The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

[Mechanic idea] Casting SCROLLS for ESO

Bo0137
Bo0137
✭✭✭✭
I was playing TES III Morrowind and noticed something really specific: The Elder Scrolls franchise has got rid of the so important and precious SCROLLS.

If we compare Morrowind to Skyrim, for example. The scrolls role in Skyrim is very much diminished. In fact, most people will get the scrolls and won't even use them! At the same time, scrolls in Morrowind play a very significant role, specially for new characters (they are powerful, they never miss and they don't weigh much).

And then we go to ESO and... there are no scrolls! (apart from the experience ones)

In my opinion, that's absolutely a bummer! And I didn't even notice this until today, when I was reflecting on the experience scroll.

A scroll should be a VERY important part of the Elder SCROLLS franchise. (Yes, I know the tittle refers to THE Elder Scrolls).

I think standard scrolls are really fun and could be implemented into ESO easily.

My idea: take advantage of the scribing system to craft SCROLLS.

What would be different from a skill to a scroll? The scroll would be a one-time consumable, wouldn't take resources, would have a casting time and would have a cooldown.

Scrolls would be more powerful than crafted spells, but you would have to cast them, and there would be a cooldown similar to a potion. There could even be a weakness while casting, like being more susceptible to off balance.

It would probably be inefficient in some content, like PVP or particular PVE scenarios. Honestly, it's all about FUN, roleplay and diversity. I actually would like them being 100% off-meta.

The scrolls could range from any spell available in the previous entries in the ES series.

The fun side of crafting a scroll rather than a spell would be its unicness: The effect should be way more crazy than the actual spells (even though less effective, since it has a one-time use followed by a cooldown, plus a cast time).

For example: let's say one day the devs release a fireball spell to craft. Good. There will be limitations (it can be spammed). The same fireball could be crafted into a scroll. The difference is it would be more "permissive" (more tweaks, like larger area of effect).

The other perk is actually being able to carry 20+ different scroll types in your bag so you are not limited by the 5 skills per bar. (You are limited by the cooldown and casting time though).

And you know what? Make it even weirder, like being able to polymorph opponents, levitating, recalling to a specific wayshrine costless, summoning a daedra (this would have to be limited though).

I can even envision scrolls being crafted to buff the character pre-fight.

I can also envision a dark, shady NPC that sells standard scrolls and blank scrolls to be crafted.

But again, it should be fun and off-meta. I'm not here to suggest a killer to PVP. I know the implications one powerful tool could do to PVP. Maybe make it only usable in combat?

Do you like the idea? Are you afraid of its implications?

Consider diversity in gameplay and maybe allow the devs to cook something that won't break the game
-On my shoulder, Ms. Ahvine
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like it at all. It was one reason I never played the entirety of Morrowind. It's a painfully inept mechanic as far as I'm personally concerned.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind the idea of scrolls, and the making of scrolls. I'd rather have more permanent skills than temporary ones, but perhaps making class skills into scrolls with a limiting factor. You could make scrolls made this way have a cooldown, or limit the number of scrolls you can carry or have slotted (if you slot them in this instance), or some combination of the two, and allow classes to use skills from other classes through this system. But I don't think it's actually super necessary. It'd be neat. But new skills should probably be given in skill lines or classes, making this kind of system limited. Scrolls in previous elder scrolls games were a way to cast more powerful magic that you don't yet have access to without spending resources other than the scroll. You didn't have skills like in ESO. So the two systems themselves kinda clash.
    Edited by merpins on March 14, 2024 8:17PM
  • DrNukenstein
    DrNukenstein
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    enchanted items used to be IMBA too back in the day.

