The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)

Would it be possible to place Alt characters inside homes, and swap between them via interaction?

Avran_Sylt
Avran_Sylt
✭✭✭✭✭
Seems like it should be possible, given that Homes do support other players and their character information being loaded inside at the same time.

Even if there was a momentary black screen, it would be a nice thematic way of doing so rather than exiting to character selection: port to the respective home(s), and interact with the chosen character.
  • AnduinTryggva
    AnduinTryggva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a nice idea. It could be like sending out another character on a mission while one rests. Could give it a nice rpg touch.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes. This is very possible.

However, it is most unlikely it will happen as it would take a lot of work to create a new system for changing characters yet provide very little benefit.

• Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »

However, it is most unlikely it will happen as it would take a lot of work to create a new system for changing characters yet provide very little benefit.

Given how Housing is still heavily invested in, and how companions haven't fallen off the map, it wouldn't surprise me if they could find a benefit in creating a Crown Store Housing NPC that is one of your characters (of course not appearing while said character), giving a greater sense that your characters are distinct from one another, building a "clan", mercenary group, etc.

If it allows swapping between characters without the need for UI hopping, even better.
    Edited by Avran_Sylt on March 17, 2024 12:31PM
  • Tenthirty2
    Tenthirty2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOVE this idea! :)
    • "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs - horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
    • "When my time comes, I will smile. And that will be all." -Sir Nathain Galien
    • IGN: TenThirty2 (PC/PS: NA, PC/PS: EU)
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not seeing the benefit. It's not hard to just log a character off then log a different one on.

Each of my characters has their own home that suits their personalities and that is where they log off at the end of the day. I am also not sure if my characters even know each other so it would be strange for one to log into their home and see a stranger roaming around their property.
    PCNA
  • Pixiepumpkin
    Pixiepumpkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stellar idea!

This would allow for:
    • Easily swapping between alts (great for "swapping to healer" for trials)
    • Increased house functionality, something housing is sorely missing (outside of crafting stations, there is little going on)
    • Alts to be used as house guests, which would liven up the space with our own characters for our own stories
    • Additional fun, which is what its all about :smile:
    "𝕰𝖛𝖊𝖓 𝕲𝖔𝖉𝖘 𝖉𝖎𝖘𝖑𝖎𝖐𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖆𝖇𝖘𝖔𝖑𝖚𝖙𝖊, 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖎𝖙 𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖐𝖘 𝖔𝖋 𝖘𝖔𝖒𝖊𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖑𝖆𝖗𝖌𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖒𝖘𝖊𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖘." ― Sotha Sil
    PC/NA
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Avran_Sylt wrote: »

Given how Housing is still heavily invested in, and how companions haven't fallen off the map, it wouldn't surprise me if they could find a benefit in creating a Crown Store Housing NPC that is one of your characters (of course not appearing while said character), giving a greater sense that your characters are distinct from one another, building a "clan", mercenary group, etc.

If it allows swapping between characters without the need for UI hopping, even better.

This brings up a great point since not everyone owns a home. It means this would require a new system be developed and it would mandate having both the current system and the new system working at the same time. That is two systems doing the same thing and both having to communicate with a completely different server. At a time Zenimax is trying to find a way to increase servers and has noted that the addition of new systems over the years has negatively impacted performance this becomes another reason why it is unlikely Zenimax will make this happen.

Yes, changing characters does require the main aspect of the gaming server to communicate with a different server.

And as I said in the portion of my previous statement, Zenimax surely can make this happen. That is a certainty. I am just noting why it is unlikely. Nothing more than that.

Edit: made a correction as I thought my first sentence had been edited out.
    Edited by Amottica on March 19, 2024 5:18AM
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This brings up a great point since not everyone owns a home. It means this would require a new system be developed and it would mandate having both the current system and the new system working at the same time. That is two systems doing the same thing and both having to communicate with a completely different server. At a time Zenimax is trying to find a way to increase servers and has noted that the addition of new systems over the years has negatively impacted performance this becomes another reason why it is unlikely Zenimax will make this happen.

Yes, changing characters does require the main aspect of the gaming server to communicate with a different server.

And as I said in the portion of my previous statement that was edited out of what was quoted, Zenimax surely can make this happen. That is a certainty. I am just noting why it is unlikely. Nothing more than that.

