Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Deer

Kat_Cnaa
Kat_Cnaa
✭✭
I have gone back with a low level character and even at level 5 the deer drop absolutely nothing. Is this intentional?

I cannot figure out where to get venison in the game, and it seems that materials for medium armor and some provisioning ingredients are only obtainable by characters within a narrow range of the animals that carry them. Whereas alchemy, light armor, blacksmithing, enchanting and woodworking materials are all gatherable by anyone with access to the region.

But by this logic, level 1 deer should drop something for a level 5 character. Yet, nothing.
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not sure if you're joking?

Provisioning materials come from barrels, chests, crates, wardrobes, night stands and grocers.

You can't hunt for anything, heck we can't even use fish from fishing. I have a recipe called fishy sticks, does it use fish, no it uses crab meat.

Animals will drop leather and possibly fish bait, that's all.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • katkat42
    katkat42
    ✭✭✭
    Provisioning materials come from barrels, chests, crates, wardrobes, night stands and grocers.

No-animals-were-harmed1.jpg
    You can't hunt for anything, heck we can't even use fish from fishing. I have a recipe called fishy sticks, does it use fish, no it uses crab meat.

And mudcrabs don't even drop crab meat!

Originally they were going to let you cook the fish you catch, but sadly they took that bit out before release. I hope they put it back at some point.
    Stonehenge ROCKS!
  • Pele
    Pele
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kat_Cnaa wrote: »
    I have gone back with a low level character and even at level 5 the deer drop absolutely nothing. Is this intentional?

I cannot figure out where to get venison in the game, and it seems that materials for medium armor and some provisioning ingredients are only obtainable by characters within a narrow range of the animals that carry them. Whereas alchemy, light armor, blacksmithing, enchanting and woodworking materials are all gatherable by anyone with access to the region.

But by this logic, level 1 deer should drop something for a level 5 character. Yet, nothing.
    There's a bug where the critters, deer included, will no longer drop anything, so you will not get venison from deer now. I've looted some from containers, but it's not common, and your character must be lower-leveled.

I am too lazy now to search for the official reply on the matter, but search may help.
  • MercutioElessar
    MercutioElessar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You can't hunt for anything,

Deer drop livers. I know it, I hunt them for those organs. They drop very rarely, but they drop.
    If I've ever offended you,
    just know that from the bottom of my heart,
    I really don't give a ***.

• seanolan
    seanolan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Deer did drop liver and venison and rawhide scraps, rarely. Not sure if there is a bug now, but they did drop at one time and there have been no patch notes suggesting they have removed this.
  • katkat42
    katkat42
    ✭✭✭
    seanolan wrote: »
    Deer did drop liver and venison and rawhide scraps, rarely. Not sure if there is a bug now, but they did drop at one time and there have been no patch notes suggesting they have removed this.

There is in fact a bug. Critters, meaning the creatures that are always level 1 no matter what zone you're in, now only drop stuff for level 3 characters. (This bug is well-known to fishing enthusiasts (yes, we do exist), who rely on critters to provide guts as lake-fish bait.) The bug was introduced in Patch 3, and hasn't been fixed yet in the version of Patch 4 that's up on PTS right now.
    Stonehenge ROCKS!
  • Circuitous
    Circuitous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most recent PTS patch has resolved this issue, look forward to Update 4.
    Thank Stendarr it’s Fredas.
    Elanirne: Altmer Templar Healer, DC
    Auria Dolabella: Imperial Nightblade Tank, DC
  • Curragraigue
    Curragraigue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kat_Cnaa wrote: »

It is strange how things drop. Venison is a Daggerfall zone 2 drop so if you search containers in Wayrest you should find venison.

I have had meat drop from animals. I had a bear haunch drop from a bear in Bangkori (5th zone DC), even though it is a zone 1 ingredient, just yesterday.

Medium armour mats should drop from animals if you are in the right zone for them and your clothier crafting skill is up to the point that you can use that material.
    PUG Life - the true test of your skill

18 characters, 17 max level, at least 1 Stam and 1 Mag of every class, 1 of every race and 1200+ CP

Tanked to Undaunted 9+ Mag and Stam of every class using Group Finder for 90+% of the Vet Dungeon runs
  • purple-magicb16_ESO
    purple-magicb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    True. I used to get venison from deer up until fairly recently. Now? Nothing. No hide scraps, leather, nothing. I don't think it has anything to do with levels or where you are hunting (altho I do think eso shd expand on the whole hunting thing). Its not nearly that complicated a problem. They're just not dropping mats.
    Edited by purple-magicb16_ESO on September 10, 2014 3:58PM
    Give 'er eh!
  • Nightreaver
    Nightreaver
    ✭✭✭✭
    Try level 4 character if possible. I was getting drops from level 4 but not level 5
    As others have mentioned
    Deer drop liver and venison
    Sheep drop Mutton and sweetmeats
    Bears drop Bear Haunch and probably something else.
    Level 1 creatures drop guts.

And as is also mentioned this seems to be working again on PTS which I THINK is due to go live next week.
    If they ever create a Legendary recipe it better contain bacon as one of the ingredients. I'm just sayin'.