The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Help on definitive best PVE healing armour/weap/jewels

timwestuk
timwestuk
Soul Shriven
Hey guys,

I've got literally zero idea about loot at VR12. I'm hoping one of you more experienced players could help me out in finding what is considered to be the best healing gear for VR12 PVE content. Nice things to know would be:
  • Item name
  • If it's crafted / dropped
  • Best enchantment to use on it
  • Best trait to use (if crafted)
  • Why it is the best choice (optional)

I would really appreciate absolutely any help anyone could give me. Thanks a lot!
  • Axer
    Axer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Copy/paste from another thread, so won't make full sense in context, but includes all you need to know:

Magicka recovery and reduced costs are enchantments that only go on jewlery, and for a templar healer - both are the wrong choice.
    - The correct choice for jewlery is +spell power.

Increased magicka only goes on armor, and it is #1 critical priority, as it not only ups your available pool, but also the effectiveness of your heals. Thus the best healer armor setup in the game is 5 piece magnus +3 piece aether. If aether not available, use seducer.

Crit is low priority for 1 clear reason:
    You can't say to someone "oh well around 5-50% of the time I'll heal you enough so you don't die". Healing has to work 100% of the time. Thus you never rely on criticals.

That said, crits are necessary in this game not for the extra healing, but instead for the ultimate generation.

However simply running magelight (innerlight) and setting your campaign to one with the +8% is plenty (36% total with precise resto staff). Just pop a spell power/crit/magicka pot at the right moment when you need more (pretty much never, but can help in lower powered grps in trials).

So correct gear setup (and I do mean correct, this games is far too unbalanced to offer "choices"):
    4 magnus armor + magnus resto staff
    3 aether armor or until you acquire it: 3 seducer
    All light.
    Jewl:
    Buy from vendor in craglorn - v12 blue arcane rings. Neck there has health, which is fine, else get a random version from zone chat with arcane. Enchant all 3 with +13 spell power.

Build:
    49 in magicka. Enchant the armor with +health. Aim for a minimum of 2,300hp in trials. If its lower due to lack of emperor buff or something, try 5 in health, maybe 10 in health, maximum.

Armor traits:
    3 impenetrable. (30% less damage from crits)
    4 infused (extra health)

Why defensive traits:
    The offensive traits add zero noticeable effect. Players will not live or die based on you having a few extra magicka or +0.1% healing from divines+ritual stone. You however WILL get 1 shot by frost breath in the aetherian archives if you do not have impenetrable traits.

Non crafted upgrades:

Aether as I mentioned. It drops in either raid. Not that hard to get 3 piece, as 7 pieces drop total, and a single completion for the weekly nets you an 100% chance at 3 raid loot pieces. (1 boss drop, 1 quest reward, 1 mail reward).

1 other possible upgrade is using the healing staff of thorn +2 ring set bonus (rings have arcane iirc, and are enchantable)..
    Issue with that however:
    staff is v10. Set bonus is only +8% healing. So you'd lose some ~2-3% Resto staff heals in the process.

Larger issue: Rings are a 1 in 1,000,000 drop rate and no one runs vr dungeons anymore. Impossible to acquire.
    Axer. Main tank and Leader of Crush it! (NA-EP highly skilled trials guild)
  • timwestuk
    timwestuk
    Soul Shriven
    That's brilliant, thanks for your help Axer!

What trait/enchant would you recommend for the restoration staff? Is Precise thought to be the best?
  • Budnick
    Budnick
    spell power has nothing to do with resto staff abilities. stacking weapon power and magicka will make resto staff abilities stronger. so if you are playing a sorcerer like I am. spell power wont help your healing.
  • DeLindsay
    DeLindsay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Budnick wrote: »
    spell power has nothing to do with resto staff abilities. stacking weapon power and magicka will make resto staff abilities stronger. so if you are playing a sorcerer like I am. spell power wont help your healing.

Mind linking some proof or evidence of that? I can say that I see a difference on my VR8 when I run full Spell Damage Glyphs vs any other option.
  • Axer
    Axer
    ✭✭✭✭
    DeLindsay wrote: »
    Budnick wrote: »

Mind linking some proof or evidence of that? I can say that I see a difference on my VR8 when I run full Spell Damage Glyphs vs any other option.

He is correct.

I also just did a full healing guide here:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/117581/definitive-endgame-vr-dungeon-trial-healing-guide-all-classes#latest
  • DeLindsay
    DeLindsay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Axer nice guide and I know that some things are wonky to the point even ZoS doesn't like the way things scale like they want anything that's Magicka to scale with Magicka/Spell damage/Spell crit and the same for Stamina. But, as I said I still see a noticeable difference when I use Spell damage vs any other type of Glyph on my jewelry (I also buy the blues from Magus's) for both healing and DPS with a Resto staff. For DPS I'm obviously not using any of the Resto staff abilities but instead all NB Class abilities, maybe that's why there. I also have a very high crit rate FOR my DPS build and maybe that's why I "see" an improvement in Healing with Spell Damage that might not be true.