Why would they need to make a new system? (Also what did I edit out?)

They already have a system for storing character appearances for quick loading on the character selection screen. (not sure how much overhead this would cause on a housing instance if the check for the Housing Object passes and subsequent call for account appearance data when loading the zone, the bugger probably would be if another account accesses the home when the owner isn't there).

And I'm not against a loading screen: Interacting with the character pops up a confirmation, yes calls the logout (which is near-instant in housing instances, edge-case needed to be checked for in-combat), with an immediate login call that the chosen NPC seeds.
  • UGotBenched91
    UGotBenched91
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And as I said in the portion of my previous statement that was edited out of what was quoted, Zenimax surely can make this happen. That is a certainty. I am just noting why it is unlikely. Nothing more than that.

Yes, but every player has access to a free home ( I think multiple).
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

They already have a system for storing character appearances for quick loading on the character selection screen. (not sure how much overhead this would cause on a housing instance if the check for the Housing Object passes and subsequent call for account appearance data when loading the zone, the bugger probably would be if another account accesses the home when the owner isn't there).

And I'm not against a loading screen: Interacting with the character pops up a confirmation, yes calls the logout (which is near-instant in housing instances, edge-case needed to be checked for in-combat), with an immediate login call that the chosen NPC seeds.

My bad on the edit comment. Thought the first sentence had been removed.

As far as the need for a different system, what is suggested is that we can swap characters without logging out of the game server. That is a significant departure from the current design which does log us out of the game server to a completely different server.

To do something that is notably different requires creating something that is notably different. As far as the storing of characters, that is not the issue at all.

Regardless, I highly doubt this will ever happen as it would take a decent amount of work to make happen and not everyone can use it while bringing very little to the game.

• Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Incorrect. A free home is not available to everyone from the start. A new player needs to have completed the introductory quest and get to a main zone, not a starter zone, to get the quest.

That is without getting into that a new player would have a lot to figure out to get to that point.

Also, a new player would not have a home to start with which means that the current design is a basic requirement, without a doubt.

• BenTSG
    BenTSG
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd personally *love* this idea, so here's my +1 to it!
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've been wondering (hoping) if this exact thing is the housing feature that's coming later this year. I'd love this so much
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage noble & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
  • Pixiepumpkin
    Pixiepumpkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Incorrect. A free home is not available to everyone from the start. A new player needs to have completed the introductory quest and get to a main zone, not a starter zone, to get the quest.

That is without getting into that a new player would have a lot to figure out to get to that point.

Also, a new player would not have a home to start with which means that the current design is a basic requirement, without a doubt.

No, @UGotBenched is CORRECT. Every player in this game has access to multiple free homes. Every INN room in this game is free to the player.
    Having to travel to a main city to get the quest to get the free home does not make the home "not a free home to a new player" as you assert.

Secondly, per the OP's suggestion of this thread, not owning a home would change nothing regarding the implementation of placing alts in a home, becasue a new player is most likely not going to have alts to start with.

Edited by Pixiepumpkin on March 19, 2024 12:57PM
    "𝕰𝖛𝖊𝖓 𝕲𝖔𝖉𝖘 𝖉𝖎𝖘𝖑𝖎𝖐𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖆𝖇𝖘𝖔𝖑𝖚𝖙𝖊, 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖎𝖙 𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖐𝖘 𝖔𝖋 𝖘𝖔𝖒𝖊𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖑𝖆𝖗𝖌𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖒𝖘𝖊𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖘." ― Sotha Sil
    PC/NA
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My bad on the edit comment. Thought the first sentence had been removed.

As far as the need for a different system, what is suggested is that we can swap characters without logging out of the game server. That is a significant departure from the current design which does log us out of the game server to a completely different server.

To do something that is notably different requires creating something that is notably different. As far as the storing of characters, that is not the issue at all.

Regardless, I highly doubt this will ever happen as it would take a decent amount of work to make happen and not everyone can use it while bringing very little to the game.

Changing characters without logging out of the game server would certainly be cool if it were able to make character transitions nearly seamless, but I have conceded both in the original post, and the subsequent response to you that I am fine with a not completely seamless implementation. I do not know how you have missed that twice now.

