The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

DPS skills for Sorcerer with Resto Staff?

Nukeyak
Nukeyak
✭✭
I keep hearing that Resto staff is the only way to go for solo or single target DPS, no matter what class. Yet I still find using a destruction staff and using Crushing Shock to trigger Crystal Fragments is the best solo DPS build for me (a sorcerer).

I'm not an elite player so I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. Could somebody tell me what skills I should be using while using a resto staff for DPS? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out!
Edited by Nukeyak on July 25, 2014 11:29PM
  • Nukeyak
    Nukeyak
    ✭✭
    So 44 views and no one knows of a resto staff DPS build better than my destro staff build. That proves all this talk of resto staff being any good for DPS is just tomfoolery.
  • UPrime
    UPrime
    ✭✭✭✭
    Resto staff is good because it lets you gain magicka back. This I think is more important in long fights like dungeons bosses or maybe siege in pvp. But for regular trash fights? Not so much. I prefer having crushing shock or pulsar slotted to augment class abilities.

Edit: This is based on subjective experience. I haven't actually did a DPS comparison.
    Edited by UPrime on July 28, 2014 2:26PM
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    resto staff is good in combo with a desto staff, from what I see people posting. Usually it goes like this: 1st bar desto staff and skills, 2nd bar resto staff and skills. (wearing light armour of course). I'm a DK and use archer on my 1st bar and resto staff on my 2nd bar when doing archors or dungeons in a group. It seems to work well that way.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • okraus
    okraus
    ✭✭✭
    Easy one...

Clanfear Pet for Tanking.
    Crystal Fragment and Mages Fury for Damage
    Hot and Shield (i prefer hardened shield from summoning tree) for Healing / Def

I have this on my Solo PvE Rest hotbar.

I can solo nearly everything with that - against Groups i have to Switch do Destro AoE Build (normally my other Hotbar).

But the Crushing Shock Build for Solo PvE is also viable. Resto Version has more survivebility and lets you solo bosses.
  • Nukeyak
    Nukeyak
    ✭✭
    okraus wrote: »
    Easy one...

Clanfear Pet for Tanking.
    Crystal Fragment and Mages Fury for Damage
    Hot and Shield (i prefer hardened shield from summoning tree) for Healing / Def

I have this on my Solo PvE Rest hotbar.

I can solo nearly everything with that - against Groups i have to Switch do Destro AoE Build (normally my other Hotbar).

But the Crushing Shock Build for Solo PvE is also viable. Resto Version has more survivebility and lets you solo bosses.

Interesting. I used to solo with Clanfear and liked it a lot. Lately, however, I've gone with magelight, crystal frags, crushing shock, mages fury, something else (usually restraining prison or the the other dark magic skill which let's you cc one enemy for like, forever, and absorption field (I think that's the name of it, dark magic ultimate). Your build uses only crystal frags, mages fury and I gather regular old resto staff basic attacks. That doesn't sound like enough DPS, tho perhaps could eventually wear down a boss.
  • okraus
    okraus
    ✭✭✭
    I've gone with magelight, crystal frags, crushing shock, mages fury, something else (usually restraining prison or the the other dark magic skill which let's you cc one enemy for like, forever, and absorption field (I think that's the name of it, dark magic ultimate).
    As i said - this is a good build too and very viable. But you asked for a build for a sorcerer with Resto staff and i posted what i use for a very long time now.
    Just to mention: you can switch the shield for the daedric curse to pimp your dps but of course you give up survivability for it.
    With hot + hardened shield your pet can easily tank bosses in public dungeons or zone bosses.

I am not saying my way is the best or the only way to do it but i am doing quiet good with it for while now. To undermine my suggestion: with my Resto solo build + Destro AoE build i solo every public dungeon i came along by now - i am a VR7 sorcerer and currently doing the PvE-Content in Glenumbra (started in AD).
    Edited by okraus on July 29, 2014 11:17AM
  • Nukeyak
    Nukeyak
    ✭✭
    okraus wrote: »
    As i said - this is a good build too and very viable. But you asked for a build for a sorcerer with Resto staff and i posted what i use for a very long time now.
    Just to mention: you can switch the shield for the daedric curse to pimp your dps but of course you give up survivability for it.
    With hot + hardened shield your pet can easily tank bosses in public dungeons or zone bosses.

I am not saying my way is the best or the only way to do it but i am doing quiet good with it for while now. To undermine my suggestion: with my Resto solo build + Destro AoE build i solo every public dungeon i came along by now - i am a VR7 sorcerer and currently doing the PvE-Content in Glenumbra (started in AD).
    I might give this a try, tho I will have to put points in for the shield. Thanks! Which hot do you use, mutagen?