The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)

Visual ugliness

Aektann
Aektann
✭✭✭✭
So it's time to bring up this topic.
Why are some shoulder pads sit where they should on the character's shoulders, and some are inappropriately far from they proper plase?

This is normal
mziq0ra2u10n.png

And this is meh
21048pm8pxzr.png

• SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just hide shoulders.
    PCNA
  • Aektann
    Aektann
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just hide shoulders.

This is a treatment for symptoms and i would like the developers to cure the disease
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't disagree, but after 10 years of this, plus hip flaps that hover completely away from the body I don't see it happening.
    PCNA
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    i agree it's annoying,
    But we have the option to hide shoulders now so i hide them or use a style that has no issues.
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It’d be nice if we could get a slider for shields, staves, and shoulders. Push the shoulders in/out, staves up/down, and shields big/small…
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • Aektann
    Aektann
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't disagree, but after 10 years of this, plus hip flaps that hover completely away from the body I don't see it happening.

You're right they won't fix anything.
    It's just sad that you can't use so many styles in outfit.
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭
    Body characteristics.

Your first one is in fact broken (or others like that) on most of my characters, because they're short and slim, causing the pads to appear floating.
  • UGotBenched91
    UGotBenched91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah it amazes me how bad clipping and lack of consistency in armors and dyes is. Games that came out 10+ years before eso do it better.
  • TybaltKaine
    TybaltKaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Different weights and materials are designed to sit differently. Differences in body shape and proportions, and using styles that flat out aren't meant to work together. I don't have any issues with those particular shoulders, as I almost always use them on medium or heavy weight armor.

Pauldrons are going to look silly on robes, and epaulets are going to look silly on plate mail.

EDIT: and yes, that is a new moon priest heavy chest, but even the pauldrons that match look silly on it. Better to use things that feel more "clothy" if that makes sense.

For the curious, the Skyterror Shoulders match closest with the Elder Dragon Hunter style, which was a crown store style from a few years back.
    Edited by TybaltKaine on March 24, 2024 8:37PM
    • Tybalt Kaine Khajiit Nightblade Aldmeri Dominion
    • PC/NA
    • Guildmaster- Lucky Raven
    • Knight of Marrow - Blackfeather Academy
    • Adepti- The Witches Goblet
    • Dragon Frog - Butterscotch Dragon Frog
    • "Nightblade healer huh? How does that work?"
    • "I drain the blood of our enemies and fire it into you. It's a lot less messy than it sounds, and yeah I'm basically a Vampire without the whole AGH FIRE BAD"
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's annoying. Often I hide shoulders on outfits, but sometimes I actually want to use a shoulder style on them, but then that gets trashed because the shoulders that fit or I had in mind either float decimeters away from the shoulders, or sit out on the edge, or actually clip into the shoulders.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hide shoulders on every girl, because they are all very slim and generally tall - and shoulders just don't work with that body style.
    Edited by TaSheen on March 25, 2024 1:05AM

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • furiouslog
    furiouslog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually like single monster shoulders for my lady toons, although this one is using that flower thinger.

wiew5tjbmxk1.png
  • Aektann
    Aektann
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pauldrons are going to look silly on robes, and epaulets are going to look silly on plate mail.

You're actually wrong. We have a variety of pauldrons that sit closer to the shoulders and epaulets that fly in the air. And i'm not talking about mixed-style outfits. In one particular style in one weight we can see flying shoulder pads.
    There's no logic in it it's just a poor implementation.
    Edited by Aektann on March 25, 2024 4:33AM
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was expecting a screenshot of a fat, drunk Nord
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use heavy mazzatun shoulders and light fang lair chest. Looks good to me. You *can* mix and match, just gotta check dyes as some look different on cloth VS plate.
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

AND belt buckles

:#
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s because each piece was designed to work with the corresponding chest piece of the same weight. You only run into this problem when mixing certain motifs. Many pieces still work well together, and part of the challenge of ESO fashion is figuring out which pieces work well together.

It would be great if the motif system was truly universal, such that every piece fits well with every other piece, but that’s just not how it was designed.
  • Anumaril
    Anumaril
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just hide shoulders.

Same. As time goes on I feel like shoulders have gotten more World of Warcraft-y, and it's so annoying. Only a few motifs per chapter have nicely-proportioned shoulders.

So hiding them is often best. I think I've got them hidden in 9 of the 10 outfit slots I have on my character.
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like hiding them, my shoulders look too narrow to do so.
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Aurielle wrote: »
    It’s because each piece was designed to work with the corresponding chest piece of the same weight. You only run into this problem when mixing certain motifs. Many pieces still work well together, and part of the challenge of ESO fashion is figuring out which pieces work well together.

It would be great if the motif system was truly universal, such that every piece fits well with every other piece, but that’s just not how it was designed.

no it is not just with mixed styles.
    some styles don't even work with themselves
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LunaFlora wrote: »
    Aurielle wrote: »

no it is not just with mixed styles.
    some styles don't even work with themselves

Fair enough. :D Yes, not all motifs were constructed with care to reduce clipping or floating with other pieces of the same motif in the same weight... most are, though.