The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Leveling Provisioning on a vr12 character...

Dudis
Dudis
✭✭✭
Is there a trick to getting the right mats? When I tried on my vr12, all i got was rank 6 items, so I rolled a /level 3 alt to get the materials I needed for 20 provisioning.

Problem now is that I don't have access to farming the next tier materials since everything I get is either rank 1 or 6 it seems.
Do I have to level an alt to farm the proper tier materials or is there a better way?

Edit: And are Tomatoes really THAT rare..?
Edited by Dudis on August 22, 2014 11:14PM
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Travel to Player" is your friend. Find a guild member that is in the next zone for the mats you need and get your level 3 alt into that zone using "travel to player".

I can't speak for the other factions, but for AD all you need is to travel to Eldenroot in Grahtwood to get tier 2 mats. The mages guild and fighters guild rooms inside the tree are littered with those mats.

I leveled 4 alts from 0 to 50 in provisioning doing just that. Once you hit provisioning 20, invest in a skill point to unlock tier 2 for recipes, gather the mats and you'll be at 50 in no time.
    Make sure you have recipes for 186 for cooking and 7 for brewing. Those give the most inspiration for tier 2.

:)
    Edited by SirAndy on August 22, 2014 11:38PM
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, and yes, tomatoes and oats are THAT rare!

They *only* come through hirelings once you have 2/3 in the provisioning hireling and even then they're rare.
    ;-)
    Edited by SirAndy on August 22, 2014 11:40PM
  • Tarukmockto
    Tarukmockto
    ✭✭✭
    Dudis wrote: »
    Do I have to level an alt to farm the proper tier materials or is there a better way?

Leveling an alt is one way to gather the low level mats you missed on the way up. Or as SirAndy said, you can gather in higher zones with a little help from friends.

The hardest push is between Provisioning 10 and 20. (Unless you happen to find one of the rare 10-15 recipes.) Once past 20 its a breeze to 50.

You can also find lots of lower level mats at the Guild Kiosks without spending a fortune.
    NA - DC - DK - PC
  • Dudis
    Dudis
    ✭✭✭
    Appreciate the quick and detailed answers. Ty!

I assume I just buy the recepies then?
    Edited by Dudis on August 23, 2014 12:13AM
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dudis wrote: »
    I assume I just buy the recepies then?
    Yes, but low level recipes are somewhat hard to come by since most guild stores only sell the expensive stuff.

We do have a lot of low level ones in my main guild store but our trader has been bugged since Monday and nobody can buy from us until ZOS fixes the traders ...
    :(
    Edited by SirAndy on August 23, 2014 2:19AM
  • DenverRalphy
    DenverRalphy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't need a low level alt to farm the mats. I recently levelled up provisioning on a VR toon.

The trick, is you can't rely on trunks/cabinets/dressers etc.. because those will most likely give you mats for your actual character level. What you need to do is focus on barrels/crates/sacks in level appropriate zones. So while you have less containers to loot from to find what you need, you can also just breeze through each city, town, camp, etc.. because you really don't need to worry much about aggro.

Edited by DenverRalphy on August 23, 2014 3:19PM
  • KenCleanAirSystem
    KenCleanAirSystem
    ✭✭✭
    Assuming you have been learning the recipes you have found as you played through with your veteran level character, provisioning is dead simple to level ... and even if you haven't you can purchase the recipes you need from a guild vendor anyway. I leveled my VR3 character from Provisioning rank 8 up to 50 in about 2 hours.

All you need to do is pick a recipe from each level, buy stacks of the ingredients from guild vendors and NPC grocers and crank out food or drinks until you hit the next recipe tier. Once you hit the next tier, put a skill point in recipe improvement and then rinse and repeat with a recipe from the next tier up. Rinse and repeat until you hit level 50, then you can start worrying about putting skill points into recipe quality, and the other passives from the provisioning line.

And yes, tomatoes and oats are that rare. Same with, to a lesser extent, piquant jazbay grapes and some of the other purple level recipe ingredients.
  • Mountain_Dewed
    Mountain_Dewed
    ✭✭✭
    Now with the kiosks, recipes and ingredients are so easily available, anyone could level provisioning in a few hours with the know how...
  • SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    I leveled 6 alts over the weekend and sold a Level 1-50 Provisioning Kit for 10K using the math I got from my Alts. Luckily I have maintained several low-level crafting Alts.

Also my most lucrative harvest locations are the docks and ships. In some areas I could gather all required mats in about 3~4 runs of the dock and attached ships. There is also a very distinct line it seems between mat leveled zones. Sometimes the break for one level is the most northern area of a zone versus the first area of the next zone.

If anyone needs the math here it is:

KEY:
    Recipe Level/Recipe Quality-Recipe Improvement/IP per food or drink/Number to make

Add one skill point in Recipe Improvement after each 10 skill levels gained.

PROVISIONING.....L2>L20..........427,785 IP Total

L1 Recipe..........1-1..........600 IP..........713
    L5 Recipe..........1-1............3K IP..........143
    L10 Recipe........1-1............6K IP............72
    L15 Recipe........1-1............9K IP............48

PROVISIONING.....L21>L30.........575270 IP Total

L20 Recipe........1-2...........12K IP...........48
    L25 Recipe........1-2...........15K IP...........39

PROVISIONING.....L31>L40..........959,080 IP Total

L30 Recipe........1-3...........18K IP...........54
    L35 Recipe........1-3...........21K IP...........46

PROVISIONING.....L41>L48...........1,293,680 IP Total

L40 Recipe........1-4............24K IP...........54
    L45 Recipe........1-4............27K IP...........48

PROVISIONING......L49>L50...........412,080 IP Total

L45 Recipe........1-4............27K IP...........16

Notice that you can't make a L50 recipe until you are already L50 in provisioning so don't waste time buying them until you reach L50. Also I didn't get any more IP from BLUE recipes of the same level. It appears only the base level counts for IP. And of course you only need points in Recipe Improvement to level, none are needed in Quality until you need to make Blue and Purple recipes for use or sale.

Yes the key is finding those L15 recipes.
    And also with the Multicraft Addon that has a quantity slider it will only take 4 mouse clicks with the right recipes.

Hope any of this helps. I should probably post in the Player Guides as well.

Edited by SpAEkus on August 25, 2014 9:18PM
  • Tarukmockto
    Tarukmockto
    ✭✭✭
    @SpAEkus: I also spent the weekend leveling Provisioning on alts. I ran 4 alts up to lvl38 so I could get to 2/3 hirelings.

That's some great information that I could have used a few days earlier. LOL.
    Thanks for the data.
    Edited by Tarukmockto on August 25, 2014 11:09PM
    NA - DC - DK - PC
  • SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry I missed you. After doing mine I had enough leftovers to build a kit and sold it. I was trying for another kit but I couldn't find any of the L15 recipes anywhere.

And I just couldn't bear opening any more barrels or sacks Sunday night.
  • HeroOfEvbof
    HeroOfEvbof
    ✭✭✭
    If at all possible, get your hands on some lvl 10 recipes. This isnt easy but it is worth a try. The next lvl is level 25 recipes.
    My first hireling mule I also gave it a couple level 35 recipes because I was being very, very careful with my second tier flour/oil/mash.
    My third hireling mule used only three level 15 recipes. I cooked close to 500 plump worm meals and got to rank 38. I did this not as a practical method, but more of a RP thing. It was on my third hireling mule and I needed a challenge of some sort.
    apud me omnia fiunt Mathematicè in Natura - Rene Descartes