The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Throwing in the Towel | BAD FPS on Good PC

SkodaZek
SkodaZek
✭✭
Since launch I along with several others have done absolutely everything in an attempt to find a solution to this problem. But alas, nothing has panned out. (The occasional single poster provides some miracle fix that does not work for the rest of us, though I do hope that at least that poster him/herself has in fact found a solution that works for them).

Source thread:
http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/68062/low-fps-while-playing-with-a-gtx-760/p1

Personal Specs:

Windows 7 Pro x64 / Windows 8 Pro x64 / Windows 8.1 Pro x64 (At various points trying to solve issue)
Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.68 GHZ
6GB DDR3 (3x2GB in Triple Channel DIMM)
EVGA x58 Classified MB
EVGA Geforce GTX 680
Nvidia Driver 337.50 (Although tested various past versions)

I am not going to go into detail as to all the different attempted solutions (unparking cpu, drive wipe/format, even complete disassembly and cleaning of pc) but I can assure you, virtually anything that can be thought up has been done. Unfortunately I have come to the conclusion that without the source code for ESO there is nothing further that can be done at least in my case.

It got to a point that I needed a break, took a week off the game/trying to fix it, and returned today after several patches had been released. Logged in and noticed that I cannot get above 20 fps (Running Windows 8.1 at the time). So I logged out, wiped my hd. Installed Windows 7, etc etc. Downloaded installed client and after several hours I logged in yet again, and absolutely no gain. Cannot break 20fps.

In the week I have been gone, performance has gone from terrible to unbearable. Thus I am forced throw in the towel as there is nothing further I can do. It is now on the ESO Development team to fix this, but unfortunately they have yet to even acknowledge a problem (several support tickets/escelations in an attempt to obtain acknowledgement of the issue failed).

I hope the rest of you effected by this issue acquire yourselves a solution in some form or another.

Best of luck.
Sincerely,
Skoda Zek - Dragonknight
We have contacted our Customer support team to help you solve your issue.
  • WylieCoyote1511
    WylieCoyote1511
    ✭✭✭
    While I don't quite have the bad fps you have, I get 25-30 in Daggerfall etc, I agree with what you're saying.

Not sure what the issue is, but they really need to bring in the true full screen mode asap.
  • stylernaku
    stylernaku
    ✭✭✭
    Please DO NOT FEED THE TROLL. Just leave thread be to die.
  • WylieCoyote1511
    WylieCoyote1511
    ✭✭✭
    stylernaku wrote: »

How is he a troll? Lots of people are having this issue!

• Pelerin2014
    Pelerin2014
    ✭✭✭
    stylernaku wrote: »

How is he a troll? Lots of people are having this issue!

Agreed, I don't think he's a troll - just frustrated with the games performance.
    Pelarius, Imperial Dragonknight of the Aldmeri Dominion.
  • Dalexx
    Dalexx
    ✭✭✭
    SkodaZek wrote: »
    It got to a point that I needed a break, took a week off the game/trying to fix it, and returned today after several patches had been released. Logged in and noticed that I cannot get above 20 fps (Running Windows 8.1 at the time). So I logged out, wiped my hd. Installed Windows 7, etc etc. Downloaded installed client and after several hours I logged in yet again, and absolutely no gain. Cannot break 20fps.
    Best of luck.

That is kinda crazy. I'm have a performance issue, but not nearly that bad. I have two fairly powerful systems an AMD FX8350 and a Intel i7-2600k. I have a GTX 780 that I move between them. The AMD system gets a constant 15-20 fps lower than the intel system with much lower drops into the 30s. My Intel system stay mostly in the 80s and not uncommon to hang out at 100 fps, AMD never breaks 75

The AMD system is dual boot to win7 and Win8 both have the same poor performance, I imagine we tried all the same fixes with drivers, chipsets, game resinstalls..etc..etc. As I noted in another thread, I can run Battlefield 4 on the AMD system, Ultra settings and it's within 5fps of the Intel system. Same for most all the benchmarks from Futuremark and Unigine.

Whatever the difference is, I can't get the AMD system to behave as well as the Intel
  • Oddypop
    Oddypop
    ✭✭
    I have the same specs as OP, except that I have 16gb ram. No problems whatsoever though
  • Saerydoth
    Saerydoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dalexx wrote: »
    Best of luck.

