The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

ESO Game Performance

emoxxxkid
emoxxxkid
Soul Shriven
Hey everyone. Maybe someone can help me with this issue I've been having. ESO is my first MMO I've ever played and I'm loving it, but I'm getting FPS drops when I get into cities. I just built a brand new computer with these components:

CPU: i7-4770k 3.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero
Graphics: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB
RAM: 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
HDD: Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD (Boot) and Seagate 2TB 7200RPM (Storage)
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850w

On high settings, I get about 20 - 25 FPS in the towns and about 40 - 50 FPS elsewhere. On medium settings, I get about 30 - 35 FPS in the towns and 60 - 90 FPS elsewhere. Now considering this is a brand new build, I should be getting far better FPS all around correct? I have been doing a little research and found that since I'm using my stock heatsink my CPU temps during gameplay are about 90 - 100c. I know this is extremely high and bought a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO heatsink, but my question is, could this be the issue of having these performance issues?

I also ran 3Dmark and it states "Your GPU is ready to rumble, but your CPU doesn't want to play." as my achievement. It's getting a low Physics score, but a much higher Graphics score.

Any help with this would be great! I've been out of PC gaming since like 2002 so I've got a lot of catching up to do.

Thanks!
  • vital1989
    vital1989
    ✭✭
    hi,i bough new pc as well, 2 week ago.Psu 730W i7 4770k asus gtx 780 8gb ram 1600 windows 7. but mine fps much better then yours I play on ultra settings . fps (without addons) in town 45-60 jumping depend on how many peoples, i was running around in blacksmith station. in pve its fine 60-75 ( mine monitor 75 herz ,vsync on) in pvp its crap 25-30. most of times gpu and cpu run on half power 50-60% even if fps drop low. temp on gpu max i seen 56 and cpu 41, cpu fan arctic freezer i30.but with our machines we must get better performance anyway,lets wait future,maybe new patch/NVidia drivers will fix fps problem. P.S sorry for bad english
    Edited by vital1989 on May 6, 2014 6:05PM
  • Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Go to your Nvidia control panel and put your power management to maximum performance.

What this does is that it will run your GPU always on maximum clock speed. Some Nvidia cards do throttle the performance in some games for the wrong reasons.

Also check if you have the newest Nvidia drivers (I use AMD so I cant recommend you which driver works best with TESO, but the new performance driver was supposed to give a nice boost in gaming).

You can also check your power settings in windows. Make sure its not put on power saving, but on standard or high performance.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/power-management

As for your tempreture, well 100 is a lot indeed, but around 80-90 are still ok for these CPU´s. That said, I would always recommend a non boxed cooling solution.

Did you notice a CPU throttling? What I mean is, if you play for 10 or 20 minutes, does it get worse?
  • emoxxxkid
    emoxxxkid
    Soul Shriven
    Audigy wrote: »
    Go to your Nvidia control panel and put your power management to maximum performance.

What this does is that it will run your GPU always on maximum clock speed. Some Nvidia cards do throttle the performance in some games for the wrong reasons.

Also check if you have the newest Nvidia drivers (I use AMD so I cant recommend you which driver works best with TESO, but the new performance driver was supposed to give a nice boost in gaming).

You can also check your power settings in windows. Make sure its not put on power saving, but on standard or high performance.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/power-management

As for your temperature, well 100 is a lot indeed, but around 80-90 are still ok for these CPU´s. That said, I would always recommend a non boxed cooling solution.

Did you notice a CPU throttling? What I mean is, if you play for 10 or 20 minutes, does it get worse?

It is set to Max Performance in the NVIDIA Control Panel, latest drivers, and my power setting is High Performance. Also I forgot to post that I'm on a 100mbps line with 10mbps uploads so I know I'm fine on internet speed.

It doesn't seem to get worse the more I play and I've played for about 4 hours straight. It's just when I get to towns and such when it's the worst and at all times of the day, but I should be able to play on Ultra with this hardware. Running CPU-Z, the max CPU load while playing is about 15 - 20% so it's not really taxing or throttling the CPU it seems.
  • D34thly
    D34thly
    ✭✭
    Yea ALOT considering the thermal limit is 105c Hyper 212 should take it down alot, even more so at stock speeds, but haswell run really hot anyways. Even with stock cooler I see no reason your CPU should hit 100c gaming since this game uses like 10-25% CPU utilization. I'm pretty sure your heatsink isn't setting right. Make sure your turn off all power saving features and make sure nothing is forced via control panel. Its fairly random this game others with same system get killer FPS while others like yourself get shafted Its very strange. I suggest buying two new fans for your hyper 212 with good static pressure and this termal paste its the second best on the market atm and its way cheaper than Indigo Xtreme http://www.amazon.com/Phobya-HeGrease-Extreme-High-Permormance-Compound/dp/B0067M0ZAU. I also recommend using aftermarket fans since you can't get exact fan. You want your fans pushing and pulling so facing same direction and you don't want one pushing more cfm. I for one use these fans.. I'm not one for spending $37 on a fan. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103061
    Edited by D34thly on May 6, 2014 7:42PM
    Blacklist DC NA
    Iron Lotus DC NA
  • Tarwin
    Tarwin
    ✭✭✭
    Thats just wrong looking at the 3D Mark comment about your CPU

Have you checked your BIOS date and maybe a bios update is in order?

