The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Rare Recipe's Do You Read them or Sell Them?

ElderSmitter
ElderSmitter
✭✭✭✭
So, I tend to Sell Rare Recipe's (Blue and Purple) when I get them and read the cheap ones. (Excluding Dungeon Motif's) Even though I do not need the ESO Gold. I feel if Recipe's were treated like Item Sets, I would read everyone. Heck it is a chore to even see what I have already read besides Provisioning. Plus, I do not even know what is out there to acquire. Unless I am missing some easy way to see what needs to be collected the Recipe Category needs a makeover.
Edited by ElderSmitter on March 4, 2024 9:24PM
  • DoofusMax
    DoofusMax
    ✭✭✭
    Unless I'm misunderstanding, the character's knowledge of purple/gold recipes is at least one of the things which affects the chance for a Provisioning Master Writ drop. I don't sell a purple recipe unless and until every character already knows it, but I'll sometimes be a bit more greedy when it comes to gold recipes.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sell high buy low.
  • ElderSmitter
    ElderSmitter
    ✭✭✭✭
    DoofusMax wrote: »
    Unless I'm misunderstanding, the character's knowledge of purple/gold recipes is at least one of the things which affects the chance for a Provisioning Master Writ drop. I don't sell a purple recipe unless and until every character already knows it, but I'll sometimes be a bit more greedy when it comes to gold recipes.

I am not sure either. I get Gold Master Writs from everything besides Provisioning. I just wish Recipe's had a category like Item Sets where you could see what you were missing from each zone. That would be great and make collecting them lots more fun.
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    i usually learn the first time i find a recipe and only sell duplicates
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I learn anything I don't already know on my main character.

Anything my main already knows gets moved to the Junk tab and then goes into my bank so each of my alts can learn it if they don't already know it. (Putting it on the Junk tab is just to make it easier for my alts to check them, instead of having to scroll through everything on the Consumables tab.)

Anything that everyone already knows gets unmarked and then-- unless it's a motif, outfit style page, or runebox-- goes into a guild bank for fellow guildies to use.

Motifs, outfit style pages, and runeboxes are handled a bit differently.

Motifs that my alts don't know yet but can't learn yet because they don't meet the requirements yet are stored in my bank for future use once my alts are able to learn them.

Motifs that everyone already knows either goes into a guild bank or, if it isn't very easy to come by, goes into my bank so any future characters that I create will be able to learn them. I very rarely sell anything, but if I see someone in zone chat or guild chat asking to buy a motif page that I happen to have in my bank, or wanting to trade a page they don't need for one I happen to have, I'll gift them my page or trade mine for theirs. For example, one time I was running around Betnikh digging up some treasure maps before the server was due to shut down for maintenance when I saw someone in zone chat looking for one of the Daggerfall motif pages. I checked my banking assistant, saw that I had an extra, and mailed it to the player for free just minutes before the server was taken offline.

I also gift or trade outfit style pages if I see anyone asking for something I've got, and gift any runeboxes to people who might be asking for them. For example, a few weeks ago a player in zone chat said they'd just started on PC after playing for years on console, and they were asking if anyone happened to have a runebox for the Nordic Bath Towel that they could buy. I sent them one of mine for free.

Any fragments for collectibles which I've already collected usually go into a guild bank as well.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • IsharaMeradin
    IsharaMeradin
    ✭✭✭✭
    I learn everything on every character and only sell the excess. I have 10 characters on my Steam account and their order has been arranged in the order in which I learn items. Meaning that when I have plenty in the bank, I start at the top of the character list and learn what can be learned as I go down the list of characters. Then when all on the Steam account have learned something, it gets mailed to my Epic account. If that single character does not know it, they learn it, otherwise it goes into one of their guild stores.

It does help having an addon that lists what characters know or do not know a particular recipe or motif. Plus having an addon that lets me set up categories within the inventory / bank allows me to not have to scroll or search very far for each character's learnable items.
    PC-NA / PC-EU
    ID @IsharaMeradin
    Characters NA
    Verin Jenet Eshava - Dark Elf Warden (main)
    Nerissa Valin - Imperial Necromancer (secondary)
    Lugsa-Lota-Stuph - Argonian Sorcerer
    Leanne Martin - Breton Templar
    Latash Gra-Ushaba - Orc Dragonknight
    Ishara Merádin - Redguard Nightblade
    Arylina Loreal - High Elf Sorcerer
    Sasha al'Therin - Nord Necromancer
    Paula Roseróbloom - Wood Elf Warden
    Ja'Linga - Khajiit Arcanist

Characters EU
    Shallan Veil - Wood Elf Warden

ID @IsharaMeradin-Epic
    Characters NA
    Ja'Sassy-Daro - Khajiit Nightblade
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If my main doesn't know a recipe, blueprint or motif, then it gets eaten.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Learn them. I don't mess with the guild trader system, so no, don't sell 'em.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sell purple and gold ones. I learn blues if they sell for under 10k.
  • Kite42
    Kite42
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just popping in to say I'd really appreciate a way to see a stickerbook of recipes, abd also to filter by level at the crafting station. Rare is the time I want a level 50CP meal.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kite42 wrote: »
    I'm just popping in to say I'd really appreciate a way to see a stickerbook of recipes, abd also to filter by level at the crafting station. Rare is the time I want a level 50CP meal.