That is kinda crazy. I'm have a performance issue, but not nearly that bad. I have two fairly powerful systems an AMD FX8350 and a Intel i7-2600k. I have a GTX 780 that I move between them. The AMD system gets a constant 15-20 fps lower than the intel system with much lower drops into the 30s. My Intel system stay mostly in the 80s and not uncommon to hang out at 100 fps, AMD never breaks 75

The AMD system is dual boot to win7 and Win8 both have the same poor performance, I imagine we tried all the same fixes with drivers, chipsets, game resinstalls..etc..etc. As I noted in another thread, I can run Battlefield 4 on the AMD system, Ultra settings and it's within 5fps of the Intel system. Same for most all the benchmarks from Futuremark and Unigine.

Whatever the difference is, I can't get the AMD system to behave as well as the Intel

That's actually about right. The i7-2600k is that much stronger than the FX-8350. 15-20FPS is about right for the difference between them.
  • Valco
    Valco
    ✭✭
    Not sure if this helps but my wife had the same trouble and we played with the in-game settings and found out it was the particle density setting. We ended up putting it on medium and no more weird lag and her fps bumped up by 10 or more fps. Worth a try maybe?
  • Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Sounds about right to me.

The FX is not that good sadly for MMO´s, as it would require the TESO client to address all cores equally. This however doesn't happen, core 1 is usually at 90% while the others are around 20-30%. Since the single core performance of AMD is behind those of Intel you experience a huge difference. BF does utilize all cores a lot better, but its also not that demanding on the CPU like an MMO.

As example,

I run the game on a 2500k with an 6970 and don't drop below 30 at all and usually run at around 40-50 steady fps. I play on ultra with everything on max.
    Personal Specs:

Windows 7 Pro x64 / Windows 8 Pro x64 / Windows 8.1 Pro x64 (At various points trying to solve issue)
    EVGA x58 Classified MB
    EVGA Geforce GTX 680

Could you check if your NVidia card is changing the power state while you play? Does it throttle down in MHz lets say from performance to idle or something?

I ask this because another guy at the forum has that issue and you could try to force a performance power state on your card and see if that helps.
  • wrlifeboil
    wrlifeboil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Assuming he did go through all the various "permutations" including a hdd setup with only his os and the game, then his internet connection must be bad. Nothing ZOS can do about that.
  • SkodaZek
    SkodaZek
    ✭✭
    My net connection is solid, 250mbit both ways. For example the ESO client downloaded at 9 megs a second.

I also forgot to mention that both my CPU and GPU never go above 45% usage when ESO is running.
    Sincerely,
    Skoda Zek - Dragonknight
  • SkodaZek
    SkodaZek
    ✭✭
    WOW!!!

http://ultimatewindows7gamingoptimization.blogspot.ca/

Just followed this guide for the hell of it as one more final ditch effort and TADA!! 70FPS on 100% MAX SETTINGS holding SOLID.

I AM IN UTTER SHOCK CURRENTLY.

My apologies for the caps (yelling) but this is a huge deal for me as I have put a good 30 or more hours of combined troubleshooting into this.

Finally I am going to go play this game!!
    Sincerely,
    Skoda Zek - Dragonknight
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW!!!

Just followed this guide for the hell of it as one more final ditch effort and TADA!! 70FPS on 100% MAX SETTINGS holding SOLID.

My apologies for the caps (yelling) but this is a huge deal for me as I have put a good 30 or more hours of combined troubleshooting into this.

Any idea which change you made helped the most? I am guessing a CPU change as the game (like most mmo's) uses CPU very heavily. Did you make changes en masse or 1 at a time?

• SkodaZek
    SkodaZek
    ✭✭
    did them en masse
    Sincerely,
    Skoda Zek - Dragonknight
  • Saerydoth
    Saerydoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Still, that doesn't change the fact that the i7-2600k is *significantly* stronger than the FX-8350. As in, about 20% stronger.
  • wrlifeboil
    wrlifeboil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My net connection is solid, 250mbit both ways. For example the ESO client downloaded at 9 megs a second.

