The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What to do with Tempering Alloys

Pppaul
Pppaul
So I'm nearing L50 and have been saving up Tempering Alloys and Grain Solvents. I had been thinking it would be a good investment to build a nice L50 weapon and improve it to Legendary level.

However, after reading other discussions I'm beginning to wonder if I should save the Alloys for improving other items (I'm hoping to raid in Craglorn).

Any thoughts from those already leveling through Vet levels?
  • Opioid
    Opioid
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly, I wouldn't bother with wasting the mats on bumping anything to legendary until VR10-12. I've been upgrading all the armor I craft for myself to green, weapons to blue for a bit of extra damage and that's it until I hit at least VR10, then I'll consider bumping some stuff to legendary.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saving for the "endgame" might not be as enjoyable as you think. Because ZOS is likely to bump the VR ranks even further with more adventure zones after Craglorn.
    Meaning, you'll sit on your tempers forever because you will always wait for the next expansion to use them.

Me, i started using them the moment i could.
    So what if my legendary level 16 axe becomes useless by level 20?
    I'll make another one when the time comes. Tempers are not *that* rare.
    ;-)
    Edited by SirAndy on April 30, 2014 6:02PM
  • SirPuppingtonVonHat
    SirPuppingtonVonHat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're thinking long-term, it will be a good idea to save them for your gear when you run trials; you'll need them. Just upgrade your gear when you find yourself stuck on something difficult.
    The Psijic Order
  • Laharl_Overlord
    Laharl_Overlord
    ✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    Saving for the "endgame" might not be as enjoyable as you think. Because ZOS is likely to bump the VR ranks even further with more adventure zones after Craglorn.
    Meaning, you'll sit on your tempers forever because you will always wait for the next expansion to use them.

Me, i started using them the moment i could.
    So what if my legendary level 16 axe becomes useless by level 20?
    I'll make another one when the time comes. Tempers are not *that* rare.
    ;-)

They're rare enough to not make legendary level 16 axes only to replace them at level 20. Unless you duplicated and have tons.
  • MkChkn
    MkChkn
    I haven't found them to be that rare and most only run about 1k with a little bargaining. I made a legendary set at 28 to help speed up leveling of alts. Haven't used them for VR gear yet since I'm only at VR2.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're rare enough to not make legendary level 16 axes only to replace them at level 20. Unless you duplicated and have tons.
    @Laharl_Overlord
    Really? Because you haven't found any i must be cheating? Wow ...

Yes, i found enough (without cheating) by level 16 to improve an axe to legendary.
    Why did i do that? Because i could!
    ;-)
  • Laharl_Overlord
    Laharl_Overlord
    ✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    @Laharl_Overlord
    Really? Because you haven't found any i must be cheating? Wow ...

Yes, i found enough (without cheating) by level 16 to improve an axe to legendary.
    Why did i do that? Because i could!
    ;-)

I didn't mean to imply you cheated. I used bad wording, my apologies.

I have plenty of tempering alloys, however I know they are rare enough that I don't want to use them for level 16 equipment. But each to their own.
  • Mansome
    Mansome
    ✭✭✭
    I was going to say if you don't want your tempers you can give them to me. :smiley:
  • cubansyrusb16_ESO
    cubansyrusb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Make a legendary VR 3 weapon it will last you to VR 7, make a VR 7 weapon it will last you till VR 10.

You will never need weapons in between.
  • Malediktus
    Malediktus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tempers sell for 4k each, complete waste to use them on anything else other than endgame items.
    @Malediktus --- Ebonheart Pact, EU-Megaserver
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be much more inclined to upgrade weapons to legendary than I would be to upgrade armour. You don't have to worry about massive repair costs on weapons, and as some others have pointed out, a legendary weapon will last you through a lot of play.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Brakkar
    Brakkar
    ✭✭✭
    I have a blue vr4 items with 3 3 set items, with white glyphs on all of them.
    I am vr7 now and have no problems with progress, quests or dungeons.
    I'd say leave them to make your Craiglorn entry gear or even wait for vr12.