The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Stale Metas?

Remathilis
Remathilis
✭✭✭✭✭
Is it my imagination or has the ESO meta essentially been the same for the last two years?

If you ask people what is considered top tier, you get a lot of the same answers as you did in 2022. The PvE players use the same skills and sets despite a year of new and changed items. PVP plays the same tanky builds. The only exception is the arcanist showing up as everyone's new hotness, but unless your opting for green rays, You're basically playing the same as you did during High Isle.

Why? Have the 2023/24 sets so far not made enough of an impact? Have the skill reworks ultimately been a wash in terms of power? Has hybridization solved the meta in such a way nothing will break it? Are we just all tired of the grind and decided Rele/pillar is never going to be topped? Or is the meta such a confusing mess right now nobody actually knows what is best so we're just sticking with what works?

• Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don’t think its a bad thing, there were lots of complaints about swinging meta shifts making content creators create new builds and everyone having to farm new gear. It also leads to more power creep. That said, the changes to status effects are currently beginning to influence meta and scribing certainly will as well.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It was tiring when meta changed after a couple of months. Farming is not that fun.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • WhosTheFancyOneNow
    WhosTheFancyOneNow
    ✭✭✭
    what happens to a meta when it goes stale?
    is it then a neta?
    or maybe it regresses in service of its ego and becomes a beta?

might it meta-stasize?
    Edited by WhosTheFancyOneNow on March 17, 2024 6:12PM
  • TybaltKaine
    TybaltKaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think a stable meta is fine, so long as there are other sets that can come close and allow for build variety. To me, that is the biggest issue. I've also long thought that the shifting meta was less about things changing and more about sets being equally powered coming to the fore and being declared the "new meta".

That's not to say that there weren't some extreme shifts, but in some cases the sets were the same, just in different combinations, if that makes sense. It seemed like someone found a combo that worked for them, and everyone copied it, even if it wasn't quite meta, but close enough to not matter.

I'd rather a stable top tier of sets and combos to choose from than a copy paste build that everyone runs regardless of content and playstyle. Everything else in the game should be viable too, just not as efficient.

Most efficient tactic available and all that jazz.

Just my input.
    • Tybalt Kaine Khajiit Nightblade Aldmeri Dominion
    • PC/NA
    • Guildmaster- Lucky Raven
    • Knight of Marrow - Blackfeather Academy
    • Adepti- The Witches Goblet
    • Dragon Frog - Butterscotch Dragon Frog
    • "Nightblade healer huh? How does that work?"
    • "I drain the blood of our enemies and fire it into you. It's a lot less messy than it sounds, and yeah I'm basically a Vampire without the whole AGH FIRE BAD"
  • AnduinTryggva
    AnduinTryggva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was tiring when meta changed after a couple of months. Farming is not that fun.

Exactly and I think it is a great and wise decision to have stopped that farm urge to get the new meta.

I think the development should be not to have a new meta every x months but to add more possibilities to create a meta.

I hope scribing will do that.

I understand that in the past they wanted this hunger for the new sets in order to incite a larger population to do these dungeons and trials and thus make finding groups easier.

Now with the antiquity system and maybe with scribing and new motifs they can create enough incentives for people to run a dungeon and not to chase after the latest meta set.
    Edited by AnduinTryggva on March 17, 2024 7:41PM
  • Remathilis
    Remathilis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't get me wrong, I disliked chasing new Meta as well, but I kinda feel the opposite isn't all that healthy either.

Most of the new sets from the last few dungeon dlc (including the one that just came out) has been met with a collective shrug. Most of Sanity's Edge is likewise not been making waves. You ask raid leads and check build guides and you see the same culprits: TT, Naz, Rele, Pillar, Pillagers, etc. All stuff that is from High Isle or earlier. Nobody is farming those new dungeons or trials much.

Likewise, the sorcerer just got a major update on it, and nobody much has cared outside of some weird shield PVP tanky build that goes along with all the other tanky PVP builds. Every few months, ZoS opts to upend some classes abilities and in the end, the tier list looks exactly the same as it did last patch.

I don't want volatile metas that change every patch, but it would be nice when the patch notes come out that there is something interesting to look forward to. Even if that was rebalancing some sets to make them alternatives to the same half-dozen sets everyone uses regardless of class or built.
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Remathilis wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I disliked chasing new Meta as well, but I kinda feel the opposite isn't all that healthy either.

Most of the new sets from the last few dungeon dlc (including the one that just came out) has been met with a collective shrug. Most of Sanity's Edge is likewise not been making waves. You ask raid leads and check build guides and you see the same culprits: TT, Naz, Rele, Pillar, Pillagers, etc. All stuff that is from High Isle or earlier. Nobody is farming those new dungeons or trials much.

