The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Magika based game, Having trouble picking races OTHER than Breton

jambam817_ESO
jambam817_ESO
✭✭✭
I just can't justify any other racials besides MAYBE Altmer (but they're oogly) for my characters. So many magika bonuses, usefull especially if you DONT plan on going Light Armor for resource managment.
Any advice to sway my thinking. I love the races in this game but i keep rolling bretons because well... it only makes sense
  • RangerChad
    RangerChad
    ✭✭✭
    Yes this game is to heavily geared toward magicka. Magicka this, magicka that. Magicka is more important than your health bar in this game, which is a little odd. xD Perhaps if they decide to rebalance the game without killing a class, things will be a lot better.
  • jesterstear
    jesterstear
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't call my Altmer oogly. Well maybe Abnur Tharn would, because he can't see her face.

5withshorty_zps781ac025.png

Apart from her extreme size, is there anything particularly wrong with her proportions?

3narostelnakedmontage_zps84d24f2d.png

I understand the Breton thing though. Magicka Regen as a racial passive isn't great because it's so easy to softcap anyway... but power cost has no softcap, and gets more powerful the lower it goes (a ring that reduces cost of every spell by a flat 14 is worth twice as much on a spell costing 140 as one costing 280, to use extreme example).
  • pecheckler
    pecheckler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just don't pick imperial. Oh my god what a mistake. Every time I click my racial skill tab and again realize that using staves is the only viable build choice, I mash alt+f4 and storm away from my computer.

atrocious class and skill balance
    End the tedious inventory management game.
  • Falmer
    Falmer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, with the soft caps, race doesn't mean a whole lot anyway. If you pick a different class, you just choose different enchantments, equipment to make up the difference.
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I just can't justify any other racials besides MAYBE Altmer (but they're oogly) for my characters. So many magika bonuses, usefull especially if you DONT plan on going Light Armor for resource managment.
    Any advice to sway my thinking. I love the races in this game but i keep rolling bretons because well... it only makes sense

Dunmer fits in well with the Dragon knight, since it offers a boost to fire damage, and a dragon knight uses fire abilities. Seriously the Dunmer racials, apart from the dual weild experience boost (and that doesn't actually detract), mesh extremely well with the Dragon Knight.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • adam.s.jonesub17_ESO
    You can hit stamina, health, magicka, and all regen caps fairly easily (maybe not all at once though). A class with high ones allows you to gear into other area's for example redguard tanks can go almost all into health with their huge passive stamina traits.

However; the uniqueness of racial 'extra skills' such as increase spell damage on High Elves, Health Leach for Imps, etc are ones you can't make up for. Breton's get spell resistance and spell cost that is 2 unique skills dark elves also get 2, fire damage and fire resistance. Does that make them the 2 best caster classes, maybe but I wouldn't discount the raw and flat across all spells extra damage from the high elves.

% gain to weapon skills may seem nice early but really they are unnecessary as they have caps at level 50 and are not that hard to get there.
  • Atzel
    Atzel
    ✭✭
    Dunmen/Dark Elf Racials are best ones for PvP atm , both for dmg and defence. Just think about how much fire dmg there is in Cyrodil and how they get free fire resist racial , that resist also gives huge edge to people that want to play vampires aswell. So ye for me anyday Dunmer > Breton , you will be amazed how much dmg reduction the racial gives.

I really hope they do something about racials , because some of them really give HUGE boosts especially in PvP
    Edited by Atzel on June 17, 2014 2:24AM
  • The_Sadist
    The_Sadist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I disagree, the Dunmer and Altmer (as you mentioned) are equally viable for a caster. The Breton is more defensive and would be good for any class I suppose, I personally plan on making a Breton Templar and perhaps a third Sorcerer. The Dunmer has some lovely racials and would be awesome for a Dragonknight or a Sorcerer. More over, the Dunmer's fire resistance passive makes them viable for vampires of any class. Lastly the Altmer seems more Sorcerer orientated, and is arguably the best offensive caster (9% regeneration v -3% cost reduction.. the reduction seems to win but eh), the extra shock / fire damage is handy but if you don't plan on using elements it's easily forgettable.

Furthermore, not every class is Magicka inclined, I know quite a few Imperial tanks and most of my Nightblade friends are either Bosmer, Imperial or Khajiit.

Ultimately the racials aren't make or break, but they do drive you insane (I went Dunmer on my first Sorcerer, got to veteran rank 1, felt sad, made an Altmer Sorcerer now at veteran rank 6, went vampire, feel a Dunmer Sorcerer would be better suited for vampirism.. now want to make a Breton Sorcerer... Insanity is fun).
    "Each event is preceded by Prophecy. But without the hero, there is no Event." ― Zurin Arctus, the Underking.
    Tragrim - How do I work this thing?
    Casually stalking the forums