Version 1402
    Description MAXIMUS VI HERO BIOS 1402
    1. Improve system stability.
    2. Support New 4th-Generation Intel Core Processors
    3. Before using the new Intel 4th Gen Core processors, we suggest that you first update the BIOS using USB BIOS flashback, or download the BIOS updater for new Intel 4th Gen Core Processors and then update the BIOS using it.
    File Size 5.3 MBytesupdate 2014/03/14
    Download from Global

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VI_HERO/HelpDesk_Download/

If your board is bios version 1102 or lower, it isn't supporting your CPU properly

Shot in the dark
  • LariahHunding
    LariahHunding
    ✭✭✭✭
    Core parking was killing me on a Windows 7 computer.
    bitsum.com/about_cpu_core_parking.php

Download http://piriform.com/speccy/download. If you have core parking happening, it will show in the cpu info section (you can see the multipliers and clock speeds change).

Edited by LariahHunding on May 6, 2014 7:42PM
    "Give a man a sweet roll, he only has one to steal. Give him a sweet roll recipe, he have bunches to steal."

• albelnoxgm
    albelnoxgm
    Soul Shriven
    The Haswell series are notorious for it's tendency for heat. This is partly because the IHS is not soldered. The stock heatsink is not enough for the CPU, not by a long shot.

I've had my 4770K almost a year now and i've been very pleased with it. It's been running at 4.5GHz on water. I have H100i closed-loop and the temps while playing ESO at max settings vary between 60-65c so the temps are more than fine at those speeds. Definitely change the stock cooler.

If you're willing to try water solution, H80i and H100i are both very easy to install, low sound solutions. If you really want a fan, then Noctua NH-C14 or D14 are the best you can get.

Edit: The frame rate drops are normal in cities. There's no true full screen so any kind of rig will struggle in cities/crowded areas in full settings. My frame rate however is much better out in the wild. Your problem is partly due to high CPU heat.
    Edited by albelnoxgm on May 6, 2014 7:50PM
  • D34thly
    D34thly
    ✭✭
    Blacklist DC NA
    Iron Lotus DC NA
  • emoxxxkid
    emoxxxkid
    Soul Shriven
    Thats just wrong looking at the 3D Mark comment about your CPU

Have you checked your BIOS date and maybe a bios update is in order?

Version 1402
    Description MAXIMUS VI HERO BIOS 1402
    1. Improve system stability.
    2. Support New 4th-Generation Intel Core Processors
    3. Before using the new Intel 4th Gen Core processors, we suggest that you first update the BIOS using USB BIOS flashback, or download the BIOS updater for new Intel 4th Gen Core Processors and then update the BIOS using it.
    File Size 5.3 MBytesupdate 2014/03/14
    Download from Global

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VI_HERO/HelpDesk_Download/

If your board is bios version 1102 or lower, it isn't supporting your CPU properly

Shot in the dark

I will look into that. I just have the bios that was already on the MOBO. Here are some screen shots from the 3dmark test.

trnuj9pf4myb.jpg

vc1des57a4op.jpg

• Tarwin
    Tarwin
    ✭✭✭
    I notice your Solve PC flag is off. Is your device manager clean (as in drivers for everything installed?) As for your Bios, I would assume you have a more up to date version, usually you can easily see which version you have by looking at the box it came in next to the serial number

Saw another post about Addons and FPS. Are you running any addons right now?
  • Beldorr
    Beldorr
    ✭✭✭
    emoxxxkid wrote: »
    I'm using my stock heatsink my CPU temps during gameplay are about 90 - 100c. I know this is extremely high and bought a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO heatsink, but my question is, could this be the issue of having these performance issues?

Since the game is single core you'll never see 100% usage. While we dont have the same graphics card (I have a 7970) I have 100fps with about 5-6 mods installed.

90c-100c is very high for this CPU. On air I recall mine were around 60-70, on my water cooling 4.3gz OC’d 4770k sitting in the 40s with ESO and 50C with video rendering. Maybe there's no compound on the chip? I'd think the EVO should suffice.

As for parking, its a 4770k. meaning the CPU cores come unlocked for overclocking.

