The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Blazing Shield Abuse

Grimbim
Grimbim
✭✭
At the moment, the bug abuse with blazing shield doing about 3k damage is common practice in pvp.
Regardless which class you play (except templar), to counter a templar using this bug is nearly impossible. You can't do enough damage to kill them because of their healing abilities and their shield which they keep up until they are nearby and then they sweep you away with about 3k aoe damage.
It's essential for pvp that this bug is fixed as soon as possible. The regular aoe damage of this ability is strong enough.
And since the magicka regeneration penalty has been removed, maybe a cost increase for recurrent cast like with bolt escape should prevent perpetual spam.
  • Pmarsico9
    Pmarsico9
    ✭✭✭✭
    Grimbim wrote: »
    maybe a cost increase for recurrent cast like with bolt escape should prevent perpetual spam.

And yet again, ruin Templar tanking.

How about they fix the bug that allows the ability's damage collection to stack endlessly then release 3,000 Damage?

Do you honestly think that it's supposed to hit that hard? That it's not a bug?

• Grimbim
    Grimbim
    ✭✭
    Pmarsico9 wrote: »
    I think i made clear, that it is a bug with the 3k damage and that they should fix it asap.
  • Pmarsico9
    Pmarsico9
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think i made clear, that it is a bug with the 3k damage and that they should fix it asap.

Suggesting that the ability get Magicka penalties attached to it is not asking for a bug fix. It's asking for an ability to be broken.
  • Grimbim
    Grimbim
    ✭✭
    For sure the most important thing is to fix the 3k damage bug.

But nevertheless even if they fix it, blazing shield will be a very strong ability in pvp. With the increased regeneration softcap and cost reduction you will easily be able to keep up blazing shield continuously. In that time you absorb any incoming damage and deal aoe. the radius of the explosion is small but a good player knows how to close the gap in time.
    Tanking shouldn't mean keeping bubbles up with one button. Have you lately encountered a templar in pvp? At the moment templar is best at healing and a better tank than a dragonknight.
  • Beldorr
    Beldorr
    ✭✭✭
    [..] to counter a templar using this bug is nearly impossible. [..]

I play mostly bows in pvp, magnum shot is a stun and knock back. I have no issues with these spammers. I bounce them away from friendlies and stay away from them myself. This prevents them from being able to spam the shield stacking it. They will run out of magicka and be doing 0 damage.

There are counters, but if everyone plays the same caster spec, no one in your group can counter it.

• Grimbim
    Grimbim
    ✭✭
    I play mostly bows in pvp, magnum shot is a stun and knock back. I have no issues with these spammers. I bounce them away from friendlies and stay away from them myself. This prevents them from being able to spam the shield stacking it. They will run out of magicka and be doing 0 damage.

There are counters, but if everyone plays the same caster spec, no one in your group can counter it.
    Yeah i also use knockbacks and stuns, but many of them use immovable, so that's not really working as a counter in most cases. But you are right, fighting from distance is the only thing that makes sense.
    Edited by Grimbim on August 30, 2014 7:09AM
  • Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah i also use knockbacks and stuns, but many of them use immovable, so that's not really as a counter in most cases. But you are right, fighting from distance is the only thing that makes sense.

currently its the opposite, as the high dmg bug to be abused needs an opponent attacking you from outside of the blastradius whil none is inside of it.
    spelling and grammar errors are free to be abused

Sallington wrote: »
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

• Grimbim
    Grimbim
    ✭✭

currently its the opposite, as the high dmg bug to be abused needs an opponent attacking you from outside of the blastradius whil none is inside of it.
    Thank you, i didn't know that. So how does it exactly work? Does the damage of the blast only stack with recast if the attacker which deals the damage is outside of the radius all the time or does the damage also stack if the shield is not casted continuosly, but the attacker is outside if it explodes?
    I aks, because i'm pretty sure in some 1v1 encounters i managed to burn through the shield, then they used their bubble again and when they got nearby, i got killed with 3k damage.
  • Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you, i didn't know that. So how does it exactly work?
    from this thread:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/comment/1235689
    quote my self for clarification on this issue:
    blazing shield is affected by two bugs. one is a specific one only regarding blazing shield the other one is a bug connected to every AOE attack.
    both are quite obvious in this video (cudos to its creator)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjI35iMbXfE

first one regarding BS itself is its stackability when beeing depleted and refreshed while no enemy is in its effectivity range.
    the second one that happens to all aoe abilities is the dmg stacking of the dmg in one target instead of delivering it to multiple targets, in this vid while one mob recieves 9k dmg the other one recives 0. (regarding the number of usages of BS around 4,8k per mob would have been normal so instead of dmging both mobs for around 4,8k it stacks the dmg in one target for 9k+)
    Does the damage of the blast only stack with recast if the attacker which deals the damage is outside of the radius all the time or does the damage also stack if the shield is not casted continuosly, but the attacker is outside if it explodes?
    I aks, because i'm pretty sure in some 1v1 encounters i managed to burn through the shield, then they used their bubble again and when they got nearby, i got killed with 3k damage.

