Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Serious question about forum stalking/reporting

Makkir
Makkir
✭✭✭✭✭
I feel like someone is following every one of my posts and then reporting them, purposely causing grief. I have emailed customer service a few times last week with no response. Technically speaking, yes you can pretty much report anyone's post and claim it to be offensive in some regard...but is there a point where it becomes harassment? I feel like I have to walk on eggshells because the second I disagree with someone or make an "off topic" comment I receive a moderator message in my inbox and I certainly don't want another 3 day ban.

Will phone support look into this and possibly "wipe my slate" if I am found to be reasonable as I suspect this post will be reported as well?
Edited by Makkir on June 26, 2014 6:01PM
  • Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Makkir wrote: »
    I feel like someone is following every one of my posts and then reporting them, purposely causing grief. I have emailed customer service a few times last week with no response. Technically speaking, yes you can pretty much report anyone's post and claim it to be offensive in some regard...but is there a point where it becomes harassment? I feel like I have to walk on eggshells because the second I disagree with someone or make an "off topic" comment I receive a moderator message in my inbox and I certainly don't want another 3 day ban.

Will phone support look into this and possibly "wipe my slate" if I am found to be reasonable as I suspect this post will be reported as well?

They will do nothing about it. Ive lost 10 days of gametime due to overzealous *** mods. Be happy, as CS layoffs for the US are coming soon and we can hope these forum mods get fired.
    Edited by Ragnar_Lodbrok on June 26, 2014 6:04PM
  • Makkir
    Makkir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that Ragnar. Maybe it's best to just stay off the forums then. I was literally heartbroken that I couldn't log in for 3 days. I don't get much play time as it is :(
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You would think that anyone who reports several posts in a short period of time would also get a close look by the mods.

Seems like common sense to me ...
    ;-)
  • Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    You would think that anyone who reports several posts in a short period of time would also get a close look by the mods.

Seems like common sense to me ...
    ;-)

Because the mods show favoritism, so if you disagree with a poster thats one of their friends you get the ban hammer even if you violated no rule.
  • kaosodin
    kaosodin
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was warned my self.....the email said I could be banned..... and it was befause I kind of clowned on a guy.... I also feel like I have to walk on egg shells.
  • KariTR
    KariTR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Including this one, I can only see three posts in the last week. They are all thread starters and are constructive enough in content. Unfortunately, two of the threads discuss the same topic. Albeit the second thread has the addition of a poll, the first thread on the topic didn't garner any real discussion or support, so it is possible some posters reported you for the duplication?

With only 13 posts in total and only one thread where you engaged with another poster aggressively ("turd tosser"), it is hard to know where the multiple flags are coming from. Have you had posts removed?

Edit to ask: Do CS point out the posts that broke forum rules?
    Edited by KariTR on June 27, 2014 2:21PM
  • Makkir
    Makkir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KariTR wrote: »
    are coming from. Have you had posts removed?

Edit to ask: Do CS point out the posts that broke forum rules?

I am going to try to be careful since discussing bans is also against the forum policy, so hopefully this serves more an educational purpose for those seeing it.

To answer your question, Yes and Yes. When a post is flagged and deemed inappropriate it is removed. You also receive a Private Message indicating it was removed, and they tell you what exactly was removed.

I am sarcastic. I will admit, coming to these forums 2 months ago from another game was a challenge to adapt to the policing here since it is much less forgiving. But I learned that quickly. I was a huge advocate against global auction houses and those conversations got very heated. I believe there are individual(s) who just report everything I say in hopes I get banned because I obviously hit a chord against their forum egos.

As an example, someone recently posted some spoilers for Game of Thrones (info that came from the books that will likely be in the next season). And I made a comment (I think in regards to the using the Spoiler feature on these forums) "So idiots don't come onto the ESO forums and produce spoilers for everyone else." Something close along those lines anyway...and it ultimately was the comment that landed me a 3 day ban.
    I made a comment about these forums not being your personal facebook wall which got reported and removed.
    I had another comment removed, and a warning issued yesterday for stating "You are so cute I just want to pinch your cheeks and say ozzie boo boo."

I don't mind the over-policing of these forums, but I think every comment needs to be analyzed carefully and taken a bit more lightly. Just ask, "Would a normal human being find this offensive?" I think as a society we just need to stop over protecting the exceptions. I don't think any of the above warranted warnings and a ban, especially since I used the word "idiot" in a general sense and did not name anyone specific (nor did I directly quote anyone).

Edited by Makkir on June 27, 2014 2:58PM
  • Makkir
    Makkir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A big issue with these forums is the fact you cannot delete your original post.
    In the instance of my duplicate post, they were in two different areas and I didn't figure out how to use the poll feature until after I posted the first one. If I could, I would have gone back at that point and removed my first thread.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a warning (and post removed) for commenting on someone's post with "You really are clueless, aren't you?".