• emoxxxkid
    emoxxxkid
    Soul Shriven
    I'm using my stock heatsink my CPU temps during gameplay are about 90 - 100c. I know this is extremely high and bought a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO heatsink, but my question is, could this be the issue of having these performance issues?

Since the game is single core you'll never see 100% usage. While we dont have the same graphics card (I have a 7970) I have 100fps with about 5-6 mods installed.

90c-100c is very high for this CPU. On air I recall mine were around 60-70, on my water cooling 4.3gz OC’d 4770k sitting in the 40s with ESO and 50C with video rendering. Maybe there's no compound on the chip? I'd think the EVO should suffice.

As for parking, its a 4770k. meaning the CPU cores come unlocked for overclocking.

This is going to sound really dumb, but I was talking to my friend earlier about it and there was no compound with the stock cooler so I never put any on, which would be an added reason why it's running so hot even with the stock. I'll be getting the new heatsink tomorrow. Got a good thermal compound so we'll see how that improves things. I'll update the post, but if anyone else has any other ideas that would be great!
    I notice your Solve PC flag is off. Is your device manager clean (as in drivers for everything installed?) As for your Bios, I would assume you have a more up to date version, usually you can easily see which version you have by looking at the box it came in next to the serial number

The solve PC thing is for Windows Firewall, which I don't use at all. I just updated the bios, not really any change. I do run Addons, but the FPS is the same with them on or off. Like I said above, we'll see if this new heatsink helps when I get it tomorrow.

• Tarwin
    Tarwin
    ✭✭✭

This is going to sound really dumb, but I was talking to my friend earlier about it and there was no compound with the stock cooler so I never put any on, which would be an added reason why it's running so hot even with the stock. I'll be getting the new heatsink tomorrow. Got a good thermal compound so we'll see how that improves things. I'll update the post, but if anyone else has any other ideas that would be great!

The solve PC thing is for Windows Firewall, which I don't use at all. I just updated the bios, not really any change. I do run Addons, but the FPS is the same with them on or off. Like I said above, we'll see if this new heatsink helps when I get it tomorrow.

Fingers crossed!
  • Beldorr
    Beldorr
    ✭✭✭

Mistakes happen, glad you didn't fry a cpu from it. There are methods of using a heat sink without compound. It requires meticulous polishing to remove all the micro scratches on both the heat sink and the cpu. Compound just fills in the gap providing a better heat exchange :D

I highly recommend removing any manufacture compound and putting something better on.

Here is the compound I've been using: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007

Also, don't over do it! You don't want that stuff all over your board:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyXLu1Ms-q4

Edited by Beldorr on May 6, 2014 9:47PM
  • Saerydoth
    Saerydoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Um, 90-100C for the CPU is a PROBLEM. A SERIOUS problem. My 4770k barely hits 45C in this game (idle is around 28C). And the hottest I've ever observed it (a Prime95 stress test) was 60C. That right there is your issue. You need to get your CPU temperatures under control in a serious way. It's throttling to avoid frying itself, and that's why you're getting such low performance. I'd consider 80C the absolute max temperature you should EVER see on a CPU (and typically that only happens in cases like laptops where you just don't have the airflow you do on a desktop). A desktop shouldn't ever even get close to 80.
    Edited by Saerydoth on May 7, 2014 12:08AM
  • emoxxxkid
    emoxxxkid
    Soul Shriven
    Just an update after installing the new heatsink. Getting much better temps and am averaging about 60 fps in the cities now so that was definitely the issue! Thanks for all the help and everything to everyone!
  • D34thly
    D34thly
    ✭✭
    How are the temps now? Glad you got everything sorted the hyper 212 is a great budget cooler and can work great with upgraded fans even the stock fan should get you a huge drop in temperatures. Hopefully with hyper 212 and under load or gaming its staying under 65c
    Blacklist DC NA
    Iron Lotus DC NA
  • Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just an update after installing the new heatsink. Getting much better temps and am averaging about 60 fps in the cities now so that was definitely the issue! Thanks for all the help and everything to everyone!

Great to hear, enjoy your game ;)
  • emoxxxkid
    emoxxxkid
    Soul Shriven
    D34thly wrote: »
    How are the temps now? Glad you got everything sorted the hyper 212 is a great budget cooler and can work great with upgraded fans even the stock fan should get you a huge drop in temperatures. Hopefully with hyper 212 and under load or gaming its staying under 65c

It idles about 25 - 30c and on a 15 minute 100% load stress test it maxed out at 64c! So it's 100 times better now!
  • D34thly
    D34thly
    ✭✭
    Much much better glad you got it fixed also glad you didn't fry your $339 processor. Good thing it was intel as amd have much lower max temp TDP 65c I think. :)
    Edited by D34thly on May 8, 2014 3:14PM
    Blacklist DC NA
    Iron Lotus DC NA