At the very least this could be a system to place player-alt characters in housing instances. It would be nice if it allowed automated logout/login calls for given characters hidden behind a loading screen (black screen). And I do agree that seamless transition of characters would be a pipe dream.

While it might not be usable for everyone, the unfortunate reality is that the majority of people don't fund ongoing costs for games. A minority does. I would guess the RP/Housing/Crate crowd in ESO's case. This kind of thing would target both the RP/Housing demographic. Solid income streams allow for more work or better working conditions which then can be used to polish other aspects of the game (assuming management has their priorities around creation of a solid service rather than monetary extraction), and smart managers may try to appease stakeholders while improving the game by pitching solutions that slate core service maintenance/upgrades with financial opportunities.
    Edited by Avran_Sylt on March 19, 2024 2:08PM
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No, @UGotBenched is CORRECT. Every player in this game has access to multiple free homes. Every INN room in this game is free to the player.
    Having to travel to a main city to get the quest to get the free home does not make the home "not a free home to a new player" as you assert.

Secondly, per the OP's suggestion of this thread, not owning a home would change nothing regarding the implementation of placing alts in a home, becasue a new player is most likely not going to have alts to start with.

While true in main, in fine there's another issue: each character can only obtain one inn room free. When I was new to the game it actually took me some time to figure out (even after making a gob of alts) that each alt could obtain a different free inn room.

This is one of those things that doesn't seem to have any "instructions" for it anywhere.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    And if we could exchange gear with these alt characters in our houses....
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kartalin wrote: »
    And if we could exchange gear with these alt characters in our houses....

Or at the very least deposit/retrieve items from their inventory. Would be fantastic.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

@Pixiepumpkin Please point out where I said there were no free homes. I do not see it.

I like the comment I placed in bold as it demonstrates the accuracy of my comment. If a new player has to travel to a main zone to get the quest to get the free home then the new player cannot have access to such a free home from the start.

• dmnqwk
    dmnqwk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A possible modifier to this would be allowing each character to set a 'home'.

Then, when you log in allow them to log in at the last spot, or log in to their 'home'.

It would have the bonus of encouraging house purchases which would sell more crowns for ZOS.
  • Julia_Nix
    Julia_Nix
    ✭✭✭
    Not going to happen. It will make houseguests useless meaning zos will make less $
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing to consider is it almost certainly wouldn't be a "momentary black screen" to switch between characters. What you're suggesting is basically just a different type of menu to choose your character. It's a more immersive one, but still only a UI change, it doesn't change the process the servers have to run to exit out of one character and load the new one so it won't make it quicker. Maybe you'll get 1 longer loading screen instead of 2 short ones (although you'll also have to load into the house) but it won't make it load faster.

For me personally I like the idea of having my characters as house guests, but I don't think I'd use this if it also dragged the character I'm logging into back into the house. One of the advantages of having multiple characters for me is I can leave them in the middle of doing something and I can do something else on a different character. For example when there's an event on I'll designate 1 character to do it and they'll stay in the event zone or at the quest hub, so it's convenient for me each day. Others times I don't have enough time to finish a whole public dungeon or something in one session so I'll log out part way through, knowing I can log back in exactly where I was. It would be annoying if a novelty character select menu ruined that.
    Julia_Nix wrote: »
    Not going to happen. It will make houseguests useless meaning zos will make less $

The solution to that is to make it a paid addition. You buy a 'houseguest slot' or something from the crown store and that allows you to make 1 character into a house guest.

Of course it would be better for players if it was free (or a one-time payment for all your characters) but if that's the only barrier to allowing it then there's an obvious solution.

The point they're making is the game would have to keep the current system as well as offering the new one, because it's entirely possible for someone to have multiple characters without having a home, so if the only way to switch characters was using a home they'd be locked out of that function.

It might only be a temporary problem if they were planning to get a home, because yes it is free and if you already know where to find the quest it's quick to complete, but it could still cause a new player to think the game or their account is broken if they've made 2 characters but haven't yet unlocked the ability to choose which one they play.

PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Muizer
    Muizer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello, pleased to meet you, I'm the Vestige.
    You must be mistaken I am the Vestige!
    Sorry to interrupt, but I could not help overhearing, were you two talking about me ....
    Intruder! For the pact!
    What? You traitor, trying to kick me out of my own house!
    Your house? That's rich, I paid for it with blood, sweat and tears
    Wearing armour I crafted for you!
    Anyone for a game of Tribute?
    Chorus: SHUT UP!
    Please stop making requests for game features. ZOS have enough bad ideas as it is!
  • PapaTankers
    PapaTankers
    ✭✭✭
    I love the idea.
    At that point I would be extremly happy if we could just fast swap between characters like lost ark is doing tho.
    At that point its really overdue.
  • Tra_Lalan
    Tra_Lalan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Love this idea. Fashion and housing are considered the true end game by many players, why not combine them?

Visiting a players house you could check out his characters and their current outfits, that is like super cool.
  • Pixiepumpkin
    Pixiepumpkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pixiepumpkin Please point out where I said there were no free homes. I do not see it.

I like the comment I placed in bold as it demonstrates the accuracy of my comment. If a new player has to travel to a main zone to get the quest to get the free home then the new player cannot have access to such a free home from the start.

You told @UGotBenched91 that they were incorrect for stating every player has access to a free home.
    I expressed to you that you were incorrect, that every player in the game has access to multiple free homes. Every INN room in the game is free to the player.

Your comment was not even remotely accurate.

PC/NA
  • KekwLord3000
    KekwLord3000
    ✭✭
    Yeah it will save us at least 1 loading screen every char swap, cause when we swap we have 1 load screen to char selection screen then another loading screen to load the map all over.
    If we could swap chars and reducing the load screen this could be really nice and save us a lot of hassle, this can sever everyone endgamers that tend to move gear a lot as well as casual who do daily writs especially the ones who do it on 16 chars.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

You told @UGotBenched91 that they were incorrect for stating every player has access to a free home.
    I expressed to you that you were incorrect, that every player in the game has access to multiple free homes. Every INN room in the game is free to the player.

I never said players did not get a free home. Please look at my posts in this thread.

and I pointed out that I have been proven 100% accurate that not every player has access to those homes as they do have some hoops to jump through when they first start playing this game. Sure, they are small obstacles but they are nonetheless very much barriers.

So that does mean that not every player in the game has access to those free homes. They only gain access after jumping through the hoops that @Pixiepumpkin accurately pointed out.

Thanks for your feedback.

I recall immediately creating two characters from the start which would not be possible if the current character select system was removed. The argument about free homes was based on not needing two systems, the current one and the one being suggested.

So being that some QoL would be removed if we changed the system to add a very small amount of QoL that forces a player to quickly obtain a home, even if it be free, it seems even less likely such a system will be added.

Oh, then there is the other problem that there is no means to select a character, even if there is only one character, unless the player has taken the time to get the home they may not even care about. The idea gets even less favorable.

Edited by Amottica on March 21, 2024 2:24AM
  • Pixiepumpkin
    Pixiepumpkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I had already acknowledged that as you just pointed out in the message I just quoted so that issue was very much moot. So yes, I already noted and that was my bad.

and I pointed out that I have been proven 100% accurate that not every player has access to those homes as they do have some hoops to jump through when they first start playing this game. Sure, they are small obstacles but they are nonetheless very much barriers.

So that does mean that not every player in the game has access to those free homes. They only gain access after jumping through the hoops that @Pixiepumpkin accurately pointed out.

Thanks for your feedback.

I recall immediately creating two characters from the start which would not be possible if the current character select system was removed. The argument about free homes was based on not needing two systems, the current one and the one being suggested.

So being that some QoL would be removed if we changed the system to add a very small amount of QoL that forces a player to quickly obtain a home, even if it be free, it seems even less likely such a system will be added.

Oh, then there is the other problem that there is no means to select a character, even if there is only one character, unless the player has taken the time to get the home they may not even care about. The idea gets even less favorable.

No one is suggesting to remove the current character select system, all they have requested was to be able to intereact with your alt in game as an NPC to switch characters. This would work seemlessly with the current system.

PC/NA
  • TonyH196
    TonyH196
    My firsts thoughts on this was YES!!! I had been asking for having our alts as just house guests but this would be taking it a few steps further and I am here for it. I can get behind this idea