The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

First BSOD on this comp after ESO crash

Mange
Mange
✭✭
Alright so over the last few days my ESO has been crashing, corrupting itself forcing me to use the repair multiple times, and just being out right weird. I run the game on high/ultra-high and always have with no computer issues. 15 minutes ago after crashing while running through Cyrodil, I got a memory dump blue screen follow up and my computer restarted claiming there wasn't a OS running. It restarted again and started up just fine.

All of my drivers are up to date, 90% sure my RAM didn't go bad all of a sudden, and my google chrome has also started giving errors prior to the blue screen. After a quick google search someone else has the exact same problem including their Chrome client/extentions crashing with no explanation. I've done a virus can with malewarebytes, a full one, and as suspected no viruses or anything serious.
Is there something I should know to avoid this happening? I am almost positive this is linked to ESO and it might be breaking my hardware somehow.
  • WylieCoyote1511
    WylieCoyote1511
    ✭✭✭
    Funny you should say that. I use Mozilla Firefox and was on it yesterday. It crashed two times in a row which it very rarely does. Then sure enough my pc said it has ran into a problem and needs to restart. Which btw is the first time ever it's done that.

So yeah, odd.
  • Seroczynski
    Seroczynski
    ✭✭✭
    I highly doubt this has anything to do with ESO.
    “To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.” ― Homer J. Simpson
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Mange: not sure how you can say that about your RAM, you can have no confidence in it if you're experiencing random crashes unless you've run a checker.

Also, suggesting a piece of software can "break" hardware is ludicrous, if software causes hardware to overheat, the most likely cause of random crashes and BSODs, then it's poor hardware design or faulty/dirty cooling systems.
    Edited by KerinKor on April 24, 2014 8:03AM
  • Mange
    Mange
    ✭✭
    KerinKor wrote: »

Also, suggesting a piece of software can "break" hardware is ludicrous...

Apparently you've never heard of Starcraft 2. I am positive it's being caused by ESO, call me what you like but I know computers well enough, as I build and repair them, to know that what's happening is being caused by the ESO client. Nothing is overheating in my computer while I play but software CAN cause you hardware errors when it gives windows errors or in SC2's case pushes your computer way past its limits, but this time I didn't mean to say breaking my hardware I should've said breaking my OS.

It's no coincidence I get my first blue screen after ESO crashes, like seconds after, so to say you doubt this has anything to do with ESO is kind of ignorant. Google it for yourself if you don't want to take my word for it. Hard to believe all of these people are coincidentally getting their first BSOD while playing ESO.

My first attempt at a solution will be going back down to the default high graphics since I played the entire beta and first two weeks of launch with it, without having any out of the ordinary problems.
    Edited by Mange on April 24, 2014 8:26AM
  • Mange
    Mange
    ✭✭
    Also one thing I feel I should mention, I've had Overwolf for months and played many games with it on. Overwolf is a simple overlay program that can be installed with teamspeak so you can manage the program with games. But this small overlay program somehow manages to put ESO at 1/5th of its usual performance when its up which is the oddest *** I've seen in a while. You would think I had on 3 ESO clients. Skype notifications lag the client in full screen as well but I'm assuming that's due to the program losing focus to Skype and acting as if it's minimized in the background for as long as the notification is there. But the overwolf client lag is completely bizarre to me.
    Edited by Mange on April 24, 2014 8:32AM
  • Raif
    Raif
    ✭✭✭
    That would be because currently, ESO is not supported. Is the dock inside your game? It shouldn't be unless you edited your gamelist to force it in.
    Overwolf Community Manager - Here to help in any way =)
    www.Overwolf.com
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mange wrote: »

Apparently you've never heard of Starcraft 2. I am positive it's being caused by ESO, call me what you like but I know computers well enough, as I build and repair them, to know that what's happening is being caused by the ESO client.
    Oh, you mean this problem:

http://www.pugetsystems.com/blog/2010/08/10/is-starcraft-2-breaking-video-cards/

I'll restate, software can't break ADEQUATELY DESIGNED hardware. That report clearly shows the HARDWARE WAS BADLY DESIGNED, don't blame the software for revealing lousy hardware.
    Edited by KerinKor on April 29, 2014 7:17AM
  • dwaightb16_ESO
    Why dont you tell us the bbcode?
  • ShintaiDK
    ShintaiDK
    ✭✭✭
    A game cannot create a BSOD. However a driver for example can. Or simply bad hardware from the start that fault when stressed.
    Edited by ShintaiDK on April 29, 2014 8:22AM
  • Mange
    Mange
    ✭✭
    Why dont you tell us the bbcode?

I've done everything possible to fix it, my heat sink was pretty dusty but since cleaning it, it has still happened once. The error code is similar to everyone else that gets the crash and usually revolves around ntfs.sys crashing. Apparently that's not something that's simple to pinpoint. Doesn't happen with any other game including GW2, Wildstar, DayZ and other modern titles. My temporary fix is to restart my computer immediately after a ESO crash to avoid the blue screen.
    Mange wrote: »

Apparently you've never heard of Starcraft 2. I am positive it's being caused by ESO, call me what you like but I know computers well enough, as I build and repair them, to know that what's happening is being caused by the ESO client.
    Oh, you mean this problem:

http://www.pugetsystems.com/blog/2010/08/10/is-starcraft-2-breaking-video-cards/

I'll restate, software can't break ADEQUATELY DESIGNED hardware. That report clearly shows the HARDWARE WAS BADLY DESIGNED, don't blame the software for revealing lousy hardware.
    No, I mean this problem.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/computers/is-starcraft-ii-bad-for-your-graphics-card/3454

You clearly did a search, how did you miss the very first url that pops up on google? lol

Edited by Mange on April 29, 2014 6:32PM
  • Saerydoth
    Saerydoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, noone can even speculate what the problem is without knowing what the BSOD was. You need to capture the BSOD and see what file the error occurred in, that will tell you where to start. Just FYI, applications cannot cause a BSOD. A BSOD can only be caused by software that runs in kernel mode. I can guarantee you that neither ESO nor any other game runs in kernel mode. The only things that do are things like drivers and internal Windows system files.

But like I said, providing which file the crash occurred in will give you a starting point to investigate.

EDIT: This thread provides some good troubleshooting steps for ntfs.sys crash: http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/198288-regular-bsod-ntfs-sys-common.html

Bad drivers and faulty antivirus programs are known for causing it, among other things.
    Edited by Saerydoth on April 29, 2014 7:08PM
  • Mange
    Mange
    ✭✭
    I didn't specify because the topic is old now and I don't need someone to tell me to take steps I've already taken to test for errors. I posted it in another topic about the BSOD but I do have WhoCrashed logs, I have run memtest twice in one go, I don't use any anti virus aside from Malwarebytes out of protection mode, all of my drivers are up to date and my gfx card hasn't had a new update since before ESO launched. I'm going to stick with my original speculation at this point and I won't worry about it until the temporary solution stops working. Thanks for trying though.