the dmg is only stacked if no one is in range when beeing refreshed (if no dmg is dealt nothing is stacked btw), if it is not refreshed before it ends no dmg is transitioned to the next shield. [even though under some circumstances second bug from my selfquote can happen anytime]
    guess your observation is a point of latancy, he refreshed his shield on his side while you depleteted his shield with your attack while the server was communicating each others action to the other one.
    Edited by Tankqull on August 30, 2014 12:21PM

Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

• olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blazing shield is ridiculous. Ive been hit for 5k damage several times by it, theres no counter except running away. While we are talking about ridiculous templar abilities, Biting Jabs. Currently if youre unlucky and the templar is lucky, he can keep you permastunned with the biting jabs spam taking you from full hp to dead, its stupid.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • tplink3r1
    tplink3r1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    olsborg wrote: »
    Blazing shield is ridiculous. Ive been hit for 5k damage several times by it, theres no counter except running away. While we are talking about ridiculous templar abilities, Biting Jabs. Currently if youre unlucky and the templar is lucky, he can keep you permastunned with the biting jabs spam taking you from full hp to dead, its stupid.
    you can break free and block.
    Edited by tplink3r1 on August 31, 2014 1:51AM
    VR16 Templar
    VR3 Sorcerer
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tplink3r1 wrote: »

nope, if youre already stunned once, you cant do anything for the next 10+ spams. It doesnt even offer cc immunity after the stun.
    Edited by olsborg on August 31, 2014 10:35AM

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BJ is only a problem when you run out of endu - but then every cc type is awefull.

• tplink3r1
    tplink3r1
    ✭✭✭✭✭

nope, if youre already stunned once, you cant do anything for the next 10+ spams. It doesnt even offer cc immunity after the stun.
    yes, you can break out of it.
    VR16 Templar
    VR3 Sorcerer
  • s.fulton426eb17_ESO
    The use of bugged abilities that do that much damage should earn the player a kick from the campaign.
    That's how Battlefield 3 handled such abuse.
    I remember a bug that if you used an underslung shotgun on the G3A3 rifle the shotgun pellets were replaced by rifle bullets- killing anyone in front of the player.
    - Servers were quick to respond by kicking or banning anyone using the bug until a patch fix could be implemented.
  • JamilaRaj
    JamilaRaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For sure the most important thing is to fix the 3k damage bug.

But nevertheless even if they fix it, blazing shield will be a very strong ability in pvp. With the increased regeneration softcap and cost reduction you will easily be able to keep up blazing shield continuously. In that time you absorb any incoming damage and deal aoe. the radius of the explosion is small but a good player knows how to close the gap in time.
    Tanking shouldn't mean keeping bubbles up with one button. Have you lately encountered a templar in pvp? At the moment templar is best at healing and a better tank than a dragonknight.

Definitely handy ability, but...
    1) Defensive skill, no damage taken, none dealt. Basically only braindead NBs are in danger of being outright killed via BS.
    2) Closing the gaps implies use of charge. Magicka charge further strains magicka regen, reducing sustainability or damage. Stamina charge drains stamina, diminishing ability to roll from roots, CC break, use immovable or block, i.e. ability to keep opponents in AoE range.
    3) Talking about CC, BS does not hit when templar is knocked down.
    4) Generally, as damage from BS goes up, sustainability goes down. Also note animation takes some time, so even unstainable spam and therefore damage is hard-limited (and rather low).
  • Troponin
    Troponin
    ✭✭✭
    I have no idea how the hell this is being done. On my templar, I have yet to hit someone with 3k damage or one shot someone with my shield. I have spammed the crap out of my BS in the middle of a group before and STILL couldn't hit anyone with that big of a hit.

So before you all complain and ask for a nerf, maybe you should find the REAL problem with this skill. Templars are already in a bad position in PvE, and if blazing shield gets a nerf, I am going to extremely pissed because I was far from OP, even with spamming BS.
  • Grimbim
    Grimbim
    ✭✭
    Thank you very much for clearing that up.
    JamilaRaj wrote: »
    Definitely handy ability, but...
    1) Defensive skill, no damage taken, none dealt. Basically only braindead NBs are in danger of being outright killed via BS.
    2) Closing the gaps implies use of charge. Magicka charge further strains magicka regen, reducing sustainability or damage. Stamina charge drains stamina, diminishing ability to roll from roots, CC break, use immovable or block, i.e. ability to keep opponents in AoE range.
    3) Talking about CC, BS does not hit when templar is knocked down.
    4) Generally, as damage from BS goes up, sustainability goes down. Also note animation takes some time, so even unstainable spam and therefore damage is hard-limited (and rather low).

