Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Spell res vs specificr res

leandro.800ub17_ESO
leandro.800ub17_ESO
✭✭✭✭
Do you know if there is a specific cap when you use like fire res or is it the same as overall stat?
Also
Example. is +1500 fire res = +1500 spell res (fire res speaking) ?

I am asking being a dark elf i already have fire spell res as race passive so when i have overall spell res caped does it affect the passive?
Edited by leandro.800ub17_ESO on June 30, 2014 12:02PM

Best Answers

• Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My understanding of the matter is that fire resistance functions the same as magic resistance, except only against fire, and these two are added together up to a 2500 cap.

So if you are a dark elf with natural 1500 fire resistance you only need 1000 magic resistance to minimize incoming fire damage as much as possible.
    Answer ✓
  • Gargragrond
    Gargragrond
    ✭✭✭
    I did some detailed testing few days ago. Here's what I found:

1) elemental resistance is added to the spell resistance in case it applies (correct damage type). i.e. 500 spell resistance + 500 fire resistance gives exactly the same protection as 1000 spell resistance against fire spells.

2) spell resistance soft cap is not applied when doing the adding. that is, if you have 1000 spell resistance and spell res is soft capped at 1000, you can add another 1000 fire resistance (e.g. via ring), and the damage reduction is equivalent of 2000 spell resistance.
    To reach this level with just +spell res rings/skills, you would need to add around 2000-3000 spel res bonus because of the soft cap effect.

3) spell resistance is hard capped around ~2900. you can add more but it does not reduce damage any further. Up to this point, the damage reduction is linear function of spell res. The maximum protection is close to ~50% damage.

So, to answer your question: If you can add 1000 spell resistance without reaching the soft cap, then it's probably better to use +spel res, as it provides exactly the same protection (and applies to other damage types as well) But if your spell res is already near the soft cap, then +1000 frost resistance will give you more protection against frost spells.

Answer ✓
  • Anlaemar
    Anlaemar
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I know, the passive doesn't effect your overall spell resistance. Fire resistance has its own little, hidden catagory that can't be seen without the use of an addon.
    (NA) Anlaemar with 750+ Champion Points
    Member Since April 15, 2014
    (EP)Alrik Vadason - Nord Dragonknight
    Tank
    (EP)Matdasi Hlarrobar - Breton Mageblade
    Formerly known as Ra'dar Ahdhari - Main DPS 40k Self Buffed
    (EP)Marrec Vadason - Breton Templar Healer
    (EP)Nameless - Altmer Sorcerer - Secondary DPS
    - The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason -
  • leandro.800ub17_ESO
    leandro.800ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    What is the addon?
    I was wandering if best to use a +1500 frost and another thunder than just 2x +550 spell res
  • leandro.800ub17_ESO
    leandro.800ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    This in intended for PVE ofc . Being a DK i have trouble against souls and other flying creature that are unaffected by snares or bleeds
    They hit me pretty hard even if i have 2000 spell res
  • Gargragrond
    Gargragrond
    ✭✭✭
    At 2000 spel res, you take around 65% of the original damage. At hard cap (which seems to be at 2900), you would take ~50% damage. So going for the hard cap you can decrease the damage ~23% compared to 2000 spel res values. However, I don't know if there are elemental attacks which are not considered spells and are only affected by corresponding resistance - does someone know?
  • CaptainSilverbrow
    CaptainSilverbrow
    ✭✭✭
    At 2000 spel res, you take around 65% of the original damage. At hard cap (which seems to be at 2900), you would take ~50% damage. So going for the hard cap you can decrease the damage ~23% compared to 2000 spel res values. However, I don't know if there are elemental attacks which are not considered spells and are only affected by corresponding resistance - does someone know?

There are one or two ghost varieties that resort either to majority melee or partial melee in combat. The third I know of just sits there and casts freezing abilities. The melee ones can hit pretty hard in VR zones, but I wear HA, so they don't present too much risk.