I also forgot to mention that both my CPU and GPU never go above 45% usage when ESO is running.

Nope. The download server isn't necessarily in the same location as the game server so the speed of your download of the client software doesn't prove anything. ZOS has cdns to provide the downloads at least the original files.

Your "250mbit" connection both ways statement doesn't mean anything either without posting your pathping and tracert.
  • Syntse
    Syntse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Generally I think this game doesn't use all the possible resources your PC might have available. As long as you have required or above specs you'll be running like 25-30fps in towns and maybe 50-60 elsewhere.

For some odd reason in beta my fps was better than in the final product. Basically I should be able to play this game with fps 60-120 depending on the population. Anyway in reality the numbers are pretty much the ones stated above.

(Specs: i5-4670k 3.4GHz, GTX 780, 8Gb 1600MHz DDR3, Samsung840 EVO 500Gb SSD)
    Syntse Dominion Khajiit Dragonknight Stamina Tank [50]
    Ra'Syntse Dominion Khajiit Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
    Syntselle Dominion Dark Elf Dragonknight Magica DPS [50]
    Syntseus Dominion Imperial Templar Healer [50]
    Syntsetar Dominion High Elf Sorcerer Magica DPS [50]
    Friar Tuktuk Daggerfall Brenton Templar Healer [50]
    Syntseyn Ebonheart Brenton Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
  • reActionHank
    reActionHank
    Soul Shriven
    WOW!!!

I'm curious did you disable hyper threading?

• Dalexx
    Dalexx
    ✭✭✭
    Saerydoth wrote: »
    Still, that doesn't change the fact that the i7-2600k is *significantly* stronger than the FX-8350. As in, about 20% stronger.

Well, after digging around some more, there are some benchmarks that paint the 8350 in a pretty bad light. Oddly,I thought it was a better processor than that. Glad it's not my main gaming system.

Just really interesting that I don't see the performance difference under Battlefield 4. Guess I'll run the benchmarks on my son's i5-3570K and see how it does. If it wins too, not sure why anyone would spend $200 on a AMD chip over a $200 intel chip.
    Edited by Dalexx on April 23, 2014 7:37PM
  • SkodaZek
    SkodaZek
    ✭✭
    WOW!!!

I'm curious did you disable hyper threading?

Nope, HT is still active.

I should also mention that the game is still using only part of available resources (only about 50-70% of CPU and GPU now on average) but that is a whole let better than the 30% it was using before. Honestly the aforementioned tweaks I did does not really explain how this had such a positive effect on the game performance but they say you should not look a gift horse in the mouth. Except of course when that gift horse may in fact help others. Therefor I am more than willing to answer any questions regarding the methods I took to achieve such a massive boost in performance in hopes that it will help others.

P.S. I am also convinced that true fullscreen would provide a fix for nearly everyone suffering from this problem and I know that this is coming, although I have no idea when.

Sincerely,
    Skoda Zek - Dragonknight
  • rdfarley89
    rdfarley89
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure what you did but strange. My specs are as follows

AMD Phenom II x4 965 OC at 4.4ghz
    dual Radeon 6890s oc at 950mhz core 1250mhz mem
    16GB DDR3
    Windows 7 Pro (dual boot Xubuntu)

No problems, none. Even in high pop areas I get around 50-70fps. And I admit my system is very outdated. Looks like your system is top of the line. I have all my graphics settings at high/ultra including particle density and view distance. Dunno if it is the fact I have dual cards, am overclocking due to liquid cooling, or just the fact that this game has been in production for so long that maybe it doesn't handle well on new systems. But glad to see you were able to get it running properly.

And yes...I mentioned dual booting with Xubuntu just to make myself feel cooler as a Linux user. To balance out though not only am I a master of bash but also of Powershell...
  • reActionHank
    reActionHank
    Soul Shriven
    Skoda how does PC handle Cyrodill? My frames are fine everywhere, except for large scale PvP battles where it dips to 20-30 fps.
  • Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dalexx wrote: »

Well, after digging around some more, there are some benchmarks that paint the 8350 in a pretty bad light. Oddly,I thought it was a better processor than that. Glad it's not my main gaming system.