Likewise, the sorcerer just got a major update on it, and nobody much has cared outside of some weird shield PVP tanky build that goes along with all the other tanky PVP builds. Every few months, ZoS opts to upend some classes abilities and in the end, the tier list looks exactly the same as it did last patch.

I don't want volatile metas that change every patch, but it would be nice when the patch notes come out that there is something interesting to look forward to. Even if that was rebalancing some sets to make them alternatives to the same half-dozen sets everyone uses regardless of class or built.

I do really think zos should go and re-balance a bunch of proc sets around pillar of nirn. But yeah, the only new gear we've had in this past year that's interesting for PvE at all is Ansuul.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • oldbobdude
    oldbobdude
    ✭✭✭✭
    I never pay attention to “meta”. I’m just not that good of a player to bother. I do miss weaves a lot, I don’t have perfected trial gear and don’t think wipe after wipe after wipe in a vet trial progression group is fun. For those that do - good. They’re better players than me.
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would like something other than roaring opportunist
  • BXR_Lonestar
    BXR_Lonestar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the meta is stale, its due in part to hybridization. It consolidated both Stamina and Mag meta's into a single meta, and now all high-end DPS use a selection of 5-6 sets/monster sets/mythics.

But as far as healing and tanking have gone, the meta has changed. Two years ago, meta for healers was boosting offensive stats (of course) + group sustain, and I see now more often groups are looking for offensive stat buff + ulti-generation (pillagers, transformative hope, etc.).

As for tanking, with the introduction of the Arcanist, you no longer need Yolnakriin or another source of minor courage, so MT setups have focused on maximizing boss armor debuff and providing a source of major vulnerability.

So DPS meta may not have changed, but the sets I'm using on support have changed in the past 2 years.
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    U35 caused me to lose all appetite for 'meta shifts'.

We have had a stable period that has allowed for progging without the looming threat of massive swings resetting the progression every major patch (which is what U35 inflicted upon many of us).

I personally am completely fine with this. Some groups need more time to prog than others.

• El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ApoAlaia wrote: »
    U35 caused me to lose all appetite for 'meta shifts'.

We have had a stable period that has allowed for progging without the looming threat of massive swings resetting the progression every major patch (which is what U35 inflicted upon many of us).

I personally am completely fine with this. Some groups need more time to prog than others.

Completely agree. If there were to be a "meta shift" it should only be making more sets viable instead of making meta sets less useful. Although, the shifts are easier with the sticker book.

Using stamina as an example, I remember when Vicious Serpent + TFS was the meta for stamina. Took forever to farm the pieces you needed. Then Relequen came along. Looking back on it, that was probably the best time in ESO as there were several alternatives to pair with Relequen that you could use depending on your build. Berserking Warrior, Ravager (before it got completely nuked), Queen's Elegance (inexplicable change to make it useless), Briarheart, Leviathan (crit cap casualty), Red Mountain, Spelunker (just kidding, its always been awful), and Tzvogins. Even Venomous Smite was a viable set for an update.

For a second there, War Machine and Perfected Lokkes were a great sets. Then Lokkes got nerfed it into pointlessness, and War Machine was an after-thought (until recently), which is the pattern. Then, for whatever reason, Nirn became the second set to wear with everything.

Its got to the point that the only PVE damage DD I run is a stamina Arcanist with Perfected Ansuul's and Deadly Strike. Not going to go out an re-equip my alts with that or Coral or Sul Xan or Whorl or whatever the meta is now. Just not worth it.
    Edited by El_Borracho on March 18, 2024 7:56PM
  • xDeusEJRx
    xDeusEJRx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stale meta is primarily due to hybridization and it's consequences. Hybridization just has a lot of classes or builds running similar setups without having to think much about switching up because almost everything works on every class.

The only defining difference is some classes are noticeably stronger than others balance wise so the stronger classes utilize them better.

Another reason why things are stale is because ZoS still refuses to update or standardize underutilized skills and passives that are long dated. There are tons of class skills and passives that are extremely outdated or require updates to fit the current state of the game. Like Templar Nova for example, it's odd to me "Major maim" is considered an Ultimate tier debuff despite there being many sources of regular skills and sets that have access to major maim now. But zos refuses to standardize and update lesser used skills like that, which just leaves a bunch of "dead skills" that no one wants to bother with. Which IMO is another consequence of hybridization, because these skills no longer have a use since people can opt to use mag/stam skills.

I'd love to see zos actually standardize some less used skills to make them fit the current state of the game.
    Solo PvP'er PS5 NA player

90% of my body is made of Magblade