Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Restoration Staff is the best all-round weapon?

jesterstear
jesterstear
✭✭✭
I'm having a hard time making a case for using anything else to be honest. Perhaps if you want to take the DPS or Tank slot in a group dungeon... then again, if every dps was using a Resto staff, the group would be pretty hard to take down.

Solo, I just can't see what beats it.

It does more damage than any 1 handed melee weapon. You can hit people from range. You can heal yourself with it. You can restore power (and a little bit of health) with heavy attack. This should be really good for the enforced solo boss fights you find yourself facing, with all that sustain/regen ability.

Just use your class skills to DPS with, maybe pick one stamina based skill as well so as not to waste that resource.
  • Brasseurfb16_ESO
    Brasseurfb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    While it looks good on paper,

Resto staff Dps works only at lower levels, but when you start getting into the VR levels your class abilities become weaker and weaker because they do not scale at all with your weapon dmg attribute and you barely get any extra spellpower to suplement the damage from those abilities with gear making them clearly inferior to the destruction staff and alternative options wich scales with weapon power.
  • jesterstear
    jesterstear
    ✭✭✭
    But, all I hear from VR players is how Stamina based weapon damage is a poor compared to staves. So it's Destro staff or the Highway then?

Your point about avoiding class DPS skills in VR is good though. Do fighter/mage guild skills scale?

What if you kept resto staff but just used CC skills, say a sorcerer using the Resto staff HOT, three dark magic CC skills and something from fighter's guild as a Stamina dump, just tickle stuff to death with light/heavy attacks?

Edited by jesterstear on May 30, 2014 10:27AM
  • Comaetilico
    Comaetilico
    ✭✭✭

Resto staff Dps works only at lower levels, but when you start getting into the VR levels your class abilities become weaker and weaker because they do not scale at all with your weapon dmg attribute and you barely get any extra spellpower to suplement the damage from those abilities with gear making them clearly inferior to the destruction staff and alternative options wich scales with weapon power.

actualy is quite the opposite ^^'

you can get plenty of spellpower from jewels enchant (at vr 12 I'm sitting at 130 spell power and not even using gold enchant)... and spell power scale much better than weapon damage (actualy it should be around twice as better ^^' while the encahnt for both weapon and spell power give the same value... so a spellpower enchant is actualy twice as good as weapon damage enchant ^^ and the basic value of spell power is 80 at lvl 50 and above... that is almost the same as wielding a 160 base weapon damage weapon... plenty good I'd like to say ^^)

resto staff is also a really good weapon for those that use class based skill since it have a pasive that add % of damage based on your actual healt... with a total of 10% at full health... that is teh reason many uses it for tehir single target dps bar ^^

Destro staff is plenty good... for AoE... but aside for crashing force it doesn't have any other strong single target ability... and the real strenght of crushing force is in its economic cost rahter than damage so if you have other way to regolate your magika consumption/recovery you can go with class skill for single target without problem... and in that cirumstance resto staff bring in the additional 10% damage that can make the cut... also resto staff light attack are almost on teh same line of destro staff light attack... it loos in damage only when you compare heavy attack... but that is because resto heavy attack also recover 10% max magika ^^'

PS: there is also a few people that use resto staff for AoE dps too... that is for those classes that have some actual good AoE from their clas skill... DK in primis and sorc following up... for templars and NB I strongly suggest using destro since there is nothing in their class skill list that can compare with impulse when it comes down to sustained AoE dps
  • chaosme
    chaosme
    ✭✭✭
    Solar barrage works out to be about the same damage as impulse with the same cost. In fact, if you are using solar barrage with the resto staff, then the damage is higher. But no magicka return on kills so less efficient when running from mob pack to mob pack or when grinding.
  • jesterstear
    jesterstear
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, I am not fussed about kill speed, so much as utter solidity, taking down packs of 3 normals with maximum possible comfort and griefing the hell out of solo instance elites. Eat my regen punk, is that the best you can do, etc.
  • Moonchilde
    Moonchilde
    ✭✭✭
    hangs head in sadness.

This is only slightly less comical than it is depressing - a healing staff outperforming all other weapons.

I will never do it. I would rather be locked in a standstill in whatever zone I play in, than stoop to a light armor resto staff build. F that.
  • Comaetilico
    Comaetilico
    ✭✭✭
    chaosme wrote: »
    Solar barrage works out to be about the same damage as impulse with the same cost. In fact, if you are using solar barrage with the resto staff, then the damage is higher. But no magicka return on kills so less efficient when running from mob pack to mob pack or when grinding.

same damage of the base damage... than you have to either add the dot or the health debuff... and if you'r using a flame staff the proc (at 55% proc chance) of burning...

