Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Nord Shield, increase its size please

Bipolo
Bipolo
✭✭✭
After a few months now i think its time to bring this up again. The shields current size is to small and puny... I want what i see in this concept art, enough said.

chPz1ew.jpg
Skeggǫld, Skálmǫld, Skildir ro Klofnir
"Nords who prove themselves in battle awaken in the realm after death. Pain and illness vanish within the Hall of Valor.
Revelry is never-ending, mead flows freely, and the greatest Nords of all time compete in tests of strength and prowess. (...)
Through all the suffering and adversity in this world, true Nord warriors endure, for Sovngarde awaits."

- The Road to Sovngarde
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The wood crafting line is small. They have staffs over three lines, why not do the same with shields.

Small, Medium, Large would work
    Or (Sctum, Buckler, Kite, Heater, Parma)
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nordic styles are based on depictions of Vikings (which is they have horned helmets), and Vikings typically used smaller shields (bucklers).

The logic is it gives similar level of protection, but is much lighter, which is vital when you're the attacking force. Only people defending towns gain any advantage from a larger shield.

Nords are based on this, and thus use smaller shields.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Bleakraven
    Bleakraven
    ✭✭✭✭
    Natjur wrote: »
    The wood crafting line is small. They have staffs over three lines, why not do the same with shields.

I agree. So far it's the most boring. Especially since all four staff types look exactly the same, no matter the type. Wish I could at least craft some visual differences other than styles and level, such as tower shields.
  • pilotfish
    pilotfish
    ✭✭✭
    How about please don't change the Nord shield? It is the only small round one we have. I prefer it over all others. Breton does not count since it evolves into a large kite shield in the end.
    Edited by pilotfish on August 25, 2014 11:56AM
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another vote for "please don't change Nord shields." ESO already has many big shields, I like having a buckler option too.
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bleakraven wrote: »
    Natjur wrote: »

I agree. So far it's the most boring. Especially since all four staff types look exactly the same, no matter the type. Wish I could at least craft some visual differences other than styles and level, such as tower shields.

Tower shields, how would we be carrying them?, they're huge.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for more options, but can you imagine the complaints if people saw you running around with a tower shield on your back.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Bipolo
    Bipolo
    ✭✭✭
    Nordic styles are based on depictions of Vikings (which is they have horned helmets), and Vikings typically used smaller shields (bucklers).

The logic is it gives similar level of protection, but is much lighter, which is vital when you're the attacking force. Only people defending towns gain any advantage from a larger shield.

If the Nords are based on Vikings they would allow more customization, cause that group of warriors you just mentioned loved to personalize their gear if they had the chance ;)

"Round shields seem to have varied in size from around 45 – 120 cm (18" - 48") in diameter but the smaller and more manageable 75 – 90 cm (30" - 36") is by far the most common."
    - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking_Age_arms_and_armour

When looking at the shield from the opponents side, one would notice the size, as the shield would normally cover the bearer's whole upper body from head to legs. The flexibility of the bearer would also be noticed, along with the unpleasant surprise of easily hiding intentions in combat, as the shield could be maneuvered much more freely than had it been fixed to the forearm, as is the norm with larger shields.

2390113-viking_soldiers.jpg

btw,
    "The popular image of the strapping Viking in a horned helmet dates back to the 1800s, when Scandinavian artists like Sweden’s Gustav Malmström included the headgear in their portrayals of the raiders. When Wagner staged his “Der Ring des Nibelungen” opera cycle in the 1870s, costume designer Carl Emil Doepler created horned helmets for the Viking characters, and an enduring stereotype was born."
    Edited by Bipolo on August 25, 2014 6:16PM
    Skeggǫld, Skálmǫld, Skildir ro Klofnir
    "Nords who prove themselves in battle awaken in the realm after death. Pain and illness vanish within the Hall of Valor.
    Revelry is never-ending, mead flows freely, and the greatest Nords of all time compete in tests of strength and prowess. (...)
    Through all the suffering and adversity in this world, true Nord warriors endure, for Sovngarde awaits."

- The Road to Sovngarde
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bipolo wrote: »

If the Nords are based on Vikings they would allow more customization, cause that group of warriors you just mentioned loved to personalize their gear if they had the chance ;)

"Round shields seem to have varied in size from around 45 – 120 cm (18" - 48") in diameter but the smaller and more manageable 75 – 90 cm (30" - 36") is by far the most common."
    - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking_Age_arms_and_armour

When looking at the shield from the opponents side, one would notice the size, as the shield would normally cover the bearer's whole upper body from head to legs. The flexibility of the bearer would also be noticed, along with the unpleasant surprise of easily hiding intentions in combat, as the shield could be maneuvered much more freely than had it been fixed to the forearm, as is the norm with larger shields.

2390113-viking_soldiers.jpg

btw,
    "The popular image of the strapping Viking in a horned helmet dates back to the 1800s, when Scandinavian artists like Sweden’s Gustav Malmström included the headgear in their portrayals of the raiders. When Wagner staged his “Der Ring des Nibelungen” opera cycle in the 1870s, costume designer Carl Emil Doepler created horned helmets for the Viking characters, and an enduring stereotype was born."

Yes customisation would help, maybe they can eventually allow us to be able to paint designs on our gear with our dyes, including our shields.

They would have to be from a series of pre-set designs, maybe different for the racial style and level of the armour, and we choose which ones and what colours. So we could have a serpent pattern on a Nordic shield.

I may suggest this soon, once I get a rough idea of how they could do it.
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • ThyIronFist
    ThyIronFist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES!

BIGGER BEARDS AND BIGGER SHIELDS!

#nordsunite
    #nordmasterrace
    The Elder Zergs Online
    Sainur Ironfist - DK - EU - Ebonheart Pact
    Retired
  • Orchish
    Orchish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish both my Orc and his shield were the size of the Orc in this picture.

eso2014-08-2716-17-03-63_zps2e51129e.jpg
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like the Nord shields better than any other in the game, please dont change them...

There are plenty of larger shields in the game, but the nord one is nice for players like me who want a smaller buckler type shield.