Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Surprise Attack armor reduction math

Raiketsu
Raiketsu
Hi, I'm not here to complain, I'm here to see if I'm doing something wrong.

The ability "Surprise Attack" in the NB tree doesn't seem to be doing what I 'expect' it to do.

I chose Surprise attack over hidden blade because I use 2 daggers (so my pins might actually 'poke')

At rank 4 it reduces armor on the target by 40%.

Logically that tells me they should only be 60% resistant to physical blows I deal compared to what they were prior.

(I tested this on 40 mobs, 20 with and 20 without Surprise attack)

Using only light attacks for all the tests;

Without Surprise attack my average hit would be 76 (prettymuch flat)

With it, I'd hit for 80.

Difference of only 4 points...

Now as I understand it (And I'm not AMAZING at math so my math may be off but..)
76 * .4 = 30.4

Which means my attacks should be just a pinch above 100 (non crits)

Is there something I'm missing? Am I doign the math wrong and being too 'straightforward' with my calcs or is the ability really not doing as intended?
Edited by Raiketsu on August 27, 2014 11:32PM
My Favorite Quotes;

One must understand the power they hold, before they may understand the true power within. ~Gilgamesh

Right and wrong are not what separate us and our enemies. It's our different standpoints, our perspectives that separate us. Both sides blame one another. There's no good or bad side. Just two sides holding different views. ~Squall Leonheart

People are capable of kindness beyond angels, yet we also commit sins that would put a Demon to shame... ~FFXI, Roagrimm

The circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.
  • forthewinn2
    forthewinn2
    ✭✭✭
    You can't reduce armor that doesn't exist.
    Mobs have 10% mitigation worth of armor, meaning they normally take 90% damage from your physical attacks.
    If you use surprise attack That armor is reduced by 40% meaning the mob now takes 94-95% damage from your physical attacks.
    Even if you reduce someone's armor by 100% they will still only take tooltip damage from your attacks(except for crits).
  • Raiketsu
    Raiketsu
    So then essentially this skill is only useful in pvp? just to clarify
    My Favorite Quotes;

One must understand the power they hold, before they may understand the true power within. ~Gilgamesh

Right and wrong are not what separate us and our enemies. It's our different standpoints, our perspectives that separate us. Both sides blame one another. There's no good or bad side. Just two sides holding different views. ~Squall Leonheart

People are capable of kindness beyond angels, yet we also commit sins that would put a Demon to shame... ~FFXI, Roagrimm

The circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.
  • glitchmaster999
    glitchmaster999
    ✭✭✭✭
    No it is useful in PVE as well as it gives you around a 6% dps increase agains some mobs, reapers mark goves you around 20%
  • khele23eb17_ESO
    khele23eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It hurts your mitigation much more than it hurts mob mitigation.
    P2P offered you 'hell yeah!' moments. F2P offers you 'thank god its over' moments.
  • forthewinn2
    forthewinn2
    ✭✭✭
    Raiketsu wrote: »
    So then essentially this skill is only useful in pvp? just to clarify
    It's best in pvp especially against anyone in heavy armor, there are better sources of armor reduction in pve.
  • Piedplat
    Piedplat
    ✭✭
    To much shield and absorb, so healing staff and one and shield, I woundering why so much weapon type in this game.

Serious I see no different in pvp, to much clothies.

armata.ca
    GuildeQc PvP