Just really interesting that I don't see the performance difference under Battlefield 4. Guess I'll run the benchmarks on my son's i5-3570K and see how it does. If it wins too, not sure why anyone would spend $200 on a AMD chip over a $200 intel chip.

BF4 utilizes all cores, TESO doesn't. Plus BF4 is a single player game with a multiplayer aspect, you cant compare this to an MMO with hundred´s or players and extreme demanding graphics (number of object´s, light sources, foliage...)
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not necessarily disagreeing with you but do you mean just for this game or in general?

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
    http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu-charts-2013/-04-3DMark11,3157.html
    http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu-charts-2013/-20-Crysis-II,3175.html

Just a few examples showing how close the 2 of them are in a couple synthetics and a real game comparison (Crysis 2)

Note however that the FX chip is over $100 cheaper.

• WylieCoyote1511
    WylieCoyote1511
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, my FX 8350 is great, just *** in this game.
  • Dalexx
    Dalexx
    ✭✭✭
    Audigy wrote: »
    BF4 utilizes all cores, TESO doesn't. Plus BF4 is a single player game with a multiplayer aspect, you cant compare this to an MMO with hundred´s or players and extreme demanding graphics (number of object´s, light sources, foliage...)

Well, one of the complaints about BF4 is that it does a poor job of using all the cores as well, though it appears it does a better job than ESO. I have to giggle at your comment that BF4 was a single player game with multiplayer aspect. Only recently, did the Battlefield series get any single player aspect. Before, you either played on-line or you played with bots.

But let's not side track here. What I was comparing is that I went out into a empty area, I climbed on top of a building and looked out over the horizon. To have a 20 fps drop, just seems really odd to me. Running around in the world the drops in performance just feels to wide. On the Intel, I rarely drop below 60, AMD will drop all the way into the 30s and this is just riding around a fairly empty area.

But the other benchmarks I found did show the AMD lagging 20+ fps behind in many cases. Maybe this is a way to highlight games that aren't optimized for multicores very well.
    Just a few examples showing how close the 2 of them are in a couple synthetics and a real game comparison (Crysis 2)

Note however that the FX chip is over $100 cheaper.

Problem is, that's old data and things have changed. Over the Christmas holidays I got the i5-3570K for for $200 to upgrade my son's system. I put the 780GTx in it and ran my test. Like the 2600K, it gave me a constant 75-80 fps. This makes the bang for the buck argument pretty tough. Even if I had to choose between a $200 FX8350 or a $220 3570K (price is back up) I'd gladly pay $20 more for a 20 fps gain. Probably the cheapest 20 fps boost you could get.
    Edited by Dalexx on April 25, 2014 1:22PM
  • stryderzz
    stryderzz
    ✭✭✭
    Since launch I along with several others have done absolutely everything in an attempt to find a solution to this problem. But alas, nothing has panned out. (The occasional single poster provides some miracle fix that does not work for the rest of us, though I do hope that at least that poster him/herself has in fact found a solution that works for them).

Source thread:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/68062/low-fps-while-playing-with-a-gtx-760/p1

Personal Specs:

EVGA x58 Classified MB
    EVGA Geforce GTX 680

I am not going to go into detail as to all the different attempted solutions (unparking cpu, drive wipe/format, even complete disassembly and cleaning of pc) but I can assure you, virtually anything that can be thought up has been done. Unfortunately I have come to the conclusion that without the source code for ESO there is nothing further that can be done at least in my case.

In the week I have been gone, performance has gone from terrible to unbearable. Thus I am forced throw in the towel as there is nothing further I can do. It is now on the ESO Development team to fix this, but unfortunately they have yet to even acknowledge a problem (several support tickets/escelations in an attempt to obtain acknowledgement of the issue failed).

I hope the rest of you effected by this issue acquire yourselves a solution in some form or another.

Best of luck.

i have the same issue! similar specs above recommended settings similar graphics card and STILL LOW FPS AND RANDOM LAG! i contacted CS and all they seem to do is run me through a few very basic procedures that i've tried myself and nothing seems to work, ZOS fix your game, its really irritating spending 120 DOLLARS on a game (not to mention the cost of a decent pc so i wouldn't lag in the first place) and having this horrible annoying lag....i really just want this fixed already...