The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Nightblade Tank (dodge tank or Heavy armor?)

supernova12034
supernova12034
Soul Shriven
I read about this tanking build that was essentially a 'dodge' build, it included maximizing use of Mirage (blur) and Evasion(medium armor), with a maximum uptime you would essentially have a 30% dodge, and that along with a shield, and self heals that nightblades bring would comprise of the build

How does this work in comparison with the standard, good ol heavy armor nightblade tank? Is it viable?

Thanks.
  • Thejollygreenone
    Thejollygreenone
    ✭✭✭
    I read about this tanking build that was essentially a 'dodge' build, it included maximizing use of Mirage (blur) and Evasion(medium armor), with a maximum uptime you would essentially have a 30% dodge, and that along with a shield, and self heals that nightblades bring would comprise of the build

How does this work in comparison with the standard, good ol heavy armor nightblade tank? Is it viable?

Thanks.

If this could be added in without taking away from other mitigation, cc, and threat based damager active abilities also being on the bar, certainly it would be viable, and really not much different from any other tank since we already had decent mitigation. Just with this there would be decent mitigation as well as a decent chance to negate damage on a lot of attacks.

This is just speculation though, I'm certainly no expert tank. I'd welcome someone of more experience to chime in and correct me if needed ^.^
  • DGVish
    DGVish
    ✭✭
    The problem with this build is holding aggro on multiple mobs. For a single target fight, boss fights, it would work just fine.

Also you would need to advise your healers you will take "spike" damage. Meaning you will eventually run out RNG and you will get SMACKED all of a sudden and lose a lot of health.

The idea of a NB tank works in theory but DKs just do so much better it isn't even up for debate. You should never bring another tank besides a DK if you plan on progressing. That applies to end game content, but still NB tanks are not sought after nor are they taken seriously.
  • supernova12034
    supernova12034
    Soul Shriven
    DGVish wrote: »
    The problem with this build is holding aggro on multiple mobs. For a single target fight, boss fights, it would work just fine.

Also you would need to advise your healers you will take "spike" damage. Meaning you will eventually run out RNG and you will get SMACKED all of a sudden and lose a lot of health.

The idea of a NB tank works in theory but DKs just do so much better it isn't even up for debate. You should never bring another tank besides a DK if you plan on progressing. That applies to end game content, but still NB tanks are not sought after nor are they taken seriously.

I was taking originally as a NB in full heavy, was having no problems whatsoever. Now that i have healing spells, it should be even easier. This 'dodge' build is just speculation and theorycrafting at the moment and may not be viable. But to say nightblades as a whole are un-viable as tanks is just ridiculous
  • Wifeaggro13
    Wifeaggro13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DGVish wrote: »

I was taking originally as a NB in full heavy, was having no problems whatsoever. Now that i have healing spells, it should be even easier. This 'dodge' build is just speculation and theorycrafting at the moment and may not be viable. But to say nightblades as a whole are un-viable as tanks is just ridiculous

Just Grab some light Armor. there is literally Zero difference in armor. You can wear light buff yourself to soft cap and there will be no difference . there is very little any how Mitigation heavy armor medium armor are completely broken in my opinion. Magica regen is superior and your healer will never know the difference if your wearing a costume. FYI i have a DK V12 in heavy and a v5 sorc in light Seducer 5 and night mother 5 , My Sorc is vastly superior in Vr dungeons with near 500 hp less , has higher armor with his two armor buffs and spell resist 1200 over cap. Tanking builds in this game are completely broken..... sorry just the facts . grab some light armor you will be fine using armor buffs.