I'd love to see a new icon added in the column where the Intricate and Ornate icons are shown, to indicate a recipe/motif/etc. which is not yet known on that character.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read on my main if I don't know it and then either sell the duplicates or sell them in the trader, depending on what it is and my mood.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on March 5, 2024 6:42AM
  • Kite42
    Kite42
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it still the case that recipes below purple rarity don't contribute to master writ chances in any way?

I don't learn green and blue on my main crafter simply because of the annoying clutter when you go to actually craft stuff.
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I learn everything on my main.

All blues and greens that are unknown by my other chars go to them. I sell a blue known by all on a trader; greens are vendor trash.

Depending on the price of purples, I either sell them or distribute to my other chars.
  • VisitHammerfell
    VisitHammerfell
    ✭✭✭
    The only one I would even consider selling on NA is the Chef Arquitius's Lost Thesis, unless something else came close to the 100 million and up mark. On EU, I think I would consider selling anything 20 million and up. Otherwise, my main account mains learn everything. I often feed leftover motifs (New Moon Acolyte, Sul Xan, alliance, etc) and some plans and recipes to other characters but will sell some here and there especially things like Elsweyr, purple and gold Necrom/Apocrypha, etc.
    Edited by VisitHammerfell on March 5, 2024 7:33AM
    FOR THE COVENANT!
    PS NA 2200+ CP
    🦁 Colonel 1 (25)

PS EU 1300+ CP
    🦁 Tribune 2 (28)

PS NA Alt 500+ CP
    🦁 Captain 1 (19)

Bring back Crafty Lerisa (with same voice actress)
  • quinancia
    quinancia
    ✭✭✭
    I used to learn all. Now, if it is new I sell the high gold ones and buy later when the price goes down
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I like the look of it, I'll learn it; if not, it gets sold. Or maybe I'll just learn it if I feel like it. I don't really have a system tbh.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My main use for gold is buying recipes and motifs for my crafter, so if I sold recipes I don't know to get gold I'd be going in circles. Maybe I could make a slight profit by selling one for more than it's worth and then buying it cheaply, if I got lucky, but I don't need the gold so it's not worth the hassle of doing that.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I learn everything on my main. Sell stuff I already know. Usually don't know how rare something may be until I price check it.
  • Silaf
    Silaf
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is slightly unrelated but i really wish recipes and furnishing plans could be account bond like akivements.
  • GooGa592
    GooGa592
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read every one I don't have already.
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My main reads learns all recipes/furnishings, regardless of their market value.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Kite42 wrote: »

yesss that would be so awesome!
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i always use anything i need to learn still

unknown tracker addon helps me keep track of motif knowledge on my main without actually being on my main (also can work for provisioning recipes and blueprints too)

also use master recipe list addon as well to track furnishing and provisioning

ill sell anything that i already know though
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • kaushad
    kaushad
    ✭✭✭✭
    Read. Guilds are too much hassle and they sell for like 10gp the normal way.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Generally, Use first, then sell. But it also depends on the "how" of acquiring them. If it is an activity that I think I am going to be doing a lot of, I may sell first until the market drops and I can either buy the recipe cheaper than I can sell it later, or I can get another drop reasonably.

But like, if it is a super rare plan or recipe, definitely learning first.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I learn everything on every character and only sell the excess. I have 10 characters on my Steam account and their order has been arranged in the order in which I learn items. Meaning that when I have plenty in the bank, I start at the top of the character list and learn what can be learned as I go down the list of characters. Then when all on the Steam account have learned something, it gets mailed to my Epic account. If that single character does not know it, they learn it, otherwise it goes into one of their guild stores.

It does help having an addon that lists what characters know or do not know a particular recipe or motif. Plus having an addon that lets me set up categories within the inventory / bank allows me to not have to scroll or search very far for each character's learnable items.

I really want that on console. ESOA is very useful on PC, but knowing who knows what on console is almost a futile task.
    Edited by FlopsyPrince on March 5, 2024 9:50PM
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Comment deleted as my views and opinions are not relevant to ZoS.
    Edited by CGPsaint on April 19, 2024 2:16AM
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • Oliviander
    Oliviander
    ✭✭✭✭
    CGPsaint wrote: »

I managed to buy 2 of the Chef Arquitius's Lost Thesis fragments, so I was able to eat one and sell the other for a tidy profit. If you can find a steady supply of mats, then selling 150% PvP food can be rather profitable.
    LUCKY YOU
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I should note I have passed many onto my alts, but I have been just focusing on my main on each platform lately. Though some sell for so little it may not be worth it.

Recipes almost always get learned by all I can.

I do like ESOA information on PC better than the "who knows" on console.
    PC
    PS4/PS5