The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Practice dungeons

Malyore
Malyore
✭✭✭
What's everyone's thoughts on the idea of a dungeon mode that is for practicing/learning the mechanics? Many of the dlc dungeons can feel daunting to learn especially as a tank or in random dailies. I watch videos to learn the mechanics, but it doesn't substitute for experiencing it. And there are times when even with the group finder and dungeon finder that people just aren't playing the dungeon you want to learn, so practicing even on normal mode is unavailable many times.
So what if there was a way to just practice dungeons and not get any loot? That way you can sign up for vet hardmode etc and be more likely to get a group. I could also see the Infinite Archive could have a mode where you choose a boss to practice against.
Edited by Malyore on March 13, 2024 5:02PM
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't pug, only organise groups and we do this kind of thing where we work out the mechs for ourselves or look them up if we really get stuck. Are you in any guilds where you can pull a little dungeon group together for that kind of stuff?

I think what you are suggesting would be a huge amount of work for a limited audience when people could access the dungeon itself to practice the mechanics
    Soupy twist
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say it's better to experience it with people, this is an MMO. And not having solo self-sourced practice tools for every mechanic in the game helps temper toxic perfectionism of groups by having players need to experience it in the moment with one another.
  • Aislinna
    Aislinna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am a mediocre player who wanted to experience tanking all the veteran DLC dungeons, so I advertised in various discords to form a regular group. I instantly got more people interested than I anticipated, so I interviewed them and picked the three people who I felt had compatible attitudes and off we went, meeting once a week at a set time. Over the year, we all got better at the game and became friends in the process. :smile:

• Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    normal is the practice mode, just go into the dungeon with a low dps spec (like a tank with a DPS companion), or a tank and healer player with 2 dps companions
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    normal is the practice mode, just go into the dungeon with a low dps spec (like a tank with a DPS companion), or a tank and healer player with 2 dps companions

This was my initial reaction, too. But there are dungeons where normal does not come close to showing what the real mechanics are. Frostvault, Falkreath Hold, Scrivener's Hall, and especially Graven Deep are some of the worst offenders.

I don't know how a "practice" dungeon would work to solve what a YouTube video could not. Better off going in with a guild or friends who know the mechs to teach you.
    Edited by El_Borracho on March 13, 2024 5:50PM
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This was my initial reaction, too. But there are dungeons where normal does not come close to showing what the real mechanics are. Frostvault, Falkreath Hold, Scrivener's Hall, and especially Graven Deep are some of the worst offenders.

I don't know how a "practice" dungeon would work to solve what a YouTube video could not. Better off going in with a guild or friends who know the mechs to teach you.

if your going for non-HM, the mechanics are still the same between normal and vet, if you dont burn everything down super fast

when a new dungeon comes out i usually solo them on a tank + dps companion (my tank does around 8k dps, and the companion is probably maybe 10k dps if its not dead)

this usually gives me a clear idea of most of the mechanics of the dungeon (and will signify which ones are one shots if it triggers and deals 80% of my max hp in dmg)

of all dungeons you mention, its the same mechanics on normal and vet, vet just includes the 1 shots and normal does not so its more completable by the average player

one case where there is a difference between normal, and non-HM vet is actually oathsworn pit, only for the final boss fight, as you have to kill 2 bosses in the side rooms instead of just the 1 (one of the only cases i can think of where theres an actual difference between normal and non-HM vet) as they dont usually introduce extra mechs until you start adding HMs
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Malyore
    Malyore
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps it's time I just find some new guilds. Many of the pve guilds I'm part of are so quiet nowadays I can't even organize a dungeon with them. But I've been reluctant to leave them since they're the first ones I joined and are sentimental. But since we can only have a handful of guilds and if my gameplay experiences are diminishing because of them, I suppose it's time to find active guilds so I can just ask others to run things with me. Thanks for the input folks. It was a push I needed to stop pursuing or imagining workarounds.