^^
    Moonchilde wrote: »
    hangs head in sadness.

This is only slightly less comical than it is depressing - a healing staff outperforming all other weapons.

I will never do it. I would rather be locked in a standstill in whatever zone I play in, than stoop to a light armor resto staff build. F that.

actualy the problem is that all weapon are subpar to class skill... due to that the resto staff being the only weapon that offer a damage bonus outside of its own skill line become one of the most favourite...

maybe for DK destro staff can still be good since it add some spell penetration for fire damage... but I'm not sure that it is enough to cover for that 10% increased damage ^^'

all other weapon only have passives that affect their own skill line... and as said those skill are 99% inferior to class skill

that is also the reason why stamina build are less favored that magika builds... magika builds can make use of class skill... while stamina build are restricted to almost only weapon abilities...

yes it is sad... and I really hope that they will do something about this... adding more stamina based lines... balancing the damage output of spellpower based skill against weapon based skill... and other little things that could make stamina char and various weapon more functional ^^
  • pecheckler
    pecheckler
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry dude but that's the opposite of the truth. It's sad too, because that makes sense, but in truth weapon damage is worse in every situation. Basically a restoration staff is always better than a bow for damage dealing.
    End the tedious inventory management game.
  • jesterstear
    jesterstear
    ✭✭✭
    I'm the OP. My Templar is actually a heavy armour tanking build, but I rolled an alt to go full cloth and resto staff from day one, see how she gets on. So far she does decently actually. Kite, DoT, HoT and heal.

I'm going to hog Health like crazy all the same. Healers get plenty agro in dungeons and since i'm in light armour and don't have a shield, I need something to protect me. Healers got to keep themselves alive first. One jewellery with regen is likely to cap magika regen, with passives, so the other two can go to cost reduction.

If I run out of mana I can just blame the people for not getting out of the red stuff.
  • Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My FULL HA Templar used to use just the Restro Staff so I could get it leveled up. Now that its at a level that I want I have been leveling 2 Hander and I find the play style to be amazing, but harder.

Using Melee I destroy mobs through good Block usage and Stunning. Funny thing is I have ZERO points towards Stamina for this and 90% of my damage comes from from Stamina abilities.

I plan on reallocation my character level points to all Stamina then gear will be speced for Health/Magick rings will be all Magicka+regen.
  • pecheckler
    pecheckler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    chaosme wrote: »

But solar barrage is "magic" damage while impulse is an elemental type, which yields many benefits including +crit from destruction passives, the many enemies weaker to fire damage, and other bonuses from elemental skill synergies.
    End the tedious inventory management game.
  • jesterstear
    jesterstear
    ✭✭✭
    I'm the OP. My Templar is actually a heavy armour tanking build, but I rolled an alt to go full cloth and resto staff from day one, see how she gets on. So far she does decently actually. Kite, DoT, HoT and heal.

I'm going to hog Health like crazy all the same. Healers get plenty agro in dungeons and since i'm in light armour and don't have a shield, I need something to protect me. Healers got to keep themselves alive first. One jewellery with regen is likely to cap magika regen, with passives, so the other two can go to cost reduction.

If I run out of mana I can just blame the people for not getting out of the red stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMILJEklu0I&feature=youtu.be

OK, got this alt to level 8, decided to test her out against the first tough solo boss, Norion. The problem is, he's either been gimped, got bugged, or Queen Ayrenn's grown a serious pair of .. ovaries? since I last did this. He kept wailing away on her after she went down on one knee and took no interest in me.

Maybe if she took over half his health away before dropping out , thanks to my healing, she had too much agro for me to pull him before he dies. But then, when my tank Templar gets knocked down like Ayrenn did, I instantly loose agro, so the scripting still seems messed up.
  • demonlkojipub19_ESO
    demonlkojipub19_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Resto staff heavy attack restores MP as well. They may look like they deal less damage, but their attacks deal the same amount as a Destruction staff, except resto staffs hit 3 smaller times while destro staves hit 1 big time. Resto staff heavy attacks start dealing their damage when you start holding the button, but the other staves you need to charge completely before it does any damage.

