The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How to add a trait, or change a trait to an existing item?

RSram
RSram
✭✭✭✭✭
I know how to add a trait to an item that I create, but how do you add or change a trait to an existing item?

For example, I have this armor that I looted that gives me awesome magic recovery, but it has no trait assigned to it, so I want to assign a mundus stone trait to it. Can this be done?

Or, another example: I have armor that has a infuse trait, but I want to change it to the mundus stone trait. Can this be done?

• KenCleanAirSystem
    KenCleanAirSystem
    ✭✭✭
    Not possible. You can improve the item if you have the materials, but the trait can't be changed.
  • Black_Wolf88
    Black_Wolf88
    ✭✭✭
    only way to change trait is to craft a new item with the same set bonus and a new trait on the item(s).
    if its not a crafted set, then its impossible to change trait on the items.
    "The key to immportality is first living a life worth remembering." -Bruce Lee
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Traits are a reflection of how the item is crafted, a sharpened sword is crafted to be sharp all the time, to add this trait the item would need to be reforged. So this is highly unlikely to happen.

PS this is an ingame explanation not a mechanics explanation.
    Edited by AlexDougherty on August 24, 2014 2:25PM
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • RSram
    RSram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks again for the explanations.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is also an benefit with crafted gear over loot sets who tend to have better set bonuses but you have that you find except of enchant.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Nic727
    Nic727
    ✭✭✭✭
    That could be nice in the futur to add trait to an existing object. For example, I don't have all trait material and I didn't research everything yet, but if my armor is really good and just want to add a trait, I don't want to find material to make a new object. It seem a bit messy, but hope you understand.