The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Recipe Drop Rate, from furniture, Post patch 1.0.6

vyal
vyal
✭✭✭
I'm going to go ahead and speculate that this:

"
Itemization
The rate at which you can earn racial motifs and provisioning recipes from lootable containers and furniture has been slightly reduced.
"

From the Public Test Server patch notes, made it into 1.0.6, given the absolutely staggering reduction (slightly reduced? not really) in recipe drop rates starting today.

You thought motifs were expensive before? Brace yourself.
  • Jadakin
    Jadakin
    ✭✭✭
    How would you be able to gather enough information with a patch not even a day old to make this judgement? Are you basing this off of constantly logging in and out to get a new instance to get more stuff?
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's wait and see before freaking out.
    Anyway, I'm glad I got my Ancient Elf motif already.
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • BmcD73
    BmcD73
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed this too today and made my own post here: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/comment/755577#Comment_755577

Here is the meat of what I found-->

I decided to do a little test. Granted this is not very scientific and it's a small sample so take it with a grain of salt.

I ran around town and looted 21 different pieces of furniture or backpacks. I did this 6 times in a row by logging in, looting, then logging out. The first time logging in is at the top with the last time logging in at the bottom.

total objects with items (non-lockpicks)

total objects with lockpicks

total empty

total empty or with lockpicks
  • Catdrexion
    Catdrexion
    ✭✭✭
    For serious? They were rare enough already.
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Catdrexion wrote: »
    For serious? They were rare enough already.
    The green recipes were anything but rare... I would say a very significant portion of the gold I've made in-game came from selling them to merchants because I just kept on finding them.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • zhevon
    zhevon
    ✭✭✭✭
    The real problem is much that is in containers should should be dropping on some some mobs. I have maybe gotten 1 recipe and 1 motif off a mob.
  • BmcD73
    BmcD73
    ✭✭✭
    never received a motif or recipe off mob. I thought it was only possible to get those things from containers. that would actually be much better.
  • Beryl
    Beryl
    ✭✭✭
    After leveling my character V1- V6 I did not find a single motif. I do loot every dresser/urn/nightstand/backpack/etc on my way, I often return to larger building to give it another chance. I even tried relogging and farming as others do. Not a single motif in two weeks. Prior to that during levels 1-50 I found only 4 normal motifs, two of which were for my race.

My conclusion: a small (or big) reduction in the drop rate will not be noticed by me. However, if it will annoy and reduce the number of lucky motif farmers, I love this change.
  • bloodwulfe
    Sadly the lucky farmers pre patch more then likely saw this coming and have stock on the rare motifs. If you don't have a rare for your crafter now be prepared to offer your first born for one.
    Edited by bloodwulfe on May 1, 2014 1:24AM
  • BmcD73
    BmcD73
    ✭✭✭
    Beryl wrote: »
    My conclusion: a small (or big) reduction in the drop rate will not be noticed by me. However, if it will annoy and reduce the number of lucky motif farmers, I love this change.

Good point. As long as it doesn't affect you it's good. That is, of course, until they make the same type of decision that affects you. In which case it will be bad.

I have 2 primals atm. I was thinking I was going to sell them for like 15k today. That is until I noticed this change. They are easily worth 45k now. Deadric and Ancient Elf, probably around 100k.

• Daverios
    Daverios
    ✭✭✭✭
    BmcD73 wrote: »

Good point. As long as it doesn't affect you it's good. That is, of course, until they make the same type of decision that affects you. In which case it will be bad.

I have 2 primals atm. I was thinking I was going to sell them for like 15k today. That is until I noticed this change. They are easily worth 45k now. Deadric and Ancient Elf, probably around 100k.

Lol cause when they fixed the dupe tempering alloy shot back up to 10k right like it was before.

• Lupinemw
    Lupinemw
    ✭✭✭
    I picked up all my motifs in the first week of game play and until last night hadn't got one in 2-3 weeks.
    Elysium
    EU Casual Mature Daggerfall Covenant Guild

Would you like to know more?! Check us out below
    elysium-eso.guildlaunch.com
  • BmcD73
    BmcD73
    ✭✭✭
    Daverios wrote: »
    Lol cause when they fixed the dupe tempering alloy shot back up to 10k right like it was before.

