The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Templar quietly came out near the top for Update 41in PVE

ElderSmitter
ElderSmitter
✭✭✭✭
For PVE overland your usually over the Breach Cap anyways. So, gaining 100 Weapon damage is no small buff using POTL instantly giving you Sundered and Weapon Damage.

+ Instantly Getting Sundered again when POTL Explodes giving you More Weapon Damage for fights lasting longer than 6 seconds + the Sundered Damage Status effect by 106% which should also buff Burning Light and Balanced Warrior's Passive.

+ We trigger Overcharged a lot and now Getting 106% More damage when triggered with some tiny Magicka restore

Then we get a Boost to our Shields while Tanking by 6-12% When using Minor or Major Vitality. I love running Malubeth Scourger Monster Set. Very underrated in high damage content gives you Major Vitality. SO you get 12% Shield Buff (Radiant Ward) on top of your CP tree (Bastion and additional 15% boost/buff) while also getting an additional 8% Healing from Mending (Sacred Ground) We also already get an additional 10% Block bonus from Sacred Ground Passive which works awesome with Restoring Focus

Sun Shield when I am tanking is a no brainer so adding 6-12% More of a damage shield on top of an already great Damage Shield is sweet. Plus, Free Minor Protection.

I already Love Templar Tanking and even more excited for the upcoming changes for my DPS and Tank!

Just imagine when We get a REAL Buff hopefully in the next Update Chapter Release.

My Templar DPS easily clears 100k on the Atro Trial and it may not be a top score pusher like the 130k+ DPS classes but when you do this much damage it really does not matter other than pushing Trial Atro's for Practice and personal goals which is lots of fun!

I probably even left out even more stacking perks but did not want this post to be too long.

Cheers!
Edited by ElderSmitter on March 1, 2024 11:32AM
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    With the increased importance of status effects you pointed out, it would also help if they finally fixed Jabs so it procs them at the rate it should as an AoE direct damage ability, not like it does now (less than half that).
  • BXR_Lonestar
    BXR_Lonestar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been too busy in the PVP campaign to notice this. Sounds like I'll need to take a hard look and maybe rework my templar tank.
  • SilkInTheStrings
    SilkInTheStrings
    Soul Shriven
    Looking forward to trying this since I main stamplar
    Daylight Dancer - Redguard Templar
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Damage might be fine, but Templar hasn't been fun since U35. Jabs hits like a sack of feathers, looks and feels terrible to use (see old posts of mine on the importance of good animation, from the perspective of an animator), and does less damage than flurry. We rely on the execute phase to do the majority of our damage. Take god beam out of the rotation, and Templar would be at the bottom of the charts. It's not fun to play this way. Templar did very similar damage before the change in U35, but it was fun to play it. now it isn't. That's not winning in my opinion. If I want to play a beam build, I can play Arcanist.
    Edited by merpins on March 1, 2024 4:17PM
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice, I haven’t tried Templar on PTS this cycle. That is good to hear it gained some damage. Combine that with the Arcanist nerfs, and we may see more than one class for DPS. The Arc meta was getting really dull, with that 6s beam of boredom (good only if you’d like to sip drinks and eat snacks mid-rotation).
  • Telos_Tim
    Telos_Tim
    ✭✭✭
    Just imagine when We get a REAL Buff hopefully in the next Update Chapter Release.

How can you say that Templar silently landed near the top in the same OP where you admit that the class didn’t receive a “REAL Buff”?

Their lack of cleave compared to Arcanist has not been addressed, neither has the class received any new group utility to provide, leaving Templar DPS undesirable, and Templar Tank dead last.

Survivability has not been a problem on any class for PvE since the CP overhaul, and Sun Shield is still a horrible skill, and tacking 6-12% onto a small value does nothing. That skill sees minimal use in all content, and needs a rework.
    Edited by Telos_Tim on March 1, 2024 5:28PM
  • ssewallb14_ESO
    ssewallb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The thing is any tank can survive easily.

Templar needs better damage support and control.
  • ElderSmitter
    ElderSmitter
    ✭✭✭✭
    Telos_Tim wrote: »

How can you say that Templar silently landed near the top in the same OP where you admit that the class didn’t receive a “REAL Buff”?

Their lack of cleave compared to Arcanist has not been addressed, neither has the class received any new group utility to provide, leaving Templar DPS undesirable, and Templar Tank dead last.

Survivability has not been a problem on any class for PvE since the CP overhaul, and Sun Shield is still a horrible skill, and tacking 6-12% onto a small value does nothing. That skill sees minimal use in all content, and needs a rework.

Well, let's see I can already do over 100k DPS on a Trial Atro with my Templar (I did not say Templar's were the strongest either). Jabs hits for almost 30k per Jab 90k total. So, imagine if a Templar could get access to another Major Buff is all i am saying. Non-Trial Jabs hits for around 45k Total give and take on Crits. POTL hits for around 100k On Trial Dummy and Just under that non-Trial. RO hits for 145-180k on Trial Dummy and easily clears 100k on non-Trial Dummy. Now add in the new Weapon Damage and Status effects for Templar making us hit harder. As I said most enemies are maxed out on Penetration anyways so losing that POTL breach for 2 seconds does not matter. Stack the Weapon Damage and Status effects and Yes Templar is Stronger.

As for Tanking Sun Shield is amazing and I can Tank the Hardest Trial content in the game. In Dungeons i strip down and wear PA and Spaulder most times. Templar Tanks need virtually no healing except for Mechanics and are Vastly undervalued. Can Speed Rez when groups start wiping too!

It is a fact Most who talk down Templar Tanks use just do not know how to build a Templar Tank. Simple as that. Now throw in a Major Buff to Shields that is Just Gravy!

Cheers
  • Telos_Tim
    Telos_Tim
    ✭✭✭
    As for Tanking Sun Shield is amazing and I can Tank the Hardest Trial content in the game…

It is a fact Most who talk down Templar Tanks use just do not know how to build a Templar Tank.

Here’s the disconnect.

Just because you can do something, does not make it a desirable option. One can make an entire list of basic Tank essentials that are not found on our kit because it lacks a native skill line for tanking…
    • No health based burst heal.
    • No immobilize ST/AoE.
    • No defensive ultimate.
    • No AoE stun.
    • No pull.
    • No taunt.
    • No group Minor/Major Courage.
    • No group Major Brutality/Sorcery.
    • No group Minor/Major Resolve.
    • No group Minor/Major Protection.
    • No group Minor/Major Vitality.
    • No group Minor/Major Toughness.
    • No Minor Brittle.
    • No Minor/Major Vulnerability.
    • No Minor/Major Breach.
    • ect…

While those are some of the pain points, there are so many more. Templar has to source all of its tank utility outside of it’s kit, and that’s a problem.

To say that people who see the problem clearly just don’t know how to build the class is asinine @ElderSmitter, especially considering you have no idea who you’re talking to.
    Edited by Telos_Tim on March 1, 2024 6:15PM