If you aren't planning on using any of destro staves skills with your staff dps build, Resto staff is actually better for you. The cycle of life trait increases the damage you deal by 2% for every 20% HP you have at 2 skills points, up to 10%, so those class skills or other damage skills will do more.
    Edited by demonlkojipub19_ESO on June 1, 2014 9:16PM
  • Jeremy_gelber_ESO
    Jeremy_gelber_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Resto staff heavy attacks start dealing their damage when you start holding the button, but the other staves you need to charge completely before it does any damage.

lightning staff doesnt charge ( no pun intended).
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All of this is rather silly, as they are bound to nerf the Resto 10% passive at some point. Nightblades and Templars should not have their optimal dps builds use a Resto staff.
  • jcfreakyob14_ESO
    Templars have no other alternative to regenerating Magicka outside of the Resto Staff or Equilibrium (<---no, not ever). The day ZOS removes the 10% Magicka gain from a Resto Staff Heavy Attack without giving Templars an alternative means for Magicka regeneration is the day not only I unsub, but the day you will be hard pressed to ever find a Templar at the ESO endgame.
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saiden wrote: »
    All of this is rather silly, as they are bound to nerf the Resto 10% passive at some point. Nightblades and Templars should not have their optimal dps builds use a Resto staff.

Their optimal dps coming from a resto staff just points out how much stamina and weapon abilities suck atm.
    Edited by Lynx7386 on June 5, 2014 2:37PM
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • audabon2013
    audabon2013
    ✭✭
    lol @brasseur said class skills don't scale into VR. that's rich.

how then to explain crystal frags/fury and funnel health/impale mage-types?

you better believe that my ghetto dawns wrath Templar wields a resto staff too. and not just cuz I main a healer. haha.
    Edited by audabon2013 on June 12, 2014 3:21PM
  • Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templars have no other alternative to regenerating Magicka outside of the Resto Staff or Equilibrium (<---no, not ever). The day ZOS removes the 10% Magicka gain from a Resto Staff Heavy Attack without giving Templars an alternative means for Magicka regeneration is the day not only I unsub, but the day you will be hard pressed to ever find a Templar at the ESO endgame.

What if removing resource management from classes is how they plan on balancing Magicka and Stamina?

Look at NightBlade their Resource Management will be nerfed to usedless in patch 1.2? DragonKnights never really had much of a Resource Management just one slightly better than Templars after nerf.

I hope if they do nerf Restro Staff they find a good exchange for the 10% Magicka gain for something Stamina users can use to put out slightly better healing.
  • Thechemicals
    Thechemicals
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Resto is hands down the best at almost any level and especially at endgame for pve. it has the most powerful healing skill with Force siphon and either morph is amazing but most use the magicka morph. It also has combat prayer which heals/improves spell and armor def/ and.....gives like 12% more damage from all attacks for 8 seconds. Regeneration is also amazing in combination with force siphon.Some players also go resto/destro and faceroll all trash mobs.

In PvP Resto falls apart...especially against burst damage because its heals are low and the whole tree is minor heals and regenerative heals. However, it is sustainable in full defensive heal builds but not dps stand alone.The best of players at least open with resto staff skills for healing and combat prayer then swap to dps.

One particular build in pvp that used to kill 5-10 players at a time was with use of resto/destro staff as a DragonKnight. The Knight would open with resto for heals and then swap to destro staff and impulse all players while sustaining himself with dragonblood and restos active regen heals+force siphon. He would dps with impulse and talons until his standard ultimate was ready then just ultimate+talon+impulse a large group to death. Although Dragonknight has been nerf, to include talons--- this build is still viable in pve and effective in pvp as well.

Resto is the best as an opener and support. As a main weapon, it is limited and gets boring using 1-2 dps skills and 4 heal preparation skills over and over.
    Vr14 Templar since release- dual resto
    Vr14 Dk bow/2h

Brayan Blackthunder
    Goddick
    Daggerfall Covenant

• Brasseurfb16_ESO
    Brasseurfb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    lol @brasseur said class skills don't scale into VR. that's rich.

how then to explain crystal frags/fury and funnel health/impale mage-types?

you better believe that my ghetto dawns wrath Templar wields a resto staff too. and not just cuz I main a healer. haha.

First I said Class abilities didn't scale with weapon power (wich is true by the way), unlike destruction staff and restoration staff abilities. So don't assume and make a mockery of things I haven't said in my post, because its rude.

Secondly to make class abilities scales to that lvl of dps you have to equip a full set of spellpower jewelry, wich can be an issue while you are still leveling in the VR content.

As a first character build, wich was my templar, it was very impractical to lvl with class abilities dealing dmg in VR content because your dmg "drops" in each subsequent area you get until you finaly reach VR cap and gear yourself with Purple Gear (or gold) and Spellpower jewelry enchants, that's where you get a huge DPS increase.

So yeah, it looks very good on paper and it has been confirmed to be a very effective way to DPS by other players bellow my post. But still, it is a pain in the a** to get to that point, especialy if its your first character and have none of your craft skills maxed out yet.

