start spamming their way, get in a stack formation yourself to gain the same defensive advantages and the out dps and out sustain them.

Unfortunately, as we both said, it would work only a couple time until they learn and adapt.
    But it should work a few time per group, and in my experience, once a stacking train gets wiped, they change front or go guest elsewhere.
  • Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    have a few DKs spam fragmented shield its applied to 6 friendly targets that each can then hit 6 enemy targets = 6x6x~400dmg(14k+ DPS) just melts every pulse spammers face...
    spelling and grammar errors are free to be abused

Sallington wrote: »
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

• Hypertionb14_ESO
    Hypertionb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    good ultmiates for anti Zerg.

Negate Magic
    Soul Shred
    Dragon Leap
    Meteor

each one of thes is a AOE with strong stun and or knockback.. one in the middle of a zerg is enough to slow it... a smallish group can utterly destroy a Zerg with these skills, finishing the enemies off while they are still reeling from the inital Impacts...

there are also quite a few universal skills that have the same effect...

The key being simply breaking up and stunning.

of course... no matter how good you are, dont ever expect to win against superior numbers.... Simple Mathematics of preschool level should have taught you that...

its possible yes, but unlikely..
    I play every class in every situation. I love them all.
  • The_Drexill
    The_Drexill
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is no current counter in game to Impulse Zerg Balls.
    Brandizzle - NB
    Drexill The Unbreakable - Sorc

For teh covenant.
  • Vaelen
    Vaelen
    ✭✭✭

Just until they buff Stamina and Melee builds, which might be never...
    Edited by Vaelen on August 31, 2014 3:30AM
  • frosth.darkomenb16_ESO
    frosth.darkomenb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vaelen wrote: »

Just until they buff Stamina and Melee builds, which might be never...

Even if they did, it wouldn't change a thing. Instead of impulse only, it would be whirlwind, but still the same behaviours.
  • ThyIronFist
    ThyIronFist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only counter is form an even bigger zerg ball, or as some people suggested on these forums... lol... "Move out of the way."

Great counter to zerg balls. Especially when they are trying to take a keep, you just avoid them and let them take the keep. :blush:
    The Elder Zergs Online
    Sainur Ironfist - DK - EU - Ebonheart Pact
    Retired
  • Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only counter is form an even bigger zerg ball, or as some people suggested on these forums... lol... "Move out of the way."

Great counter to zerg balls. Especially when they are trying to take a keep, you just avoid them and let them take the keep. :blush:

you dont need a bigger one, more dks spamming fragmented shield is enough.
    spelling and grammar errors are free to be abused

Sallington wrote: »
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

• frosth.darkomenb16_ESO
    frosth.darkomenb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

you dont need a bigger one, more dks spamming fragmented shield is enough.

Both would work.
    Either you get more people or you use better abilities than impulse.
    Either ways, you need to stack up yourself to fight a ball.
  • synnerman
    synnerman
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, all stack up against the impulse zerg and lag the server and crash it again. 13 people pvp in our guild and at least 5-6 said last night if this isn't addressed quickly then they are gone and who can blame them,there are big MMOs coming out and a new expansion on "old faithful" so perhaps when that happens time to move on.

I have said on multiple threads that we were told 1 month ago by Brian Wheeler that this was being discussed by the combat team, since then ...nothing. I get the feeling that we have actually been lied to in the similar way that patch notes are released and fixes seem to not work . I am actually thinking that those fixes didn't actually exist in the first place.

The Eu server 30 day campaign once again crashed and rolled back last night and scrolls reset, this after 15 mins of lag and 20 second abililty delay and running around enemies stuck in invasion. All this due to 1 blue impulse blob and 1 yellow impulse blob coming together at a red keep.

In the end I and several of out guild after moving all over the map and experiencing the same blob crap just logged off.
    I ask again of Brian Wheeler or a Combat team dev (if one exists) Can you update us on this situation .
  • p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want to break the enemy zerg, use Turn Undead. Every single Vampire entering the AoE will run in fear. Pick them up one by one and slaughter them.

There are so many Vampire players out there, that more than half the zergball is breaking apart with that spell. Shame not many people are using it for greater effect.

• david.haypreub18_ESO
    david.haypreub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But don't you have to get within 5 meters to cast Turn Undead? By that point, you're in Impulse range, and likely dead, no?
    Templars are 'just slower... by design'
    Yes, Gina actually said that (at least regarding Rushed Ceremony) right here:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/161959/templar-skills-bugged-made-useless-ignored/p24
    VR 16 Templar (retired until Templars get fixed)
    VR 16 Sorcerer
    38 Nightblade
    24 DK
  • frosth.darkomenb16_ESO
    frosth.darkomenb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    But don't you have to get within 5 meters to cast Turn Undead? By that point, you're in Impulse range, and likely dead, no?

Take this wit ha grain of salt, I have started using turn undead only recently and may not have the experience to use it properly:

In my experience, yes, you die quickly if you try to get in range on purpose, especially if you aren't yourself in a stacking ball.

Turn Undead is a fear effect, and I believe it is considered as a hard CC.
    It can get CC broken and the following CC immunity will counter it.
    It also triggers the fear effect only on cast, so only those within the area at that time get the damage and are affected.

It can be useful in small scale though, or in order to stay standing against a vamp doing his ultimate, but any player worth their salt will be able to counter it easily.
  • Varicite
    Varicite
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Negate Magic.
  • demonlkojipub19_ESO
    demonlkojipub19_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varicite wrote: »

Negate Magic.

Zerg balls use negate magic too.
  • Varicite
    Varicite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varicite wrote: »

Negate Magic.

Zerg balls use negate magic too.

And there's a reason why they do...