You can practically play "ESO" in morrowind by getting creative with active enchanted items.
  • sharquez
    sharquez
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd personally love more variety in crafted consumables. Scrolls, Bombs, Traps. Give Crafters more things they can do.
    At least 3 of each class. PVPing Since IC.
  • VoidCommander
    VoidCommander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like it could be a new option for a gold sink in the game. Make buff scrolls for various activities that cost a great deal of gold from an NPC vendor. These buffs should be optional or maybe just a convenient time save mechanic. They shouldn't be something that gives unfair advantages in competitive scenes such as PvP or trials, but maybe an overland speed buff for x hours, harvesting efficiency increase, etc. There are tons of things they could do.
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like it could be a new option for a gold sink in the game. Make buff scrolls for various activities that cost a great deal of gold from an NPC vendor. These buffs should be optional or maybe just a convenient time save mechanic. They shouldn't be something that gives unfair advantages in competitive scenes such as PvP or trials, but maybe an overland speed buff for x hours, harvesting efficiency increase, etc. There are tons of things they could do.

Yeah, I'd rather not have to make a ton of these scrolls and use them on cooldown in order to have the advantage in PvE and PvP. Making the scrolls for non-combat purposes only sounds like the better option.
    PC/NA — Lone Werewolf, the Templar Khajiit Werewolf

Werewolf Should be Allowed to Sneak
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd rather not have more consumables to carry in our already limited inventory.

You may say they don't weigh much, but inventory in ESO works differently from inventory in TES. Every item here takes up an inventory slot, whether it weighs 0.1 unit or 50 units. It will certainly add to our inventory management nightmare.
  • Bo0137
    Bo0137
    ✭✭✭✭
    BretonMage wrote: »

You may say they don't weigh much, but inventory in ESO works differently from inventory in TES. Every item here takes up an inventory slot, whether it weighs 0.1 unit or 50 units. It will certainly add to our inventory management nightmare.

That's a great point!

I thought about that. What about we carry around a grimoire/parchment of scrolls that magically binds all the scrolls we posses? We could even receive a cool animation of our character opening the parchment and casting the scroll...

*Cool curiosity: did you know that gold weighed [a lot] in TES II Daggerfall (probably TES I as well) and you had to swap these coins at the bank for credit letters in order to not destroy your carrying capacity?
    -On my shoulder, Ms. Ahvine
  • LadyLavina
    LadyLavina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Bo0137

This was kind of a thing back near launch in Cyrodiil, so the mechanics for it exist.

There were consumable scrolls you could get that would summon a mage/warrior temporarily to fight for you in the area.

So that tells me your idea is probably doable.

g7rDihz.png
    PC - NA @LadyLavina 1800+ CP PvP Tank and PvP Healer
  • VoidCommander
    VoidCommander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BretonMage wrote: »

Honestly the concept of a limited inventory in MMOs is so outdated and predatory at this point. There is literally no reason for the game to have this problem. It is not a function of the game mechanics like it is in Runescape where limited inventory space is a factor in balancing. It is the blatant act of an MMO creating a deliberate problem for the sole purpose of selling you the solution. Problem in ESO espicially is that no matter how much space you buy, even if you cap it out, you will still never have enough storage space for PvP gear, Trial gear, Infinite Archive gear, Trash Clear gear, Bomb Build PvP gear, Trial Support DPS set alternate, etc. This problem becomes many times worse when you consider the possibilities with the Armory assistant allowing a DPS to run as a tank or healer, because now you have even MORE sets to store in your inventory.

ESO desperately needs to straight up double their inventory allotment for characters and banks. They could keep the escalating gold costs to do so and provide another (albeit temporary) gold sink for the game.
  • Ugrak
    Ugrak
    ✭✭✭
    Could be nice with scrolls functioning like potions, but being spells.

They should be worthwhile though for having such a long cooldown.
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could certainly see scrolls that have long buff times be used to pad missing buffs in a build and allow potions to be more free form than they are currently.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not like this. There are already too many consumables. To do anything competitive we have to eat food or drinks every 1-2 hours, drink potions every 45s, and burn through soul gems for resurrections and recharging weapons. Luckily poisons have fallen out of the meta. The potions are the biggest issue with end game accessibility, as the most desirable are Heroism potions at over 6000 gold each. That consumes a million gold in 2-3 hours. Adding more items that must be constantly replenished is not helpful, it’s just a chore.
  • Jestir
    Jestir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a nice potion alternative/modernization of potions

Potions are generally focused on restoring resources and a few buffs while scrolls could have more active uses and better coverage over buffs and debuffs
    Edited by Jestir on March 15, 2024 8:00PM