Can anyone link some actual evidence like a video or someone thoroughly testing Weapon damage vs Spell damage for non-Templars in regards to Restoration abilities? If this truly is the case then I'll go grab 3 more pcs of blue Jewelry and make a set with Weapon damage for Healing while keeping my Spell damage for DPS, thanks.
  • Axer
    Axer
    ✭✭✭✭
    DeLindsay wrote: »
    @Axer nice guide and I know that some things are wonky to the point even ZoS doesn't like the way things scale like they want anything that's Magicka to scale with Magicka/Spell damage/Spell crit and the same for Stamina. But, as I said I still see a noticeable difference when I use Spell damage vs any other type of Glyph on my jewelry (I also buy the blues from Magus's) for both healing and DPS with a Resto staff. For DPS I'm obviously not using any of the Resto staff abilities but instead all NB Class abilities, maybe that's why there. I also have a very high crit rate FOR my DPS build and maybe that's why I "see" an improvement in Healing with Spell Damage that might not be true.

Can anyone link some actual evidence like a video or someone thoroughly testing Weapon damage vs Spell damage for non-Templars in regards to Restoration abilities? If this truly is the case then I'll go grab 3 more pcs of blue Jewelry and make a set with Weapon damage for Healing while keeping my Spell damage for DPS, thanks.

No. I tested it and you can take my word.

I lead one of the most successful and fast PvE guilds on the trial leaderboards. If thats not enough evidence for you that I am trustworthy and did my homework, then I'm afraid your own your own.

+spell damage applies to all class skills. So yes your NB class heals will get boosted by them.

+weapon damage applies to all weapon skills.

Only confusing part here is that CERTAIN class skills rely on +weapon crit, while most rely on +spell crit.

And all physical weapons use +weapon crit, while both staves use +spell crit. (though their have been bugs in the past where resto staff heals were +weapon crit, not sure they are all iron'd out)

Also all/most of the NBs in my guild use +spell dmg jewl despite these facts.

Same for sorcs, who heal sometimes.

Reason:
    DPS > Healing. Part of my guide - healing 101: Prevent the damage by killing faster in the first place.

Dedicated sor/nb +wep dmg healers have a place in trials, in 4man content you can pretty much get by just fine using +spell dmg sor/nb healers, plus they will do mroe dps to boot, so will get faster runs.

Sorcs more so then NB. As a pure destroy staff sorc build can put our very serious dps, and hps thanks to critical surge. NB rely more on their class skills.
    Edited by Axer on July 5, 2014 6:40PM
  • j.metzgernub18_ESO
    j.metzgernub18_ESO
    Soul Shriven

Axer wrote: »
    No. I tested it and you can take my word.

I lead one of the most successful and fast PvE guilds on the trial leaderboards. If thats not enough evidence for you that I am trustworthy and did my homework, then I'm afraid your own your own.

I don't think you should mislead people with statements such as this sir. If one were to heed guides written by the *best* pve/pvp guild(s), which clearly counter the vast majority of what you postulate in your post, I do not think they would be "own your own. " In fact, I think its fair to say that among high endgame PvE focused players, following Axer's opinions are much more likely to make you on your own.

The whole post reeks of shoddily formed concepts which are easily refuted with basic calculations. I really am not interested in spending the time to break down each and every suggestion made, as nearly everything written is very, very far from expert consensus. From the item sets (really... I can't help myself... REALLY? 5% to negate spell cost as the 5piece endgame bonus for someone who AVOIDS crit due to its supposed lack of certainty?!?) to the stat allocation, you are quite far from any respected healing community's consensus.

This is not the "definitive" anything other than the definitive guide I would follow to attain subpar, non minmaxed mediocrity. Please stop confusing people who may not have the time or interest to do their own calculations by claiming this is in any way, shape or form "definitive."

To anyone looking for a true definitive guide to endgame healing gear / stat allocation / ect. please consider the following:

Don't believe everything you read, no matter how "definitive" they claim to be. Peruse multiple websites/communities, consider various authors' opinions and be sure to verify at least rudimentary calculations. If someone claims they are from one of the fastest trial guilds and you should "take their word" or else be ignorant, you might want to rethink their credibility. If you do this, you will come to your own conclusions as to what is the most viable way to build an effective healer. And it will likely actually be decent. ;p