Edited by Brasseurfb16_ESO on June 12, 2014 10:50PM
  • Dudegr
    Dudegr
    Restoration staff got that nice passive that will give you a +10% damage on ALL your skills (at 100%hp) so that makes it perfect to use if you are not using weapon skills in your bars.For example DK can dps using only class/guild skills same goes for nightblade afaik, for those it should be a flat +10% dmg increase.
    So rule is pretty simple here, use resto staff when you use class/guild only skills, use destro staff if you use weapon skills.
    Edited by Dudegr on July 13, 2014 6:07AM
  • audabon2013
    audabon2013
    ✭✭
    You are correct dudegr.

Nice necro on this one too. Over 30 days, sweet.
  • Tamanous
    Tamanous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Resto staff is being exloited to hell simply from the +10% bonus damage to ALL your other attacks. Simply change this passive to an actual support passive (cause golly, it's a support weapon!!!) and this weapon will dropped hard by many min/max'rs.

ZOS messed up hard on this weapon's design and had better look at it fast. The benefit from taking this weapon is for it's healing and support options. It should NEVER EVER have been an offensive option choice which is exactly what it is for most min/max'rs. The passive (at BEST) should have been +10% bonus damage to light and heavy attacks which in turn increased the magica regen on heavy attack. It should be a filler passive to assist light/heavy damage for when a healer isn't healing and to help slightly solo'ing.

It is sickeningly moronic that it increases all your other damage by 10% from any skill line ... for a HEALING WEAPON?!?!

If (and I prefer "when") this passive gets nerfed there will be a FLOOD of people whining about how their offensive builds got nerfed. That alone will prove this passive was being abused. Taking a healing weapon because it increases your overall damage better than any other weapon in game is earth shatteringly silly. WAKE UP ZOS! This is one major component to why light armor + staff is ruling this game!
    Edited by Tamanous on August 2, 2014 9:50PM
  • Zsymon
    Zsymon
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you remove the 10% bonus damage, the restoration staff will become all but forgotten, and used only as an off-weapon by dungeon healers. The whole reason they gave restoration staff the bonus was that it would be a weapon that's not only useful for healing, but for other builds as well, which they succeeded in. Removing the bonus will only result in decreasing the available number of viable builds, which is not something any mmorpg should ever be doing.

Restoration staff is perfect the way it is now, it is on par with the other staves and it is used no more often. Not everyone is running around with a healing staff, and I think the balance of staves is perfect at the moment.

You should not blame the healing staff for an issue that has nothing to do with the healing staff, i.e. weak stamina weapon skills. The devs have already said that they will be significantly upgrading many stamina weapon skills such as Cleave and Uppercut, as well as several dual wielding and bow skills.

I am also quite sure that destruction staves do a lot more damage than healing staves with their light and heavy attacks. This was common knowledge in most discussions I've participated in, confirmed by my own experiences in the game, and I see no patch notes that might have changed this. It's funny how healing staves suddenly do more damage in a discussion about complaints on healing staves.
    Edited by Zsymon on August 5, 2014 6:26AM
  • Kego
    Kego
    ✭✭✭✭
    Resto Staff and destruction Staff deal as good as the same DMG via Light and Heavy Attacks. Destruction can charge it Heavy Attacks 10% faster, Restoration Staffs deal 10% more DMG with Light and Heavy Attacks.

But, any class that deals it's DMG through Class Skills and Guild Skills will always be dealing the most DMG with a Restoration Staff.

This passive must be changed. Give it a bonus that supports its major role of being a Healing/Support Weapon and no DMG Weapon.
    Edited by Kego on August 5, 2014 7:28AM
  • CapuchinSeven
    CapuchinSeven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zsymon wrote: »
    Removing the bonus will only result in decreasing the available number of viable builds, which is not something any mmorpg should ever be doing.

Nope. You're wrong. Because of that passive then there is only one choice in the game if you truly want to be at your best, using class skills and a resto staff. It hinders new builds.

At the very least other weapons need a passive that does the same thing, passively boost class damage, but even then what would be the point when you can deal the most damage AND heal with the resto staff.

That passive needs to be gone. If not, the only way to balance it would be to give every weapon the game a similar type of passive that boosts all damage and a single decent heal.
    Zsymon wrote: »
    The devs have already said that they will be significantly upgrading many stamina weapon skills such as Cleave and Uppercut, as well as several dual wielding and bow skills.

Citation required, they said they wouldn't be heavily buffing weapon skills.
  • khele23eb17_ESO
    khele23eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Citation required, they said they wouldn't be heavily buffing weapon skills.

This was said during the panel at QC. Dont think the word 'significantly' was used tho or 'bow' or 'dual wield' :P
    Edited by khele23eb17_ESO on August 9, 2014 7:24PM
    P2P offered you 'hell yeah!' moments. F2P offers you 'thank god its over' moments.