Lol...Another good point...except for the fact that getting 3-4 already rare drops per day is not the same things as being able to create an infinite amount of legendary mats.

If you could create an unlimited amount of motifs then yes, the market would be flooded but you couldn't. The dupe bug required stacks of items and splitting those items. Books can't be stacked and therefore weren't/couldn't be duped. So they are still rare. Give it a week or two.

Once all the people that are selling actually realize that this change was put in and that they aren't getting the drops they once were, you will see them jack prices like crazy. Then you will have the majority of the population saying "LOL...I saw some guy selling that for 400g" or "You're and idiot, I bought my other motif for 10k" not knowing that it takes a week to get 1 book now if not longer. But they will learn quickly when they find no one selling the 1-9 motifs for under 2k or the rarer motifs for 40-100k. I bought 2 daedric and 2 primals yesterday and will hold on to them for just such and occasion.
  • Krym
    Krym
    ✭✭✭
    After leveling my character V1- V6 I did not find a single motif. I do loot every dresser/urn/nightstand/backpack/etc on my way, I often return to larger building to give it another chance. I even tried relogging and farming as others do. Not a single motif in two weeks. Prior to that during levels 1-50 I found only 4 normal motifs, two of which were for my race.

VR stuff is still b0rked, just look at the tier1 cooking mats.

in the 3-4 hours I played I found recipes and motifs with the same amount I did before, I don't think they nerfed it yet.

however, they stealthnerfed the price of provisioning items...
  • BmcD73
    BmcD73
    ✭✭✭
    Well they definitely changed something or else I just documented the most coincidental increase of empty containers. The change is already on PTS so my guess is it made its way into yesterday's patch.

The test I did today also suggests that the likelihood of empty/lockpick containers increases no matter where you are or what zone you go to. Granted, I wasn't playing per se. I was just running from one area to another looting all containers without logging to test my theory. It went from about 50% empty for the first 20 containers up to about 80% empty when I finished going through 6 different locations in 2 different zones.
  • ChaosTheoryCraft
    ChaosTheoryCraft
    Soul Shriven
    So glad I got my barbaric motif already
  • Violation2014
    Violation2014
    Soul Shriven
    All Zenimax did by nerfing the drop rates is make it easier for the gold spammers / sellers to be able to temp the normal players into their goods which is very saddening. daedric went from 50k to 150k+ was what i saw on a daedric auction 2 days ago. I wanted to cry. Yet I get 3-5 Gold spam Mails a day. I always report them but I still get them daily. Way to go Zenimax !!! Help the gold spammers by screwing the guys who try to level / play legitimately.
  • huntgod_ESO
    huntgod_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are pricey enough now, that were I to finally get one in a drop, I'd likely sell it, so I'd have enough gold to...well hmm, there really isn't anything to buy.
    --- HuntGod ---
    Officer of the Unrepentant
    www.unrepentantgaming.com
  • militabloodmane
    militabloodmane
    Soul Shriven
    Ok, first of all I'd like to get this back on the topic of Recipes, not motifs. There are plenty of other threads about motifs already.

I have noticed this decrease in the drop rate of recipes as well. Granted that green quality recipes were very easy to come by, but they should be since they are the basic requirement for doing anything in the provisioning craft in the first place. I'm not really sure why green is the lowest quality when the basic stuff should be white, unless it is to differentiate between something useful and the generic trash loot.

Anyway, for me this started after the patch on April 30. From different posts I've read, it seems to not be a consistant problem for everyone. This could be from a lot of factors like being on different servers, amount of time spent searching, etc. However, it really is an issue for some people. In my experience, I've gone from getting 1 blue quality recipe per hour on average to getting 1 per day. I have spent multiple days testing this out so please understand that I'm exaggerating on this point.

Another problem with recipes, which somewhat compounds the problem, is that you can only obtain recipes based on your character level. So in order to obtain all the recipes up to level 15 (which for one faction is 6 level 1 recipes, 6 level 5, 12 level 10, and 12 level 15), you must find them all before you reach level 16 or you will not be able to find them again unless you use an alternate character. Believe me, this is difficult to do when the recipes you get are completely random (and this was back before the decrease in drop rate).

Basically I'm just reiterating the fact that it is a problem for some people and it is a major problem for those of us that are trying to be a professional provisioner.