Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Most underwhelming summoner I've ever played

• Tonturri
    Tonturri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm having a lot of fun with my summons. If they had some commands (which I hear is coming?) I could give them and maybe a taunt for the Clannfear, I'd be a happy camper-tank-whatever. Further in the skill tree is a nice shield that effects me -and- the pets. Sounds really fun, cause the Winged twilight has a heal morph ability and always seems to draw threat...dunno how. Tweaking, yes, but they'r not as useless as they seem!

Edit: Also, the passive that gives a magicka return when they die looks -really- fun. Since the pets die a ton xD
    Edited by Tonturri on July 11, 2014 6:18PM
  • Brasseurfb16_ESO
    Brasseurfb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tonturri wrote: »
    I'm having a lot of fun with my summons. If they had some commands (which I hear is coming?) I could give them and maybe a taunt for the Clannfear, I'd be a happy camper-tank-whatever. Further in the skill tree is a nice shield that effects me -and- the pets. Sounds really fun, cause the Winged twilight has a heal morph ability and always seems to draw threat...dunno how. Tweaking, yes, but they'r not as useless as they seem!

Edit: Also, the passive that gives a magicka return when they die looks -really- fun. Since the pets die a ton xD

Actualy you can command them, and it is very responsive. The basic command are :
    "y" + "Left Mouse Click" to send them attack
    "y" + "Right Mouse Click" to send them back to you.

You can also change the summoning command key in your inputs options.

• Dekkameron
    Dekkameron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tonturri wrote: »

Aye, espesh with those scamps that explode!
    - Veteran Combat Librarian -
  • Nukeyak
    Nukeyak
    ✭✭
    I love my Clannfear, he's a great little tank and fun to quest with. I also like his noises and his death scream melts my heart.
  • shiva7663
    shiva7663
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to name my summoned creatures.
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Makes sense to me, shouldnt be able to taunt if it cant be killed by the enemy.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • shiva7663
    shiva7663
    ✭✭✭
    Can't be killed? Really?
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    shiva7663 wrote: »
    Can't be killed? Really?
    Well technically they can't die, if their body is killed, they reform in the fires of oblivion. Thus don't ever die.
    I would like to name my summoned creatures.
    There is no evidence that we summon the same clanfear each time, or the same Winged Twilight. They could be different Daedra each time, so naming them could be tricky.

People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • shiva7663
    shiva7663
    ✭✭✭
    There's a quest where you return a named scamp to its owner.
  • Troponin
    Troponin
    ✭✭✭
    I specced out of them completely. When I realized how much powerful the other skills were that the sorc class has, I never looked back. Between insanely high armor buffs, amazing health regen ability...there is no need to even use the minions. That said, if they could bring us the bad arse Draemora from Skyrim that could tank almost anything and hit like a truck, I would go for it. Hell, now that I think of it, the only summoned thing that was useless was the familiar dog. The rest had their benefits, like dps, tank, or a combo
  • Koshchei
    Koshchei
    ✭✭
    Are you Y+clicking? Your minion needs to be managed to be effective. Think of them as a combined CC+dot.

The clanfear is an excellent tank if you let him get the first hit in on solo play. With elites and world bosses, keep a rolling HoT on him and drop an AOE heal after a big hit, and he's pretty much unkillable.

The twilight isn't all that useful by herself as a summon, unfortunately. She likes to stand in bad during delves, and her dps is high-aggro but low damage. I find myself using magelight for the enormous crit bonus instead.
    Edited by Koshchei on July 29, 2014 3:31PM
  • Halrloprillalar
    Halrloprillalar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only skils worth using in the entire line are ward (more for solo/ganking to layer over harness magika) and velocious curse (also for primarily solo ganking in pvp).

For pve, curse is only mildly useful for single target dps. The rest are trash. Storm atro has been neutered in the PTS, and now it's only good if you can use it to creatively plug chokepoints with collision detection. Otherwise, both negate and overload are far better for both pve and pvp.
  • Tamanous
    Tamanous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still love my Volatile Familiar in all cases (only if it is brought back to baseline if they ever find a fix for the bug).
  • BrassRazoo
    BrassRazoo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Upcoming in v1.3.0, "The Storm Atronach no longer taunts the target it is attacking." sigh.
    PTS Patch Notes v1.3.0

This is really going to ruin that Ultimate.
    It was the only useful thing about it.
    The stun is ok but really not worth it now.
  • AshTal
    AshTal
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wanted to play a summoner and initially really thought they had the class for me. Unfortunately the summons are naff. The clanfear is useless the only thing it ever manages to hit is something I have stunned or routed and it does little to no damage and dies easy.
    The winged Twilight is better cuz it's ranged it actually does do some damage, can sometimes pull a mob off me and heals me as long as it's lived long enough. I like it but in PvP it just flies off and dies.
    The ultimate however is good. I like it in PvP and PvE - that's a good summon and a save my ass kinda ultimate not like some of the cheaper ones.

I would like to see more summons, and better abilities on them. A damage dealing pet should actually be able to get into combat, and if it's meant to tank it should enrage and have decent hp/armour.
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a random necro. Came across this thread while looking for some info and...

I have to disagree with everyone saying summons are useless.

The difficulty level of most PvE content is pretty low. You'll often 1 or 2 shot mobs and from sufficient range that they will be dead before eg. the clanfear can reach them. So in that scenario they could seem bad.

But the pets are awesome. They let me solo same level world bosses in light armour. FYI I have neither dark exchange nor critical surge. Pets + resto staff and whatever sorc abilities fit the situation is all I need.

I've tried the same with my templar characters and am usually swiftly killed. To even have a slight chance I have to carry a set of heavy armour and even then it's much riskier.

If anything my pets are so good that they have made me slightly lazy. I find myself wearing white (for the sake of style) armour that's many levels behind. And I effectively did 3 levels this week naked against same to +3 level quests/mobs with totally degraded armour, including killing a same level world boss. My only protection was bound armour and pets and that was enough.
  • AureateRN
    AureateRN
    ✭✭✭
    What's wrong with necro posts? New ppl are coming into the game all the time and as Zeni is nerfing one class, ppl are picking up new ones and have questions.

THIS of ALL games is no place for ANYONE to play elitist. The very idea is ....oh my sides! I learned what I wanted to know about Winged Twilight here (does she ever become useful? Answer, yes--if you have any clue how to use her.)

It's still valid.

"...people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed."
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche~

• AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    AureateRN wrote: »
    What's wrong with necro posts? New ppl are coming into the game all the time and as Zeni is nerfing one class, ppl are picking up new ones and have questions.

The problem is that as the thread gets older, the more likely it is that some of the info has been rendered incorrect by patchs/updates.

This one is still mostly ok, Summons are still good, although the exploding familiar is bugged at the minute, but that should be resolved before long.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • AssaultLemming
    AssaultLemming
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been finding that my pets are key to being able to solo in craglorn in full light armor, but I still find it much more difficult than on my nightblade. Anyone able to solo all the groups of craglorn mobs including the vr 13s on a summoning sorcerer? I would be keen to know what spells and armor you use.