Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Puncturing sweep does not benefit from Spell power (and weapon power)?

grizzbi
grizzbi
✭✭✭
SO I was curious to test the changes from 1.2.3 for the templar class. And so far I'm quite happy. Here, I'll focus on Puncturing sweep.

It's a good all around ability. It's not meant to be spammed but used wisely it's a good skill now.

I decided to test different other skills to see how to enhance it, on both damage and healing sides. Without surprise, crit rate is a very good way to get the most of it.

But when I tried to use Solar Flare IV, which enhance both weapon and spell power, I've discovered that using Puncturing Sweep just after, my damage and healing stay exactly the same.

I don't think it's working as intended. Or in that case it would be an exception...

Do I miss something?
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has been known for a while now that the bonus only applies to the first hit from Puncturing/Biting. Is this what you are seeing? Or does not even the first hit get a boost?
  • tplink3r1
    tplink3r1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    solar flare does not affect channeled abilities.
    VR16 Templar
    VR3 Sorcerer
  • grizzbi
    grizzbi
    ✭✭✭
    thanks for the answer. I didn't use Puncturing/Biting jabs before yesterday. I was not aware that only the first hit was buffed. I'm not even sure that the bonus apply to the first hit. Anyway it wouldn't make any real difference..
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tplink3r1 wrote: »
    solar flare does not affect channeled abilities.

If that's the case, that's lame. Like we needed more reasons to use exclusively instant cast abilities. :\
  • ZDavis_ESQ
    ZDavis_ESQ
    Soul Shriven
    Solar Flare (and its morphs) also don't seem to affect GTAOEs, like Spear Shards and its morphs. Sad, but true.
    Edited by ZDavis_ESQ on June 26, 2014 8:15PM
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have noticed from beta that the yellow effect that is created on mobs after using dark flare/solar barrage doesn't dissapear when using puncturing strike or its morphs. And it pisses me off to have not seen it fixed yet. And indeed if this is intended then it is highly ridiculous.
  • monkeymystic
    monkeymystic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Puncturing Sweep is OP atm though, so I wouldn't complain much about it (yes im a templar, and I can easily admit that this new buff to sweep is a bit over the top with the heal + dmg). If they fix it, they would have to nerf the damage to balance it out either way.

But I agree that it should scale with spell power.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Puncturing Sweep is OP atm though, so I wouldn't complain much about it (yes im a templar, and I can easily admit that this new buff to sweep is a bit over the top with the heal + dmg). If they fix it, they would have to nerf the damage to balance it out either way.

But I agree that it should scale with spell power.

It's funny because as far as healing go I was attempting to do a public VR7 dungeon today since the patch with the puncturing sweep update, and was still having to take my time and go slow, circle strafe and plan the sweep (since it leaves you so vulnerable.)

A Sorcerer came along, went ahead of me, dived into a group of 7 mobs, and impulsed them to death without his health dropping one bit past 90%. I can only assume critical surge was keeping him at near 100% health. He then used dark conversion and ran to the next group without missing a beat.

If Puncturing Sweep was an instant cast ability I would agree it is op, but the 1.1 second channel gets interrupted all the time, I take full damage during it since block is not possible and I have to purposely cut it short to avoid cc (or power attacks) often as well.

I disagree with you and do not think it is op at all.

Edited by danno8 on June 30, 2014 3:51AM
  • Nidwin
    Nidwin
    ✭✭✭
    Puncturing Sweep is fine as it is. As danno said, we take full load of damage as we can't block while channeling it.

You still need to straff/jump around to avoid the big red circles and cones to avoid taking 1+k damage in one hit, and so on and so on.

It's also only useful against some packs of 2/3 while it'll just get you killed against others. It's useless in 1vs1 as we have way better options and forget about it against Elites and solo Bosses.
    Nidwinqq Templar (healzzz) United Warhammer Vets
    Nidwinqq RR100 Magus till the end, R.I.P. Badlands
  • Akinos
    Akinos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol...puncture does scale with spell power, but it also scales off weapon crit chance. Test and see for yourselves guys before telling people otherwise.
    Edited by Akinos on June 30, 2014 7:18PM
    PC NA | @AkinosPvP 1vX/Small Scaler, Raid Leader, Youtuber and Twitch.tv Streamer.MAGICKA MELEE IS LIFE!Magplar, MagDK, Magden, Magblade, Magsorc & Magcro PvP/Build videos & moretwitch.tv/akinospvp
  • Robocles
    Robocles
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It does scale, it just doesn't benefit from solar flare... which if brilliant design, of course.
  • Akinos
    Akinos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Robocles wrote: »
    It does scale, it just doesn't benefit from solar flare... which if brilliant design, of course.
    Oh yeah, that is true too. I wish it did lol, would be much stronger then it is normally. There's other ways to buff its power though also.
    PC NA | @AkinosPvP 1vX/Small Scaler, Raid Leader, Youtuber and Twitch.tv Streamer.MAGICKA MELEE IS LIFE!Magplar, MagDK, Magden, Magblade, Magsorc & Magcro PvP/Build videos & moretwitch.tv/akinospvp