If i get banned from the forums for pointing out that someone is clueless, well, then so be it ...
    ;-)
    Edited by SirAndy on June 27, 2014 9:08PM
  • Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a warning (and post removed) for commenting on someone's post with "You really are clueless, aren't you?".

If i get banned from the forums for pointing out that someone is clueless, well, then so be it ...
    ;-)

They ban you from the game too not just the forums :'(
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't be serious? unsure.gif

Edited by SirAndy on June 27, 2014 10:10PM
  • Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't be serious? blink.gif

Im dead serious.
  • Chryos
    Chryos
    ✭✭✭✭
    Actually the mod's are bordering on violating the rights of free speech, or at the very least they are overusing censorship, getting close... Just my opinion, I stopped posting, I just came back to see whats going on and if they are working on improving the VR1 experience (for me). Anyway, VR trials are pretty much WoW's version of "What's your gearscore bro?" and this is just how I feel at the moment.
    If I am going to quote someone, it's going to be me.
  • vanillexhope
    vanillexhope
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing your info about bans. I will definitely be more careful how I word things!
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chryos wrote: »
    Actually the mod's are bordering on violating the rights of free speech, or at the very least they are overusing censorship, getting close...
    There is no such thing as free speech on a privately or company owned internet forum.

Your right to free speech does not, by law, apply here at all ...
    ;-)
  • Laz
    Laz
    ✭✭✭
    Your right to free speech does not, by law, apply here at all ...
    ;-)

This is typically called "Virtual private property"
    Edited by Laz on June 28, 2014 12:09AM
    Been around watchin'. Time to start talkin'. - Twitch: twitch.tv/lazisonline
    Prior host of TESO Elite game-play twitch streams
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Actually the mod's are bordering on violating the rights of free speech, or at the very least they are overusing censorship, getting close... Just my opinion

Free speech doesn't apply to the internet, firstly it's not in any one country (Despite what some people in USA think), so quoting your right to free speech is incorrect, there is no international right of free speech btw. Secondly this is a privately owned site, with it's own code of conduct, this overwrites any issue of free speech. Thirdly you agreed to abide by the forum rules when you set up your forum account, if any german judges disagree, well read the second point.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Makkir
    Makkir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't be serious? unsure.gif

@SirAndy‌
    If it were just the forums I wouldn't have bothered with this discussion. Those items I mentioned above that landed me a 3 day ban....was a ban in game as well. I think that part is ludicrous. I NEVER speak in zone chat in game, I keep to myself and enjoy my hour a day play time. And they took that from me for using the word "idiot."
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am sarcastic. I will admit, coming to these forums 2 months ago from another game was a challenge to adapt to the policing here since it is much less forgiving.
    The mods here are pretty bad at sarcasm, but then I find that in many American-run forums.

Edited by fromtesonlineb16_ESO on June 30, 2014 7:02AM
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those items I mentioned above that landed me a 3 day ban
    While a ban for that was crass, you obviously ignored several warnings before-hand. I know for a fact you get several 'friendly' warnings (not sure how many) before a clear "do it again and you'll be banned" final warning "You have been warned" PM.

Edited by fromtesonlineb16_ESO on June 30, 2014 7:51AM
  • Nicolyne
    Nicolyne
    ✭✭
    I cannot believe the mods on the forums have the power to ban in game! That's crazy to me.
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nicolyne wrote: »
    I cannot believe the mods on the forums have the power to ban in game! That's crazy to me.
    It's in the TOS for the use of the forum and many have found it to be true.

• Tannakaobi
    Tannakaobi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nicolyne wrote: »

Aye!
  • WookieGeek
    WookieGeek
    Soul Shriven
    Let me see if I understand all this correctly. Depending on who the mod is that reads your post you may or may not get warned or banned. The ban is also in game for something that was said on the forums?

So they are drawing a correlation that if you post in a way they don't like here then you MUST be doing the same thing in game?

So a company that just released in April, a subscription based game, that requires people to actually pay the subscription decides to irritate the very people who are paying for the subscription.

Now I didn't attend the Wharton School of Business, nor have I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express lately but I am not so sure that concept is one designed to attract and retain a customer base.

Don't get me wrong I am all for policing the playground. I also have played COD which is the exact opposite of keeping things in order. All the anger and foul language of a 12 y/o makes game play distinctly unpleasant.

Seems to me there should be a happy medium with forum actions not linked to game actions unsubstantiated.

Oh and before I forget The 1st amendment and all the rest of the constitution only deal with the relationship between the federal government and individuals. The 14th made it applicable to state governments as well