1) True, but the shield lasts 6 seconds if no damage is dealt. So if you decide not to attack you will just defend for 6 seconds, which means a lot of incoming damage you have to handle. And will you continue to defend if they recast the shield?
    2) Closing gaps wether with stamina or magicka abilities isn't really a problem. Especially with cost reduction from armor passives and sets. I use myself a magicka based build with expensive abilities and i almost never run out of magicka since 1.3.
    In case only sorcerers have the possibility to get away from them, and this has a cooldown with increased costs.
    3) Interesting, didn't know that. But many of them use it with immovable, and i would do that too, that way you dont't need to block, can use auto-attack and can't be interrupted or cc'd.
    4) True, but the problem is, right now, bs makes the templar superior to any other class when it comes to melee. And that shouldn't be the case. It was a good choice to remove the magicka regeneration stop, but i think they have to do some changes now to prevent spam.
  • Grimbim
    Grimbim
    ✭✭
    Troponin wrote: »
    I understand your point regarding pve and I don't want your class to be destroyed because of this. But I think this ability needs some adjustment at the moment. And in pvp, templar is a very capable class.
  • Troponin
    Troponin
    ✭✭✭
    I understand your point regarding pve and I don't want your class to be destroyed because of this. But I think this ability needs some adjustment at the moment. And in pvp, templar is a very capable class.

Blazing shield buff is what helped templars become a more capable PvP class. I am not experiencing any of these 3k damage hits, so I could care less if they figure it out and fix whatever is doing it. My concern is, if they nerf it and people like me, who aren't exploiting it, have to pull it off the bar because it's no longer worth a spot.
  • Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭

no adjustment but bugfixes are needed.

• Grimbim
    Grimbim
    ✭✭
    no adjustment but bugfixes are needed.
    Indeed, bugfixes are needed.
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You only get restunned, over and over and over and over again. It seems to me this is something that hasnt happened to you, so you wouldnt know. But for those that has had this happen to them will surely know.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You only get restunned, over and over and over and over again. It seems to me this is something that hasnt happened to you, so you wouldnt know. But for those that has had this happen to them will surely know.
    the stun ends slightly before it is reapplied, block the last hit of the jab and you are not stunned.

• p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As with everything else in this game, what many users call "bugs" are actually powerful synergies between abilities.

Harness Magicka + Blazing Shield is resulting to around 2000 Damage Shield.
    That will hit for ~1150 damage and crit for double that.

On top, each nearby target raises the Shield Strength by 4%.

However, Harness Magicka is working like that with every DS available. Including Barrier, Whitestrake one. etc.

Also the blazing shield is pretty obvious when on (the whole player is glowing), so run away from them is the best option.

As for Templar CC someone said above, at least it can be broken and get immunity from it. On the contrary with Talons, Petrify or Encase, there is no immunity when you break them with dodge. So they can be spammed over and over....
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Again, if the biting jabs thing hasnt happend to you, fine, but dont try to tell me it can be countered, because thats bs. Maybe you can and have countered it, but then I say again, the "stunlock mechanism" hasnt happend to you.
    Im in a dueling guild on EU and quite often the biting jabs stunlock is a hot topic on chat.
    Edited by olsborg on September 1, 2014 4:36PM

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Grimbim
    Grimbim
    ✭✭
    I know the effect of harness magicka and they didn't use it. Also the damage reduction from harness magicka works not against stamina based attacks. And as i said, i notized the 3k damage in 1v1 encounters, no one around for shield strength increase. Besides crit doesn't double the damage, it adds about 50%.
    Therefore I am pretty sure it is a bug, and tankqullb16_ESO explained how this works.
  • kelly.medleyb14_ESO
    kelly.medleyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As for Templar CC someone said above, at least it can be broken and get immunity from it. On the contrary with Talons, Petrify or Encase, there is no immunity when you break them with dodge. So they can be spammed over and over....

You forgot Streak which is the most abused.
  • Garion
    Garion
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Suggesting that the ability get Magicka penalties attached to it is not asking for a bug fix. It's asking for an ability to be broken.

You mean like streak / BoL / BE?

Glad another class agrees.
    Lastobeth - VR16 Sorc - PvP Rank 41 (AD)
    Lastoblyat - VR16 Templar - PvP Rank 14 (AD)
    Ninja Pete - VR16 NB - PvP Rank 10 (AD)
    Labo the Banana Slayer - VR14 Sorc - PvP Rank 12 (EP)

Member of Banana Squad | Officer of Arena
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You forgot Streak which is the most abused.

I fail to see how streak can be abused anymore then other abilities. If someone has enough mana and want to waste it all by spamming streak, then so be it. Its not like thats a smart thing to do anyway (unless you just wanna flee)

PC EU
    PvP only